Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

anyone using the gi bill to pay for a car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using the gi bill to pay for a car?

I always wanted a f-body but for some reason I was never able to get one when i was active. The first time I started looking in 99 I found a new 30th annv. T/A but I was at Ft. Richardson in Alaska and it was winter, so I thought it was maby not the right time to buy. Im such a dummass Im still mad . Then I looked again in 01 I thought I could wait out the winter this time, but the whole Sept. 11 thing changed all that. Then in 02 I ETS'ed still no F-body so I decided to go into the PA Guard and use my weekend warrior money to make a car payment. Then I got activated so I decided to buy a 04 Ford Mustang Mach 1 instead . Within 6 months completetly paid off I rolled it. Oh yeah with liability only. So now I got a GN with the sale of my Mach motor and I few months later I finnaly found a Firehawk which is now being paid for by my GI Bill
Old 11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Launching!

can you actually do that? or do you have to prove you are using the money for college?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

You gotta be in College for full time... thing is you just get around 900 - 1000 bucks a month for SCHOOL... food... mode of transportation...where the car would come into play.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
You gotta be in College for full time... thing is you just get around 900 - 1000 bucks a month for SCHOOL... food... mode of transportation...where the car would come into play.
You do need to be in school full time to make the most of the money. you can draw half the money about 550 a month if you take 6+ credits, if you take 12+ you get about 1030 a month. Some states have 100% tutition for Guard members, but that is only for state schools, so other schools give 50 to 75%. I get the 75% and the full time GI Bill. So the leftover money goes to the car note.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

i opted for the Marine Corp college fund before I joined so I'm getting $1700 a month plus the state grants. So far I used my GI Bill for rims, rotors, ss hood and ss spoiler.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DGEN411
i opted for the Marine Corp college fund before I joined so I'm getting $1700 a month plus the state grants. So far I used my GI Bill for rims, rotors, ss hood and ss spoiler.
Your a pretty smart Marine dude!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Your a pretty smart Marine dude!

Hey, don't make fun of us Marine's we're not..... wait, nevermind. Yeah, keep going the way you're going.

Quick Reply: anyone using the gi bill to pay for a car?