Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Question about ASVAB score and MEPs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about ASVAB score and MEPs

Alright, Just have a couple questions about my ASVAB score and MEPs. About just over a year ago I was in the process of enlisting for the Air Force I took my ASVAB and scored pretty well, did the whole MEPs thing and got my ship date for basic. Well about a month before my ship date I ended up having to have surgery done that had about a 6 month healing time table so I ended up having to drop or was discharged if you want to put it that way. They said as long as I have my medical records updated I can reenlist as long as its before 2 years. Lately the way the AF is going as far as being "overpopulated" and trying to cut back as well as many people trying to join I am looking at my other options such as the Army at the moment. So my question is though will all my information thats in the system and my ASVAB score be good even If I did decide to go army? Or would I have to start over from scratch and retest on the ASVAB which is not a big deal just trying to decide what I want to do. Local ARMY recruiters are busy at the moment so I haven't been able to get a chance to get with them to find out so if anyone on here could maybe give some input on that? I did meet with the AF guy last week and he did confirm all my information was still in the system so I know its there.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Alright, Just have a couple questions about my ASVAB score and MEPs. About just over a year ago I was in the process of enlisting for the Air Force I took my ASVAB and scored pretty well, did the whole MEPs thing and got my ship date for basic. Well about a month before my ship date I ended up having to have surgery done that had about a 6 month healing time table so I ended up having to drop or was discharged if you want to put it that way. They said as long as I have my medical records updated I can reenlist as long as its before 2 years. Lately the way the AF is going as far as being "overpopulated" and trying to cut back as well as many people trying to join I am looking at my other options such as the Army at the moment. So my question is though will all my information thats in the system and my ASVAB score be good even If I did decide to go army? Or would I have to start over from scratch and retest on the ASVAB which is not a big deal just trying to decide what I want to do. Local ARMY recruiters are busy at the moment so I haven't been able to get a chance to get with them to find out so if anyone on here could maybe give some input on that? I did meet with the AF guy last week and he did confirm all my information was still in the system so I know its there.
If you want to become one of the FEW I might be able help you out. Im a recruiter in Ft Worth.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
roy
TECH Resident

There is no such thing as a busy Army recruiter. May be overworked trying to get nuggets in. Go visit your local Army recruiter and get the answers straight from the horse or goto www.goarmy.com.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Air force is overpopulated in certain fields but they are still undermanned in plenty UAV sensor operator was way undermanned allot if guys in my squadron up for cross training went for it. But air force still does need people just not in every job.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jarheadtex
If you want to become one of the FEW....
YYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSS.

The Corps still letting people out early?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tobias05
YYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSS.

The Corps still letting people out early?
No not right now. Might start soon though if they take us back down to 170,000ish.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you take the ASVAB, it's good for ALL branches and in fact is published and available to them. When I took the ASVAB in 2001, the Navy called me up and wanted me to cross decks to be a Nuc because my scores were high. But who would want to be scientist when there's a war going on? I wanted sand in my boots and blood on my knife!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Swiat34
When you take the ASVAB, it's good for ALL branches and in fact is published and available to them. When I took the ASVAB in 2001, the Navy called me up and wanted me to cross decks to be a Nuc because my scores were high. But who would want to be scientist when there's a war going on? I wanted sand in my boots and blood on my knife!
You must have taken it at your high school. Those scores are released to all branches. If your recruiter takes you to MEPS to take the ASVAB they are not available to all services, we have to request them.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wanted to go AF too at first but after seeing how many people were waiting nearly a year for BCT, I talked to an Army recruiter and wound up taking the asvab and going to meps within 2 weeks. I signed Dec. 20 and leave March 15 so I don't have long before I leave. Do you have a certain thing you're wanting to do? If both branches have it, see which branch can get you in first since odds are neither will give much of a bonus if any. FYI if you want to be a UAV operator without a 4 year degree, call the Army.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
what a rush!

what did u score?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I took the ASVAB it was out in Abilene (i was living there at the time) and it was in a building that all the recruiters in that area did testing so when I took it there was about 15-20 of us in there whom were trying to join different branches not just AF people and from what I remember we all took the same test.

Originally Posted by moregrip
what did u score?
80%. Wasn't amazing but was fairly decent I thought.

Originally Posted by bamalt1
I wanted to go AF too at first but after seeing how many people were waiting nearly a year for BCT, I talked to an Army recruiter and wound up taking the asvab and going to meps within 2 weeks. I signed Dec. 20 and leave March 15 so I don't have long before I leave. Do you have a certain thing you're wanting to do? If both branches have it, see which branch can get you in first since odds are neither will give much of a bonus if any. FYI if you want to be a UAV operator without a 4 year degree, call the Army.
I have a couple things in mind that id like to do and so far its between AF/Army so thats where im looking towards at the moment. Once weather clears in my area ill begin talks again with both go from there.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing I will say is this:

If I had joined the AF, Id be doing 20. Joined the Army and did 4.5.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jarheadtex
You must have taken it at your high school. Those scores are released to all branches. If your recruiter takes you to MEPS to take the ASVAB they are not available to all services, we have to request them.
My high school didn't offer the ASVAB. I took the test at the Milwaukee MEPS Station.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 AM
what a rush!

an ASVAB in the 80's will qualify you for most of the better incentive paying jobs in the Navy and will also allow you to crossrate should you come to that bridge later down the road.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bballr4567
One thing I will say is this:

If I had joined the AF, Id be doing 20. Joined the Army and did 4.5.

In the course of my deployments I have worked with ppl from all branches. In terms of how they take care of their personnell, I honestly think I could say that for any of the other branches. It varies company to company though. Regardless of branch go in with a plan, set your personal/professional goals, and keep them in sight regardless.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

what were your line scores? what job do you want to do in the military?

Quick Reply: Question about ASVAB score and MEPs