Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine Corps or Air Force

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Corps or Air Force

Guys, need some help, really drawn between both. If either branch, active duty, reservist, or whatever the case may be post up! Pleas don't turn this into a dick measuring contest between branches. Flat out honest truth. Just list your 3 or so favorite things, and the 3 or so things you despised. My main concern is how I've heard you getting treated in the Marine Corps, which is basically that you just get looked at as another number, and as far as the Air Force I've heard something 110% different, but that could all be hearsay.
Thank all of you for the service and sacrifice you made, and currently make.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you looking to do?

MOS - Military Occupational Specialty
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

I did 6 years in the Air Force and loved it. Your gonna have to deal with bs in either branch, i am from Jacksoville nc where Camp Lejune is , huge Marine Corp base, and i have alot of buddies that are in and love it. I say AF , if your looking for more of a technical job, and if you wanna blow **** up , go MC
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Looking to be either a mechanic on Aircraft or Vehicles. I know in the Marines Motor-T can cover both driving and mechanic duties, but I'd prefer to work on vehicles.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Teching In

If you want to be a mechanic go AF.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
and if you wanna blow **** up , go MC
Most Marines don't "blow **** up".
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could go on for hours about the pros and cons of each branch but to sum it up, if you care about comfort, quality of life, rank promotions, and being treated like a human, go AF.

As far as being a Marine...well, its hard to explain but it isnt easy by any stretch of the imagination. But is it worth the sacrifice? F&ck yeah!

(my daughter and I ~4yrs ago)
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
Most Marines don't "blow **** up".
yeah..haha..everyone thinks Marines blow **** up and kick in doors. Never mind all the networks we have to set up, helicopters/jets we keep in the fight, food to be cooked etc.

OP...people that become Marines are usually looking for something different. If you are just doing it for a tech skill or money for college by all means join any branch but the Marines...the challenge will be too much for you. When I decided to enlist I didnt care what job they had for me..I just wanted to be a Marine. 9 years later, I have a college degree and have seen the world. Are there shitty days? You bet your ***!! Are there days when I think "Im getting paid to do this?" Of course. However, I wake up every morning a US Marine, which is a pride that never fades...kinda hard to explain. I dont bash the other branches as my grandfather fought in the Pacific in WWII in the Army and we are all on team serving our country. I chose to become a Marine and dont regret a minute of my 9 years.

oh BTW Im a recruiter and hate it. Just my .02. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
I did 6 years in the Air Force and loved it. Your gonna have to deal with bs in either branch, i am from Jacksoville nc where Camp Lejune is ,
DAMN!! your from J-ville?haha I was there for my first enlistment, then went to socal. Im going back to Lejeune when Im done recruiting in December.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any reason you're only interested in those 2? From my experience, the U.S. Army is a median between the 2.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jarheadtex
yeah..haha..everyone thinks Marines blow **** up and kick in doors. Never mind all the networks we have to set up, helicopters/jets we keep in the fight, food to be cooked etc.

OP...people that become Marines are usually looking for something different. If you are just doing it for a tech skill or money for college by all means join any branch but the Marines...the challenge will be too much for you. When I decided to enlist I didnt care what job they had for me..I just wanted to be a Marine. 9 years later, I have a college degree and have seen the world. Are there shitty days? You bet your ***!! Are there days when I think "Im getting paid to do this?" Of course. However, I wake up every morning a US Marine, which is a pride that never fades...kinda hard to explain. I dont bash the other branches as my grandfather fought in the Pacific in WWII in the Army and we are all on team serving our country. I chose to become a Marine and dont regret a minute of my 9 years.

oh BTW Im a recruiter and hate it. Just my .02. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Pretty much sums it up. I did 6 years active and am currently employed as a civilian in which I still do my job I did as a Marine. I loved being in and being able to call yourself a Marine is something that is different for everyone but all a very special feeling.

