Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Meeting with a recruiter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meeting with a recruiter

I'm meeting with an Army recruiter on Monday. I'm going to try to get something with IT or possibly an MP if there are any positions available. I took the ASVAB a few years ago and made a 74 but I should do better now after taking a few more math classes.My uncle is an E-6 so I have a basic understanding of most things. Anybody have any specific questions I should ask? I'm 23,married with a kid on the way, and will be an E-3 going in with my college credits. I already know to get any promises written in the contract or it's not valid. I'm looking to make it a career not just a 4 year thing. Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 AM
12 Second Club

I'd try to get your asvab up so you can have more options as far as jobs go. Coming from my personal experience working with joes, think hard about MP especially if you're married with a kid on the way. Some of the guys and gals i work with whine all the time about thier job as an MP and fail to realize what the job consisted of and made that choice themselves. When I first signed up, I never really listened to the recruiter telling the bs but later found out with time he never really told me bs so there are some good recruiters out there. I was initially going to do 3 but re-uped for 6.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Teching In

my suggestion is skip the army and go talk to the air force. If you want an IT job thats where its at. Just be careful with the army. I have heard a ton of horror stories about the army. Sign up for one job, have it put in their contract, and suddenly after basic they become infantry because of manning issues.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not going to tell you what to do or bash any other services, but if you think about the Navy, you can send me a PM about anything you want to know. I am a recruiter in Clearwater for the past few years..
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

IT go AF.

all classes are college acredited, and you will do more with a computer.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
IT go AF.

all classes are college acredited, and you will do more with a computer.
As well as with the Navy...
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
IT go AF.

and you will do more with a computer.

Myth.

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Myth.

This is the AF and Navy making **** up. LOL.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Navy also

Rx Bruce/LSCM

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Pick your duty station if you can. Then get the shortest contract possible. You can always reenlist if you like it plus when you reenlist you'll have options again about your duty station etc. I also never met a single person who was forced into being in the Infantry after basic lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by acertx
Pick your duty station if you can. Then get the shortest contract possible. You can always reenlist if you like it plus when you reenlist you'll have options again about your duty station etc. I also never met a single person who was forced into being in the Infantry after basic lol.
I was using infantry as an example. was just saying that they were switched out of the job they signed up for is all.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by afclubkid21
Just be careful with the army. I have heard a ton of horror stories about the army. Sign up for one job, have it put in their contract, and suddenly after basic they become infantry because of manning issues.
Not being a smart *** but, please explain this.

EDIT:
Ok, I see now, I was reading this and logged in and then typed the above

Last edited by Asian LSX; 12-01-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: was logging in after reading
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, if I were going to make a career out of the Military, I think I would choose the Air Force over the Army. I was in the Marine Corps, so I don't have any experience in the two, other than working with them during a joint task force. I'm not trying to bash the Army or anything, I just think I would go a different route for a career. That's just me though. Also, whatever you choose is completely up to you, but I (personally) would wait and enjoy the time with your new child cause you are going to be gone for a while once you take that step. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had looked at the Air Force first but the wait for basic for them is way longer than the Army. As far as the Navy goes, I don't like the thought of being on a ship for 6 months. I've been out of a job since July and my funds are drying up or I would wait. If I can get into basic by the middle of February, I'll be out in time for the baby to be born.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalt1
I had looked at the Air Force first but the wait for basic for them is way longer than the Army. As far as the Navy goes, I don't like the thought of being on a ship for 6 months. I've been out of a job since July and my funds are drying up or I would wait. If I can get into basic by the middle of February, I'll be out in time for the baby to be born.
Hmm possibly be on a ship for 6 months or deploy for 12 witht the army...not including pre deployment build ups.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went on the USS Alabama when I was like 12 and had to duck to go through every door and didn't like it at all.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

The Navy isn't for everyone. Being on a ship isnt that bad though..and having a 6 month deployment where you can see half the world is better than 12 months in the desert.

Hope you get something good that will benefit you in the long run..
Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

I chased a dream of playing ball which ended in injury so I never got the opportunity to serve. All I can say to you is if you are doing it for the right reasons I hope everything works out to your expectations and THANK-YOU!

As goes to ALL of you LS1Techers that serve.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want a job that will always be available on the outside if you were to ever get out, look into something helicopter or aviation related.... with me being a 15J (OH-58D electronics) and 15E (UAV Technician) I can get out and have a good job within a few weeks. feel free to PM me if you want more info on the jobs.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My uncle is wanting me to do Contracting when I get to an E-5. He says he'll make 100k+ a year after he retires. I'm not real sure what I want to do but I have to get a list of what's open. I'll need to start running soon to make sure I have no problems with the running. The pushups and situps I don't think will be too bad.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know for a fact that the UAV field had a lot of contractor slots open, and they start out at 140k being deployed....

Quick Reply: Meeting with a recruiter