Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?

I am doing a DITY move from fort knox, KY to fort huachuca, AZ which is approximately 2200 miles. I want to tow my 02 WS6 on an auto transport. The only problem is I want to go with penske's truck because they have a diesel 26' where as uhaul has a gas. When I was on the phone with penske and their website they wont let me reserve a trailer because they say my trans am wont fit on their auto trailer. Has anyone physically put their f-body onto a penske full car auto trailer before and can confirm it can be done? My car is lowered 1'' on SS springs.

So heres my secondary option, get a penske truck but a uhaul trailer, when I look up the trailer on their website with my ta it says "Not Recommended". I'm guessing this because of clearance issues (which can be fixed with curbs and boards.

Has anyone used either one, I would rather use a penske trailer and just tell them im towing something else because its cheaper to rent a combo but if their trailer wont work and I can use uhauls trailer then I will do it, either way I have to get the car to AZ and I'm not paying uship approximately 1700 dollars to ship my car (rough quote).

If anyone can chime in here with previous experience that would be great! This is the only thing holding me up from my reservations.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Launching!

why not just go check out their trailer, if they ask what you are towing just tell them a civic or camry or something..... ive used all uhaul trailers and know that I have fit some LOW cars on them....
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Teching In

I used a u-haul to tow a 96 ws6 from Il to Ft Hood. The only issue was the length and that wasn't really an issue. Hopefully that helps a bit
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 AM
Teching In

It's for them to cover their *** in case you damage your car or anything. Any kind of lower than typical car will state "not recommended". My wife's G35 was the same way as well as my 350Z but we made it work. Just grab some boards and most sales reps will allow you to do a test fit to be sure as long as they're not busy. I just did a DITY move 2 years ago and it went very smooth using UHAUL.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

So I contacted the nearest actual penske retailer and not a pickup/dropoff location which is about an hour from my house. She said the car is incompatible not just because it is so low but because they say my car is over 74" . Told her I measured it the night before and widest point is 72". So they want me to bring it up there and attempt to put it on the trailer if it fits they will authorize it otherwise I'm sol. Will let everyone know the outcome in case this problem arises for anyone else.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

I know UHaul does have two different versions of car trailers. One is "normal" and the other is "wide" to accommodate our cars. I towed my old 2002 Camaro (with 315s in the back) a few times with the UHaul trailer and never had a problem. Just need to make sure it's the wide version.

I've never used Penske, so I'm not sure how theirs works.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used uhaul to tow my car from dallas to fort hood with a f250 diesel, the trailer was the full sized car one. i had no problems towing except the horrible fuel economy towing. if your car is lowered and your going to put on a trailer i highly suggest finding some 2x4s and lay them down to assist the car from not scraping.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't get Budget. I did a DITY move from Georgia to Texas with a Budget truck and trailered my 02 T/A. The piston that raises and lowers the trailer comes in at a 45 degree angle and will rub on the front bumper of your car. I found out the hard way about 800 miles into my trip.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

I know for a fact Penske won't let you rent their truck if you're using it to tow a U-haul trailer. Tried doing the same as you when a tow vehicle of mine broke down with a trailer. I'd go with the U-haul truck and car trailer. The F-body will fit on the narrow U-haul trailer but you'll have to wind down the window to get out of the car. As long as it doesn't rain, you're good to go.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I have a crazy feeling I'm going to be stuck with U-hell. What also pisses me off is they claim their 26' is a 26' but technically its only a 23' with a moms attic. And the lady with uhell said I can carry at max 6k lb because its gas where as the penske truck can do 7500 and its a full 26'. I just want that diesel truck, gas is going to suck with a uhaul truck lol. I can't think of anyone else that rents a diesel truck over 26'.

Has anyone ever used budget? They have 24' diesel and someone told me their trailer will work. Only problem with budget is they **** me off because they want to charge me an extra like 200-300 dollars because I'm under the age of 24 (which is total BS).
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

It will fit. You'll need to take off your lower air dam, however (the plastic piece) and bring some blocks for the front wheels to get your bumper over the front lip/wheel stops.

