Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Scra

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scra

First, sorry for the long post and if i confuse anyone. I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything kinda in-depth about the SCRA mainly asking for legal department personnel. My main question about it is the 6% interest cap. I have been paying on a totaled vehicle (long story) for the past 3 years at my normal payments per month based on the contract. Now i found in the SCRA that i honestly never heard about before in my 3 years of service until now, that they have this interest cap. My question is, If i apply for this through my financial institution and they change my rate to the 6%. Do they have to retro back all the extra interest above the 6% that they took out of the monthly payments the past 3 years and apply that money to the principal of the loan? It states in the SCRA under the 6% interest cap that, "The interest rate cap will apply from the first date of active-duty service". So with that being said, am i correct with my question and that the extra interest the past 3 years above the 6% needs to go towards the loan and not the financial institution.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, it is backdated by law. I got a hefty check once upon a time when I was a junior soldier because of that interest relief. So long as you had the debt before you joined the army, or were activated in case of NG/reserves.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you and is there any legal paperwork or anything i would need just in case the financial institution tries to fight the back pay? I bought the car in 2007 and joined AD Air Force in 2009, so yes i had the debt of the vehicle before i joined.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Most JAG/legal offices have form letters for you to fill out / will help you send out what you need. I'd start there.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

What is scra?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Service Members Civil Relief Act. Every one had it explained to them when you joined...its in your enlistment package.

Quick Reply: Scra