Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Italy? Aviano .... ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Italy? Aviano .... ?

Anything going on in Italy around Aviano? Finally arriving there on the 17th and I'm itching for something to get evolved in, deployment then short tour...I need a toy to mess with. Thank guys.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

umm not really, some shitty weather thats about it. hopefully sunny soon
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

You there at Aviano? So when it warms up are there any car related events that go on?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was TDY there for 30 days around this time of year and it's beautiful. I love how there are more options to eat out there compare here in England.

Car scene seems to be almost non existent however I wouldn't mind bringing my camaro over there to test that road to the mountain top.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Very cool picture Bene...I have always heard how pretty it is there so that's a plus. I've hear the mountains are pretty cool and have some fun twiesties too!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm car related events.....not really. once a year they have this "American Muscle" race day in Pordenone, where they have a 1/8 mile parking lot in an industrial area hahah. ive been here 2 years, and i have driven my T/A probably about 10 times
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Just curious but why? Is it that nice of a T/A...whats done to it? Guess I'll see when I get there. I wasn't looking to spend a ton on a car anyway...what about off road, guys have places to take there 4x4 to play?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 AM
TECH Resident

Ive been here 3 years and I've had my formula just sent back to the states 2 weeks ago. I'm bout to head out a week after you get here. But as of car scene its not too big. But i know a few guys who have done the 1/8 miles races and its bigger as it gets warmer and drier. but not so much. never done it myself as I've had issues with my trans. but theres a few car shows all over italy. but not much for race cars but for all types. there was one near the beach a couple of weeks ago just before i shipped out my car. Use to be a meet up ever friday night next to base but haven't drove thru there anymore. Even though i was here for 3 yrs i only drove the car on good days. i would recommend getting a beater if you bring your car here. italians are crazy at the wheel and its a different way of driving here. i only put near 1k miles on my car while it was here.
I just went on a cruise to the top of the mountain then from one town to another and damn theres a lot of tight turns. if i had a 350z or great suspension on an Fbody it would be fun. oh and if you do go make sure your brakes have plenty of meat. my brakes were smelling pretty bad from all the turns and downhill. but the scenery is awesome. The lake Barcis is awesome.
As for off roadin' i have a friend in my BJJ class take his jeep w/ his lil crew of friends out. i see all his pix and i guess theres some trails and i could see some areas here where they would go. its pretty cool. theres everything here. not so abundant like in the states but there here.
One thing thats important here his be patient with everything! Don't expect fast service, quick turnarounds, and speedy process. Not just in italy but mostly europe where they shut down during lunch, after 7pms a lot of shops close, and absolutely nothing open 24hrs. once you learn their schedule life here is so much better and less frustrating. I just came back from Amalfi coast and pompeii and its fun. theres so much to do. I did neglect my car as one of my life goals was to travel as well. now that I'm returning to the states and i see u coming from tucson so my baby will be getting a lot of attention from me now.
If you need any advice or info lmk.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

I'm PSCing to DM and how's the crowd over there? I see the import is bigger there from what i saw in Nov when i was there.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bene
I was TDY there for 30 days around this time of year and it's beautiful. I love how there are more options to eat out there compare here in England.

Car scene seems to be almost non existent however I wouldn't mind bringing my camaro over there to test that road to the mountain top.

If that is the top of the mountaing over looking Aviano like I think it is could You post a pic of that wild s-curve road from below looking up? My lil Fiat roadster was fun going up but didn't have the brakes for going down fast. lol

Carl
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

Nice post and thanks for the info. Yeah, I didn't think there was some big scene but it sounds like there is a little something...something for everyone. I sold my Cobra so I'm not bringing that and the fam ride we shipped is perfect for Europe...brand new Mazda 5, perfect smaller ride for my little family. I'm not sure what I will get when I get there but most likely a decent ride for around 4-5k. I see a lot decent bimmers in that price range. If I could find a deal I like to get an older Tacoma 4 door but that is prob hard to come by out there. Since I don't see myself getting all car crazy like I have been and it doesn't really seem worth it anyway a nice 4x4 will suit me since I love camping and ridding quads.

I've been away from the scene in Tucson for a good bit. I just got back from Korea last month and I was deployed right before I left and things have changed a little from talking to friends I still keep in touch with. There is still a scene though and one of my very good friends runs a car forum there....its a very good site with no stupid drama crap, just cool guys that like to talk cars and hang out. They do track days here and there and those were always a blast. DM is not a bad base...hot as **** in the summer but the rest of the year its nice. Mt. Lemmon is a local Mtn there and is just a blast to cruise up...they've cracked down a lot recently but flying up that bitch is so fun. With in my first few months at DM when I PCS'd there back in 08 I got a ticket on my bike on the Mtn...then a few months later in my T/A, cops are sneaky bastards there. Used to be a good scene out there with some good late night meets and racing but the gay ricers always followed us and brought trouble with it. There are some real good dudes there that I'm sure you will meet. Look up desertstreetcars.com I still get on there from time to time to say whats up but not much more then that.

I was at DM about 3 years exactly and had a great time there. Housing is very affordable and there is a lot to do in the city and surrounding areas. Aviano will be my first overseas assignment and Ive been in almost 13 years so Im pretty pumped. I want to travel all over...I hope its a good time. I'm doing 3 but if I like it I'll do another year.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by 99WS7
Nice post and thanks for the info. . I want to travel all over...I hope its a good time. I'm doing 3 but if I like it I'll do another year.
That's what they all say... including myself. lol.

Seriously though, everything is just either a boat/plane ticket or a few....... hundred miles away to see Europe.

I've been to 6 countries so far... driving and I have a year left of my tour.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
If that is the top of the mountaing over looking Aviano like I think it is could You post a pic of that wild s-curve road from below looking up? My lil Fiat roadster was fun going up but didn't have the brakes for going down fast. lol

Carl
I don't think I took any pics of the road looking up but looking down, yeah.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

There is a road up to pianacavallo. it just zig zag up there. then i went from that town to Barcis and what an interested that was. tight turns and you won't go anymore than 30mphs. its still fun tho.

Been to 22 different countries over 40 different big cities and islands. Aviano is super busy and you'll see why when you get here. It affects everyone on this base. 2 more weeks til I'm in AZ!! Im looking forward to it. Im currently looking for a motorcycle to save on gas since i will be losing a lot of money leaving here but it'll be ok I'm single w/ no debt. You have anymore questions let me know. Charlie from the hobby shop is very helpful. his the older black guy w/ glasses. Very nice guy. Oh and i don't remember if i told you but buying oil is a bitch!!! either pay the cost here and its super expensive but I've heard of setting up an account with apo.com and have them ship oil to the address that account will give you. I suggest setting up an account with apobox.com and this site. some companies will not ship to apo address and these guys will setup an stateside address so they can ship it out to you out there. some amazon and apple products will not ship out there. find a company who will ship oil and have them ship the oil to that address and these guys will ship it out to you. takes a lil longer but waaay cheaper. i personally haven't done it but guys in my shop have. so just plan ahead.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Good info on the oil, I'll be sure to keep it in mind. I just got here today and I'm pretty wore out with all the traveling with my wife and two little ones but where here safe. Good luck at DM. I left Tucson today after staying 4 days there to visit some old buddies. Some good guys there. Let me know if you have any questions on AZ or DM as well. Phoeinix is just up the road and has a ton to do. Did a overnight-er while I was there and got hammered...good times.

Quick Reply: Italy? Aviano .... ?