FWIW you're better off shipping it then renting the trailer. Partial DITY ftw. Or pay to ship it yourself. The trailer will cost you 2mpg, and you'll only get 9-10 to begin with
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6_Veteran
Yeah, I have a crazy feeling I'm going to be stuck with U-hell. What also pisses me off is they claim their 26' is a 26' but technically its only a 23' with a moms attic. And the lady with uhell said I can carry at max 6k lb because its gas where as the penske truck can do 7500 and its a full 26'. I just want that diesel truck, gas is going to suck with a uhaul truck lol. I can't think of anyone else that rents a diesel truck over 26'.

Has anyone ever used budget? They have 24' diesel and someone told me their trailer will work. Only problem with budget is they **** me off because they want to charge me an extra like 200-300 dollars because I'm under the age of 24 (which is total BS).

USAA will waive the underage fee. USAA has huge discounts for moving companies. Check into their movers advantage thing.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I towed my Camaro with U-hauls 26ft truck and auto transport. They didn't ask me anything about the car or state any restrictions. My car is pretty damn low too and I didn't remove anything to get it on the auto transport.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Thought I would provide an update on the details of this move. I know its a bit old but it will provide information for someone who will experience this problem in the future.

Did the move with no problems, attached a few pictures. I did have to tell them I was towing a different car but the lady at the store said that only is to cover loading and unloading the vehicle in case its damaged in the process. To load/unload the car I used 2 - 5' 2x10's to help with getting some more stretch on the ramps and I had to use a hill to bring the WS6 pretty even on the ramps. Scarred me when I got to AZ but my drive way actually had enough slope to help unload the car; came about an inch from scraping underneath. The trick to the front of the trailer to keep it from rubbing the underside of the bumper is lining the front of the trailer where the wheels sit with 2x4's to lift it up a bit. After I did this I had no clearance problems, didn't even have to pull off the air damn. I was also able to open the door with the car on the trailer I just had to lift to clear about half and inch until the door was over the wheel well. My WS6 is also lowered 1'' on 02 SS Springs (SLP Springs).

*Also you need to find some way to tie down the ratchet arm (circled in picture) otherwise it will move and smack the bumper.

Hope this helps for anyone wondering about moving with a penske trailer with a lowered fbody.
Attached Thumbnails Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?-trans-am-penske-trailer-1600x1200-.jpg   Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?-trans-am-penske-trailer-2-1600x1200-.jpg   Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?-trans-am-penske-trailer-3-1600x1200-.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

I used a uhaul twice for two third gens from south FL to north ga. worked fine
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to Ft Huachuca and SV. Are you MI or NETCOM?

If you see a white 2000 WS6 with blue stripes and a screamin chicken on the hood, that is me. If you need any work done, talk to David at 3 Kings Auto.

I've put my car on a U-haul trailer several times without issue, but I'm not lowered at all.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Hey man, sorry I just actually went back to check this post. Glad I did though been looking for another f-body around here to hang out with.

I'm with the 111th MI BDE, 304th BN.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Nice info. I just did a DITY from NoVA to FL and used a Budget trailer. It worked fine, and they didn't have problem with the car being listed as the Trans Am. I did need to use some 2x4's to get it on the trailer since the car is lowered. The only hiccup I had on the trip was that the trailer got a flat tire halfway through. Budget had a guy come out and replace and they gave me some money back for the delay.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't put my 3rd gen on a trailer, but i have put my '00 Corvette on a trailer. The U-haul is the one to get. It sits a LOT lower, and with some wood ramp extensions i was able to get my Corvette on it with no issues- and it has barely 3" clearance under the rockers.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

I've done 2 DITY moves with my WS6 and Budget is the only company that had trailers to tow it. All the other companies, including UHAUL, said that if I used their trailers to tow it, their insurance would not cover it if anything happened during towing. My T/A is lowered, so I had to back the trailer up to a steep driveway so that I wouldn't drag or get stuck. Either that, or you could hook the trailer to the truck, then raise the front of the trailer.

Hope you like it out there Sierra Vista. I was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson and I spent time down there around the Army base. I have a couple of friend that are civilian contractors on Fort Huachuca and they seam to like it. One of them has a bad *** red '02 WS6. His name is Scott and he's retired Army.

Quick Reply: Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?