Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

MMA and Armed forces?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMA and Armed forces?

Has MMA been an influence in your military training at all? If so please do tell!!!

Is basic training now practicing Jitsu moves in hand to hand combat in your neck of the woods?

I know the USMC is incorporating MMA training to some extent as it is relevant in hand to hand combat.. Just curious????
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Not sure about basic cause i went in 04 but I know both my tours in iraq i trained MMA and never heard nothing from nobody as long as i showed up for patrol no matter how beat up i looked!! LOL As far as training every branch needs to do MMA based hand to hand. Cause the army's version is ****!! I would never use nothing they taught me as a matter fact in all my classes i ended up showing the teacher something he was doing wrong!! LOL One in paticular SFC didnt like it very well that a PFC was showing him and his 18yearts in the army how to do an armbar properly!! But it happened in front of are Battalion commander and he ended saven my *** cause I called is mistake in front of everyone and he ended maken the SFC roll with me!! HAHA
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

The USMC does to an extent. from what people tell me its not very good and its called MCMAP I for one like it. I want to do more of it but my current job in the Marines is not really giving me the chance (quiter talk I know but its true) If you are joing the military just for that, buddy you better move on because you will not make it. I know people who join for school and hate their lives in the military because they dont get to go to school. just my 2 cents. take it as you want.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I was in the Marine Corps, we had what was called line training and hand to hand combat training. I really enjoyed it, but they took it out and went to MCMAP training. I've gone thru the basic course, and it seems pretty good. There are even different levels which you earn belts for, brown belt, green belt and black belt (which are bad mo fos) You can probably look up some videos of it and get a better idea of what it's about.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

we teach a weak version called controlled Force. and they get modern army combatives which is a slow moving version of grappling.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Launching!

I honestly never knew mma existed until i went to ft benning, and thats what got me interested. When i got outta basic i went and found a gym to train at. I showed up as a beginner with a pretty good base to work off of, and not the attitude that i knew what i was doing. Which was a good thing, because i didnt lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Village Idiot

I understand that when in a life threatening situation such as face to face combat with an enemy you need to train to disarm first and for most, more then look for an arm bar or leg lock that's for sure.

Hey, but I would say if everyone in the US military was highly trained in Jitsu skills and had some real sparring sessions in standup (MAUY THAI) then the majority of armed forces personnel would be fully prepared and confident in any hand to hand combat situation.. My take anyways..

My hopes are that more armed forced are teaching basic skills in Jitsu, such as choke holds in close combat situations. RNC for starters, etc....

From the replies it appears this not the case unfortunately..
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
I understand that when in a life threatening situation such as face to face combat with an enemy you need to train to disarm first and for most, more then look for an arm bar or leg lock that's for sure.

Hey, but I would say if everyone in the US military was highly trained in Jitsu skills and had some real sparring sessions in standup (MAUY THAI) then the majority of armed forces personnel would be fully prepared and confident in any hand to hand combat situation.. My take anyways..

My hopes are that more armed forced are teaching basic skills in Jitsu, such as choke holds in close combat situations. RNC for starters, etc....

From the replies it appears this not the case unfortunately..
As far as army goes you go over the four most basic positions, arm bars, a few chokes, then some drill sergeants try and knock you out.

Words of wisdom lol

Q: Who wins in a hand to hand combat situation?
A: Whoever's buddy that shows up with a gun first.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by geoffreymexico
Q: Who wins in a hand to hand combat situation?
A: Whoever's buddy that shows up with a gun first.
True true..

I can imagine a bad situation like this happening though..

Let's say your unit is instructed to raid enemy house's in some hostile town some where deep in the Middle East. This seems to be the norm these days so I'm choosing this scenario as an example.

You bust into a house with your back up behind you, but someone has to open a door to a back room and that's you.. Arab Ali jumps at you from out of no where and puts down your fire arm immediately, so you then you have to react physically.. It's going to be hand to hand for a moment in that situation anyways, right?

Hey, but like you say properly trained military personnel should be ready with back up even in that rare situation..

However, I believe it never hurts to really have "outstanding" physical combat skills to defend yourself when presented by the enemy in a rare situation like that.. Judo, grappling, and Jitsu skills surely can't hurt. You would then be able to body throw and body slam Ali with little to no effort I would think.

Being properly trained in mixed martial arts builds mental confidence too.. This I do know..

Anyways, just checking in to see if the basic Jitsu skills are being implemented in our Armed forces training these days. I've been out of touch for a while now.

I do see that the UFC reps are trying to reach out at times as shown on Spike tv to our Armed Forces... Probably just a publicity and marketing stunt though more then anything..
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.theusmarines.com/caging-the-warrior/

frankly I prefered the old line training compared to the new MCMAP... at least through the grey belt. Once you get to the green training, its pretty hard core. I know a lot of the black belt instructors at MCRD SD were doing a lot of minor-league-type MMA fights

I overheard the reason for the switch was too many boots fresh out of Boot Camp were starting fights, giving the Marine Corps a bad image (like we need help doing that) so they made the entry level training a bit more mild and saved the fun **** for the later courses
Old 04-30-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as i have heard from my recruiter rescently... they only train you on basic **** about jiu jitsu and grappling... correct me if im wrong MARINES.

I myself am attending MMA schoo that focuses on all that, but i focus on mainly boxing/muay thai/kickboxing
Old 04-30-2011, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you earn a tan belt while at boot camp. which is basic punches and kicks. a couple chokes, and some counter to chokes. really really really basic stuff
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
As far as i have heard from my recruiter rescently... they only train you on basic **** about jiu jitsu and grappling... correct me if im wrong MARINES.

I myself am attending MMA schoo that focuses on all that, but i focus on mainly boxing/muay thai/kickboxing
Originally Posted by jsteele90
you earn a tan belt while at boot camp. which is basic punches and kicks. a couple chokes, and some counter to chokes. really really really basic stuff
yep, tan belt (out of Boot Camp) is just the basics

once you get out in the Fleet and can attend the Green, Brown, Black belt courses, thats where the fun begins
Old 05-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VinR1
yep, tan belt (out of Boot Camp) is just the basics

once you get out in the Fleet and can attend the Green, Brown, Black belt courses, thats where the fun begins

The Army is basically the same way..

Recruits in Basic get a few days of instruction on basic grappling, arm bars, and a few chokes. The real fun comes once you get to your first unit. Combat arms units spend much more time training on combatives. The Non combat units (in my experience, do not put much emphasis on such things), so you have to seek it out. In this aspect I wish "we" were more like the Marines!

Either way, if your near a decent sized city I bet there is an MMA gym near by.

Scott
Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

I enjoyed McNinja, and it does serve its purpose, but being in the airwing and on flight orders didn't give much time for anything else besides dailies and turnarounds. there for a while i was lucky to get my hands on a wrench.

I had two years of taekwondo before i went to bootcamp; got yelled at for kicking too high in tan belt testing, lol.

pretty basic stuff the first two belts, which is all the further i got before expiring. besides, no one is going to be throwing a 180 roundhouse kick while wearing a full combat load.

i am in college now, studying aikido and taekwondo on the side. i get a small giggle when i see something that reminds me of McSlap.