Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

uniform rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default uniform rant

Alright, with all due respect, and I'm certainly not trying to imply one branch is in some way better than another

But on what effing planet is it acceptable to wear cammies to a military funeral?

I don't care if its authorized. That's not my concern. I'm just trying to figure out the mentality of the person standing in front of their closet, dress uniforms to the left, service uniforms to the right, utilities (work uniform) in a pile on the floor next to your dirty combat boots and you pick the cammies?!?! Seriously?

I've been on funeral detail eight times and every single time I had my Alphas laid out the day before. Polish, polish, and repolish my medals, EGAs, and buttons. I could see myself in my corframs which meant they needed another polish. I go over my entire uniform no less than three times with IP scissors and vacuum my car so there is no lint. I do it, not because I'm ocd or some boot-*** boot but because that's the least I can do to show my appreciation to the deceased. And, ill be damned if some idiot toolbag doesn't show up in wrinkled cammies and dirty boots....every damned time.

If I was a family member or even the deceased, I'd rather you show up in jeans and a polo shirt than your work uniform

End rant
Old 11-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's because some people are just lazy, inconsiderate good for nothing pieces of crap. And are too lazy to maintain whatever "dress" uniform they own. It's a softer, gentler military now too so that doesn't help anything.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

if it were me and i was there i would have definatly said something to the **** bag that is very disrespectful in my book i dont care if its allowed or not and dress blues and alphas are awsome i would find every reason i could to wear mine
Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Agreed that's unprofessional. Maybe they lost a bag on the airline... :-)
Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's actually happened and between three of us, an awesome military surplus store owner, a field sewing kit, and a hotel manager letting us borrow an iron, we were able to piece together a damn nice dress alpha uniform. Plus, the Marine traveled in his service alphas so he had a uniform just in case

No reason in my book to wear cammies unless you just want attention from the masses
Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 AM
10 Second Club

Extreme circumstances its not even acceptable. Just wear a damn suit or dress pants and polo shirt. My ex-wife had sliced my blues and alphas up before she moved on. Then a few weeks later my buddy that I had been Plt Sgt with in the same Co. on our last deployment was killed I went right out and bought a whole new set of blues paid a **** ton for them to be set-up and altered within a few days and then was at the funeral looking sharp. If that wouldn't have worked I just would have worn a suit. Maybe that is just the Gunny in me...
Old 11-26-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow..That's really too bad. I'm really shocked that nobody said anything to him (maybe out of respect to the family of the deceased??) I've been off of active duty since 2001, so maybe the mentallity has changed a bit. I've heard stories of Marines wearing shower shoes to the px and trash like that (not sure if that's true or not), and now this?? That is just disrespectful.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

They weren't Marines in cammies at the funerals... That's why I said I didn't care if it was authorized b/c I know of at least one branch that allows it. We actually look forward to wearing our dress uniforms.

I don't know about wearing shower shoes in public but another thing that pisses me off is I work across from TAMU and I don't know how many times I've seen reservists (again, other branches) that wear their cammies to class. Serious, did your daddy ignore you so much, you gotta wear your weekend warrior uniform to class?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh. Missed that part. Yeah man, that sucks. But you're right, they don't have the same standards that we do. I've worked with all of the branches during a joint task force in Alaska in 99, and it's like night and day. I'm not one to bash on any branch, but I really wish it was "across the board" on certain things.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ultra mega super duper face palm........for real. i don't care if the dude was a full bird i would have pulled him aside and been like look sir, that **** aint sat. fix yourself.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 11-27-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know if it was my funneral i would be happy that people showed up but that just my op
Old 12-07-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cammies at a military funeral = major douche bag move.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Wow. He definitely would have gotten an asschewing from me after it was over. I always wore my Dress Blues to funerals including my mothers.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

was it a new guy?? maybe an E1-E3? or was it a service member with years of experience on his back?

I know new guys love to wear their ******* uniforms to every damn place they go, ie, to the mall, to the ******* movies, halloween parties, etc...

Older guys migh just not have their uniforms ready, which is a douche bag move on my book, I've heard of an E-7 that didn't go to his nephew BMT grad in service uniform because it wasn't up to date. At least for me, uniforms are a big part of showing respect to our veterans...
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hooya to that. Not so much for funerals, but seeing the "regular" Navy people walk around on base gets on my nerve. They wear there uniforms like crap, boots or dress shoes not shined. I take respect in wearing the uniforms. I want to make sure i look sqaured away especially in public. i represent the military. everything should be perfect.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I had to guess the tools that hit funerals in their utility uniform are probably Army soldiers. The discipline in the Army is in the toilet now.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
If I had to guess the tools that hit funerals in their utility uniform are probably Army soldiers. The discipline in the Army is in the toilet now.
I've seen them all, being part of the base honor guard we travel all over south AZ, we do funerals for navy and AF but we also see a lot of army funerals and all of them wear uniforms like crap
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266

just got out of bootcamp and i must say this is very true.. i was real disappointed seeing how the DS's let so much **** slide.. they went real soft. it aint what it use to be..

this indeed sounded like an army story, not hating on my branch, by all means i am proud as hell to be in the army, but as many of you have seen the lack of discipline in these newer generation of soldiers, you see a couple bad apples you assume all are the same.. ive seen people wearing acu trousers with boots wearing a logo tshirt like it was a casual outfit, or people wearing the acu's as part of regular clothing ??
dont want to go off ranting but those bad apples are the reason i didnt want to join in the first place..

feelt wrong wearing cammies to go out to eat with the family when i got back, but a funeral is something else, whatever reason they had i have no idea why, but very true some uniforms are just uncalled for at certain places

and as one of the good DS's that i had the honor to of been trained by said: There are 2 ways of wearing the United States Army uniform.. the RIGHT way.. or NOT AT ALL.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with the OP that it is unacceptable to wear "cammies" or ACU's to a funeral service but did you confront the soldier. Was there an explaination to his **** up or was he just a plain **** up. I think he probably was just another shitbag but he doesnt know this because it doesnt sound like anyone let him know. If the OP is an NCO I would hope that you made an on the spot correction because ranting on this site is useless in this situation, unless you know the **** up is registered here and will eventually come across this thread.

I admit that the Army has gotten softer towards it's soldiers because these days people are losing rank left and right over stupid **** and some of it just doesnt fly. But simply chewing a soldiers *** for being a **** up is still allowed and calling a soldier out is also allowed. There is still a responsibility regardless of whatever restrictions might be out there when correcting a soldier, you still need to make the correction or else you are as guilty as the **** up. So basically, if it bothered you so much that this soldier was "disrespecting" a fallen service member that he probably knew and was at least there paying his respects, then you should have said something. Once again I am not disagreeing with the fact that it is wrong to wear your service uniform to a funeral service for a fallen commrade.

Last edited by robcas47; 12-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so is it disrespectful for an entire base (civilians and military)to line the streets from the airfield to the base chapel while wearing ABU's/camo and saluting as the fallen passes by with the Colors draped over the coffin in the back of a hurst?

Quick Reply: uniform rant