With all that said I am currently trying to join the AF reserves to finish my 20 with a little more comfort.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Well the main thing for becoming a Marine is I do want something different. Just something about it that makes me want it. One of my dad's last things he told me before he died was that I'd never cut it as one, which has been a huge motivator (he was a Marine 71'-75'). I know it's a different Corps today than in yesteryear, but after talking to a few Marines I've decided on trying to earn the title. The only reason for Air Force being an option was mainly due to the fact I have some friends in and love it, and Dayton has Wright-Patterson AFB where my father worked, so being on base and seeing all the Airman made me want to be one aswell.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

And as far as money for school goes those are reasons, but not the main ones, it sounds like I'm joining for the wrong reason when I say this but a big kicker is my job now sucks, and I'm headed down a "no outlet" street for lack of better terms. I figured this is my way of finding out that everything happens for a purpose and it's time to actually go for a goal I set other than something that involves the T/A haha. Also another big kicker is I've never done anything really awesome in my life and never seen the world, **** even the country. Basically to sum it up ready for some new and exciting changes..
/rant
Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was in the same situation a few months ago...but I chose Air Force because I'm a huge plane nut and I am still eligible to get into the Air Force academy. I'm aiming to be a pilot in the future so it seemed to make sense.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't go to the marines if I was you. We are very overrated and has been the worst decision I made in my life. If I could go back I would of went to the air force. I have a lot of friends that actually like being in the military and what they do but they are in the air force, they pick up faster and easier meaning they usually get out with more cash. 4-6 month easy deployments getting paid "combat" even though it's just a troop transition base is alsome! Being in the usmc you'll be constantly judge for anything that you do, Get treated like a little kid, and will have to deal with double standard hypocrites that work above you. I know of more bad units in the usmc then good ones. The main thing about being a marine that I got was bragging rights.. Been there done that. You will build a lot of character and patience through out the good ol usmc. You will also learn to appreciate the littlest things in life more.. that's my experience but it all depends on what job you want to do in the military. Another thing... when you pick a job in the usmc.. that job isn't guaranteed. It's were the marine corp needs you. I picked combat engineer and ended up a bulk fueler and didn't know I had that job till I was about 6 months in. What is my job? pretty much a moble gas station
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

You pick a career field in the Marines...not an MOS. If you wanted a job you should have joined the AF Marine. We dont offer jobs or MOSs we offer the opportunity to be US Marines. If you dont like your job do a lateral move on your first reenlistment. Or beter yet GET OUT we are down sizing . I went to boot camp on an open contract because I wanted to be a Marine. How long have you been in. You do realize you joined the most elite branch of the military right???? You knew people were going to "judge" you right ??? wow its a good thing DADT is over for your sake.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tell it how it is. I personally don't care... I"ll be getting out mid March. Yea Jarheadtex you defiantly sound like a recruiter.. Yes we are down sizing.. But understand this. Since I been in I have seen some of the greatest marines I have ever meet get out of the marines and go air force because they are tired of double standard hypocrites. They are sick of being treated like a little kid... doing pointless things for no reason. We have single Sargents that been in 6+ years in the marines that been forced to move back in the barracks with 3 to a room a little bigger then jail cells and forced to be micro managed by our higher ups... Who want's to be a 24+yold man forced to clean your room so another grown man can come through with a white glove and feel around the cracks in the wall looking for dust every week? That doesn't sound bad does it? You fail then come in on Saturday! That's just a tiny example. Now I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you... I just stated my point of the military and not a recruiters. I'm the just another average marine.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

haha!! wow the Marine Corps is changing ...Who are you with? Yeah I sound like a recruiter... ...I am a terrible recruiter..for the simple fact that that I dont "sell" the Marine Corps. If you come into my office and you dont want to be a US Marine..I send you next door to the AF or Army...because I dont want to serve with someone that is in it for the tangible benefits.

Look at what typically happens after a draw down...alot of "good" Marines get out because they dont like hanging out in garrison being "micro managed".

esprit de corps...guess you didnt get it ..Had dinner with a Vietnam Marine this evening. He says the same things about the BS you put up with. This guy has made millions since getting out, but still wishes he would have stayed for 20.

Semper Fi
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

wow..where did you earn your degree? What branch did you serve? BTW there are no soldiers in the Marines....just Marines.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrdOPry
Pleas don't turn this into a dick measuring contest between branches.
Originally Posted by jarheadtex
You do realize you joined the most elite branch of the military right????
lol, jarheads never cease to amuse me. There is no such thing as most elite branch. But for the sake of the thread, what makes you think that the marine corps is more superior than the others? What do they have that others do not? The typical response to that is, "we have boot camp, the hardest basic training there is". Ok, that maybe so, you have the toughest, "basic training", what about the rest of your life in the branch?

I always here people say, "Ive always wanted to be a marine". I guess I just don't get it, what is so glamorous about that title? Why do people join this branch for the sole purpose of being a marine?

Last edited by Bjorn20; 02-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine Corps or Air Force