Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

anyone do OCC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anyone do OCC?

I recently graduated and would like to do firefighting but the stories of my brother-in-law as a marine have had an influence on me and i'm just weighing all my options. right now I feel kind of stuck settling (taking some courses on fire administration and fire strategies), i've been applying and looking into departments that do recruitment for firefighting. anyways, i've been looking into OCC and just had some questions (i'm not quite ready to go in and talk to a recruiter).

i've heard of infantry and non-infantry marines and don't know how each is decided. if you are non-infantry what are your chances of deployment to a "war zone" area? (i know that will be my family's number 1 question)

Also, I've visited the website and seen your specializing training and was wondering how you would do the ARFF..that is something my brother-in-law did and i am very interested.

Lastly, what is the transition like from average life to being an officer in the marine corps? i know the OCC is 6mo of training but enlisted marines at the age of 18 get to work up and earn their ranks...I guess it is weird and awkward to say but someone with a degree jumping up to a commissioned officer position seems like cheating almost (i hope that wording came out ok and not weird..). I wouldn't want to cheat anyone out of their service, if that makes sense..I guess it would just be weird to become an officer so fast when others are actively working on it.

Sorry, i know this is y'alls forum to post about cars and other military issues but I just don't know how to go on a usmc forum and ask these questions..i feel more comfortable on ls1tech

thanks servicemen,

J

Last edited by Silver35thZ; 02-21-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
I recently graduated and would like to do firefighting but the stories of my brother-in-law as a marine have had an influence on me and i'm just weighing all my options. right now I feel kind of stuck settling (taking some courses on fire administration and fire strategies), i've been applying and looking into departments that do recruitment for firefighting. anyways, i've been looking into OCC and just had some questions (i'm not quite ready to go in and talk to a recruiter).

i've heard of infantry and non-infantry marines and don't know how each is decided. if you are non-infantry what are your chances of deployment to a "war zone" area? (i know that will be my family's number 1 question)

Also, I've visited the website and seen your specializing training and was wondering how you would do the ARFF..that is something my brother-in-law did and i am very interested.

Lastly, what is the transition like from average life to being an officer in the marine corps? i know the OCC is 6mo of training but enlisted marines at the age of 18 get to work up and earn their ranks...I guess it is weird and awkward to say but someone with a degree jumping up to a commissioned officer position seems like cheating almost (i hope that wording came out ok and not weird..). I wouldn't want to cheat anyone out of their service, if that makes sense..I guess it would just be weird to become an officer so fast when others are actively working on it.

Sorry, i know this is y'alls forum to post about cars and other military issues but I just don't know how to go on a usmc forum and ask these questions..i feel more comfortable on ls1tech

thanks servicemen,

J
Infantry or non-infantry is decided by you. You should go to a recruiter and ask the questions, that's what they are for. Being an officer will put you in a position of extreme responsibility. You will have to make decisions that might not make you popular. Going from civilian life to the Marines is a weird experiance. Your whole way at looking at life will change. Being infantry, you might go to more dangerous places than some other MOS's. Again, I'd go talk to a recruiter, you don't have to sign up right then and there lol.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't feel like you are cheating your way to a higher rank, they will have you trained up to standards before you leave OCS. It's just the route you chose to take. Just don't be the 2nd or 1st LT that thinks he knows it all because you're an O. There are E5's, 6's, and 7's that have been doing their job for years before you got there and they can make you look really good or really stupid all depends on how you treat them. My advice is to attach yourself to their hip and learn as much as you can from them, until you get some experience in your field. Joining the military is a life altering event, be ready and have fun.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Launching!

thanks for the tips guys! i appreciate it. I use their website a lot to learn about the different things but all the different routes, positions, fields, etc get a little confusing. I wish they had a live chat display or something
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you put in the work to get your degree, get the most out of it. There's a ton of responsibility in being an officer and you will be held accountable for every single person under your command which may or may not be what you're looking for.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm infantry but I think this applies across the board

dont be that 2ndLT that feels he is above rubbing elbows with his enlisted men. On the grand scheme of things, you're no better than that Pvt that just graduated from MOS school. Dont be afraid to rub elbows with the men that'll be driving your *** around and throwing themselves in front of a bullet for you. Yes, we have to call you 'Sir'... yes, we have to salute you... but that does not mean we have to respect you like that Co Gunny that has more medals and scars than you can count. AND, I dont know about the other branches, but in my Marine Corps, a JEW will correct you in a heartbeat if you disrespect an NCO/SNCO without cause.
Sorry to rant but nothing sickens me more than a O1 fresh out of TBS treating enlisted Marines like Recruits in receiving and talking down to combat Veterans

Quick Reply: anyone do OCC?