Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Question for Calif Military Personnel

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question for Calif Military Personnel

I understand you do not need to register your vehicle in CA if you keep your registration current from whatever state it is registered in. Correct? Are you exempt from emissions and inspection? What about when your home state inspection expires? Do they make you get your vehicle inspected or force you to register in CA?

I have a 2000 Camaro SS with SLP exhaust and tune. Engine is stock except intake and headers. I have the SLP dual cats. What do you CA guys think about this situation? My license is good in NJ until 2023 and Camaro inspection expires Aug 2021. Tell me what you guys know about this situation for active military. Thanks ya’ll

Old 05-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Teching In

1 week bump. Anyone?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I have no idea on the answer to your question. Nice car though.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
I have no idea on the answer to your question. Nice car though.
Thanks man. This is actually before I got it painted. I had a guy in South Jersey repaint it NBM for $3100. I'm looking to move out west this year. I might be ok with emissions if I registered in CA, but I might be able to keep everything in NJ because of active military status. Do you have any military friends in CA that might be able to give me info on that?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Back in the early 90's, I was stationed at Castle AFB, CA and at least back then, they were very lenient about military people keeping their home state registration - no emissions inspection or tail pipe test required. The trouble came when people converted their driver's license to California but kept their home state plate, title and registration. Things get a little murky at that point as to what really is your home state for residency and more importantly for California . . . state income tax purposes.

Keep everything in line with your no kidding home state - drivers license, voting, vehicle registration, state tax filing - and I think you SHOULD (??) be OK. Find an e-mail for a JAG lawyer or Notary at your gaining California base and ask them. Look in the USAF e-mail Outlook Global Address List at your current base (McGuire???) for a JAG / Legal Office / Area Defense Council at your CA gaining base and they should be able to assist you with this question.

I did 24 years in the USAF and I'm still a contractor at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.

Rick
Old 05-27-2020, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

The state has no real jurisdiction if you're military and stationed there. Basically you're just visiting. So as long as you keep your car registered in your home state, I was stationed at Ft Ord back in the day and always had my car registered in Pa to avoid emission crap.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently dealing with a similar situation. My car has longtubes and no cats, it passes Arizona emissions just fine because they do a OBD plug in test with no visual. Being stationed here in California forces me to do a Cali emissions test which includes a visual inspection. Arizona requires an emission test in the state you are operating the vehicle in for registration renewals. I am not too sure how to get around this other than driving 16 hrs back to Phoenix for a test. I am at Travis by the way.

Quick Reply: Question for Calif Military Personnel