Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF Retraining

Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default USAF Retraining

I'm coming up on my 3 year mark on my 6 year enlistment in the USAF. I'm almost 24 years old. I'm currently Airfield Management (1C7X1), which is a pretty cake job. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be retraining into a new job when the time comes. I know I'm not able to right now, but I'm trying to receive some insight on other jobs for when the time comes..

My initial reaction to retraining is Air Traffic Control. The tech school, I imagine, will be much easier for me, since I have experience in Airfield Management, although I understand is still far different from controlling and separating aircraft. I like to look ahead for the future.

I'm not far off from my CCAF (Associate's Degree). My only real interests in retraining are ACTUAL Air Force jobs, if that makes sense. I'm considering ATC, Loadmaster, Boom Operator, and other real functional jobs. I am currently base level Honor Guard, and would like to do AF level Honor Guard, even though that is pretty much a Long Tour. I really enjoy Honor Guard, it is a very honorable job, but it certainly has its drawbacks. I have been thinking deeply of Combat Controller. I understand CCT is a deeply trained and honorable job, if that was to rise.

Are there any CCT's here? Any AF level Honor Guard? Would you recommend it? Should I just hammer out a Bachelor's and go from there and try for OTS, or CCT? I really can't describe what I want from my military service. I want to spend some time in, but I'm also not sure I plan to do 20 years service yet. I'm E-4 and definitely don't plan to separate until I spend some time overseas, that's for certain. I want to do something more than my current job, but not sure exactly what that IS yet.

Also, if you could pick a AF job, what would it be?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Teching In

I'm currently 3D156 Airfield Systems. We're the guys you might have seen rolling around the airfield adjusting/maintaining the ILS, weather equipment, and ATC radios. I just passed my 3 year mark this May, (wooo pay increase!) and I love what I do. Air Traffic Controllers are our direct customer, so we deal with them on a pretty regular basis (I'm sure you do too as AF management). I too, have considered retraining into this career field. From talking to them, most of them do enjoy what they do, however they don't much care for the odd hours that change all the time, and the fact that even though you're only allowed to control for 8 hours, they can keep you at work for as many as 12-14 rather frequently. For someone like me who works 7-4 M-F, this is a bit of a change, however not an issue. Just something to consider if you're married with children. The real kicker about ATC is the re-enlistment bonus. They're still pullin 90k as of right now, which is as good as it gets. Imagine what could be done to an F-body with a 45k check up front, and 45k through the rest of your enlistment?

I'm currently at Holloman, and went to tech school at Keesler, which is where ATC is taught. Seems like a large portion of their failures can't handle the stress of ATC. I'm sorry I don't have any insight on CCT, except it was rather funny watching them run around outside the chow hall in their PJ panties and sharpied t-shirts.

Good luck with your decisions! Did you test this year?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 PM
NKAWTG...N

You are kind of all over the place.

Not much in common with Honor Guard, CCT, and Boom Operator.

CCT? If your in uber-shape then go for it.

I would honestly suggest boom operator (I know for a fact my boom's have pretty much the BEST enlisted job in the AF, if not the DOD).
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Teching In

If you want a combat job go TACP. You'll be operational so much faster. It was the best job I could have ever had. If you want crosstraining info get on romad.com. Make sure you're well prepared for what you're going to undertake if you do though, and you can forget about ever doing honor guard again. We live on army posts 95% of the time, and we deploy a lot. The job is effing awesome though. Nothing like feeling the shockwave of a danger close five hundred pounder hit your chest.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Hey tim I'll trade you jobs. I'm looking palace chasing to the reserve unit they are starting up here. I'm gonna crosstrain to crew chief so i'll be on active orders for a year. No sure if I'll try for a full time slot or go to school or find a real job.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I could do it all over again I would have knocked out school faster and got my commission. Going to school is never a bad thing so deff get your BA.

As for jobs CCT is pretty ridiculous. A good friend of mine just qualified and is looking to deploy this coming fall. You have to be in serious serious shape. Fully dedicated to the job. Deff not one of those whelp I guess I'll go be a combat controller.

ATC is a great job. High suicide rate and stressful job. Good retention bonuses..deployments ect..

Boom operator.. I wouldn't suggest it. I have a good friend who spends the better part of the year way from his family and gets **** on often by his superiors. I'm sure its different for everyone but I'd pass.

Air Force Level Honor Guard is very good for your career showing that you stepped out of your career field.

I'm currently an MTI at Lackland. We are most deff hiring... feel free to put in your package. =)
Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I know it sounds like every possibility is coming from left field, but that's my purpose, I'm not trying to split hairs between just a couple of jobs. I would like to think I have a possibility of experiencing every far end of the AF goes. I initially began thinking ATC is what I want. Since I have been in Base Honor Guard, AF level Honor Guard highly intrigues me. I am currently a trainer for Honor Guard, and was chosen as Distinguished Graduate, and in BMT I was a Honor Grad, along with Distinguished Grad in Tech School, so I feel pride in that I step forward among others. I have considered MTI, and I was telling myself I'm not sure I would like to dedicate to their schedules, but hell since I've been in Honor Guard, my days have been 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week, so what's different, right? CCT is one of those other things in the back of my mind. Pretty much, if I wanted a job to actually test myself, and push forward, but I'm currently no excellent runner or swimmer, but I lift daily, and consider myself strong @ 215lbs and under 15% body fat, but the AF LOVES skinny runners more than they love stronger men who can lift a person on their shoulders I guess.

