Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF Retraining

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Oops, meant OEF. The AF will be staying on Afghanistan for some time to come. Just think Northern and Southern Watch with Iraq. Might not be boots on the ground, but we do have a lovely 99 year lease on a very shitty location in Qatar.
I hear you on that. I was talking more specifically towards Afghanistan. I'm not a big fan of Qatar. Too permanent party/state sidish, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't be shocked if Manas closed... as far as the other bases we have in Africa and the Middle East they are there to stay. But from what I've been following there's a big push by the current administration to shift focus to the Pacific. I'm crossing my fingers for a new base in Australia.

ANYWAY I'm way off topic.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Teching In

I tried to go from 2W1 to 1C4 (after making SSgt) but the AF wasn't having it. So I got out. 1C4 was about perfect for me I think (single guy, liked being deployed, familiar with munitions)
Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why not crosstrain into aircraft maintanence? It's the greatest.

Thinking of putting in my application for MTI duty, putting on SSgt in August with all others but with just barely over 4 years in I'm doing good and only 10 credits away from my CCAF.

Crosstrain into a flying job, honestly if I was Airfield Management I wouldn't be going anywhere. Lol
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Teching In

RedHotV, what ASOS were you at and when?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by burnstacp
RedHotV, what ASOS were you at and when?
I wasn't. I never got the GO to retrain. While I was deployed I was hangin out with some TACP's from Ft Carson/Rilley? (which ever one is in KS) Just to get a feel for what the life would be like. Had the interview, the PAST test, flight physical, everything. But I guess something came up in my chest x-rays.

Avoid aircraft maintenance like the plague.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Riley is in KS. Do you remember their names? I probably know them.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by burnstacp
Riley is in KS. Do you remember their names? I probably know them.

J. Bryson was the only name I remember.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Avoid aircraft maintenance like the plague.[/QUOTE]

haha Agreed..from a current 130 crew chief
Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 130chief
Avoid aircraft maintenance like the plague.
haha Agreed..from a current 130 crew chief[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. I've heard a lot of herc guys cross training to load master or aircraft recovery. Though I don't mind working on C-130J's too much it's more or less a hobby to me and not really a job.

A couple guys in my shop got aircraft recovery in GA. NO QA!!! )) or tech data!!! Basically cutting wings and crap off.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Don't get me wrong. Being aircraft armament had it's moments, but they were few and very far between.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 90TSiAWD
Why not crosstrain into aircraft maintanence? It's the greatest.

Thinking of putting in my application for MTI duty, putting on SSgt in August with all others but with just barely over 4 years in I'm doing good and only 10 credits away from my CCAF.

Crosstrain into a flying job, honestly if I was Airfield Management I wouldn't be going anywhere. Lol
I get that a lot. I certainly will NOT be going into any crew chief positions. 99% of my friends are maintainers, and every single one of them hates like . Maybe I need to PCS before I decide to retrain, but the job is frankly BORING, at least here it is. Honor Guard work is way more work than airfield management that I have experienced so far (at least as an Airman level).
Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Find something you like and go for it...don't look at bonus money as a primary motivator, it only helps you make bad choices.

Did c-130 loadmaster, did ground radar (ATC & EW Sims) and Intel (1N2A). Every job had something cool, and helped me in the next one in some way, and gave me a better appreciation for everything all the folks in the fight do.

If I could do it over again I would still have done some sort of maintenance job...and I still would have done Intel.

Look at jobs that you require a TS clearance...not all are Intel & the market for folks who have a TS is pretty decent.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: USAF Retraining