I just recently spoke to a SSgt Flight Engineer, and he speaks highly of Boom Operator, and he suggests Loadmaster or Boom Operator, and not to go FE, due to the high stress of the job. But everyone says ATC is high stress, and I'm prepared to accept that. Like I said, I'm not particular to any ONE job right now, but I am definitely open to all types of jobs, I definitely want to expand out beyond what I'm doing now.

Pipe, I'm pretty sure I've messaged you before asking about MTI. I wouldn't feel right being an MTI until I was a SSgt, but it has been in my mind. And I can't even test for my first time until next year. I missed cutoff date by 8 days
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Teching In

If you're thinking about CCT to test yourself, then you're not the right guy for the job. Don't waste your time or anyone elses. Stick with with regualr airforce stuff. Especially if the things you feel the need to show off are BMT and tech school honor grad. You won't fare well.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

BMT and Tech school honor grad, LOL, that sure makes your career a better one
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Well obviously those aren't huge accolades to brag about or an EPR winner, but what I'm saying is I'm obviously doing something right when it comes to learning things quickly and professionally.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put on SSgt and then come see us. The pay isn't bad at all. I cleared over 60K as a SSgt here last year.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Boom operator.. I wouldn't suggest it. I have a good friend who spends the better part of the year way from his family and gets **** on often by his superiors. I'm sure its different for everyone but I'd pass.
Depends on your base. If your at a super tanker base than expect to have a 1:1 dwell.

Who knows what it will be like by the time he is out of training though. We are "supposed" to be out of OIF in the next year or two right?

I'm currently an MTI at Lackland. We are most deff hiring... feel free to put in your package. =)
LOL!

So how bad was it really? I just read the front of the AF times but seems like it was pretty rampant.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are really thinking ahead, ATC is the only one of those that would allow you to transition straight to the civilian world. Even if you retire at 20, you still have another 20-ish years left that you'll need to find something to do to stay afloat.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

I highly recommend 1N0X1 / Operations Intelligence Analyst.

It's not a difficult job, you have a huge selection of bases to be stationed at, excelent deployment opportunities, you get into the know, and when you get out you have a large selection of DoD, 3 letter agency, and contractor jobs available that will pay you ALOT of money. ATC isn't the only job that will let you transition into the civilian world into an excelent job that pays you excelent money. Not to mention, you won't have to deal with all the stress that goes along with a job like ATC.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

I'm NDI (nondestructive inspection). It's a cool job, good money in civilian side and it has a bad *** tech school location (Pensacola, FL)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by StoleIt
I would honestly suggest boom operator (I know for a fact my boom's have pretty much the BEST enlisted job in the AF, if not the DOD).
Guess you never met a C-17 loadmaster, lol.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Depends on your base. If your at a super tanker base than expect to have a 1:1 dwell.

Who knows what it will be like by the time he is out of training though. We are "supposed" to be out of OIF in the next year or two right?

LOL!

So how bad was it really? I just read the front of the AF times but seems like it was pretty rampant.
OIF is done and overwith.. OEF will be wrapping up here come the end of next year from what I've heard. Which pisses me off because I was hoping to deploy there before we pulled out.

It's bad. The only good news is that most of it is only within one squadron. It'll get better. New instructors are coming in and they are booting the violators with extreme prejudice. It sucks because most of us are really really good NCO's. Those that have been doing crazy **** spoils it for everyone else.

Bad stuff happens all the time and you never hear about it. Such as the Air Force academy with sexual assaults, spice and cheating online.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pipelayaz
I couldnt agree more with that statement bud.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you are really thinking ahead, ATC is the only one of those that would allow you to transition straight to the civilian world. Even if you retire at 20, you still have another 20-ish years left that you'll need to find something to do to stay afloat.
Originally Posted by Paul87
I highly recommend 1N0X1 / Operations Intelligence Analyst.

It's not a difficult job, you have a huge selection of bases to be stationed at, excelent deployment opportunities, you get into the know, and when you get out you have a large selection of DoD, 3 letter agency, and contractor jobs available that will pay you ALOT of money. ATC isn't the only job that will let you transition into the civilian world into an excellent job that pays you excellent money. Not to mention, you won't have to deal with all the stress that goes along with a job like ATC.

Originally Posted by DropShipDave
I'm NDI (nondestructive inspection). It's a cool job, good money in civilian side and it has a bad *** tech school location (Pensacola, FL)
All this along with PMEL (precision measurement) would be good if you are looking for jobs after the AF. Enlisted Aircrew may be a good job while you are in and definitely has great monetary benefits as long as you avoid AFSOC. However, there is not much of a job market once you get out.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
NKAWTG...N

OIF is done and overwith.. OEF will be wrapping up here come the end of next year from what I've heard. Which pisses me off because I was hoping to deploy there before we pulled out.

It's bad. The only good news is that most of it is only within one squadron. It'll get better. New instructors are coming in and they are booting the violators with extreme prejudice. It sucks because most of us are really really good NCO's. Those that have been doing crazy **** spoils it for everyone else.

Bad stuff happens all the time and you never hear about it. Such as the Air Force academy with sexual assaults, spice and cheating online.
Oops, meant OEF. The AF will be staying on Afghanistan for some time to come. Just think Northern and Southern Watch with Iraq. Might not be boots on the ground, but we do have a lovely 99 year lease on a very shitty location in Qatar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USAF Retraining