Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Am I the only Viet Nam vet here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I the only Viet Nam vet here?

Was anybody else there? I was a young 2nd lieutenant in the Marine Corps assigned to 9th motors in Dang Ha, which was just below the DMZ. I ran resupply convoys all over the northern part of South Viet Nam. We later moved the unit to Quang Tri. I was there in 69 and 70. And yes, I am older than dirt.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

That was before my time but all the respect to you.
I was in OIF I.

Semper Fi Sir.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nam was just a little bit before my time (from an active duty stand point), although I vividly remember watching a lot of it on TV when I was younger.

I work with a retired LtCol (USMC) who was an A6 navigator/bomber. Great guy...

Gold Z: Thanks for your service.

Marc
GySgt, USMC (ret.)
Old 12-28-2005, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

My dad was over there:

John M. Ryan, born in 1943
Old 12-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Launching!

When my company went to Iraq, we took 3 nam vets. One had **** thrown on him and was sent home after 21 in country. One lost his amo 15 min after we recieved it (it was in his underware). The other one was sent to HQ b/c he was mentally unstable.

2 most decorate soilders in Texas though
Old 12-28-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

All three of the Nam vets should have been in their mid fifties. They wouldn't be my first choice for support in a firefight.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

My dad was over there also. He still lives with it even today...
Old 01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Uncle was there Dad was in Korea....by the way I went to tech school in Wichita Falls.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gold Z
All three of the Nam vets should have been in their mid fifties. They wouldn't be my first choice for support in a firefight.
Its sad man, probably reserve guys. I feel sorry for them older guys. I mean I'm over here and you see these old guys getting ready to go "down range" wtf. Have they not done their time? Leave these guys alone, they got grandparents over here. Still deploying waiting to hit what 55 to retire for reserve or guard? Thats rediculous. I saw a guy the other day looked every bit of 60. He should be enjoying his twilight years not over here talking bout nam. Hell you retire and then keel over 2 years later, some retirement.

I'm pro military, but I dont like how our people are handled, especially older vets. Or the guys that are told, hey, we need more raptors this year, gonna have to lay you off, seperate. WTF? Didnt we just need more people some years ago? Yeah I rambled off topic sorry.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah I think you might be the only one GoldZ, it's alright though cuz you're the coolest one I've met. It was great seein ya at hooters followed by the racing in the unfinished neighborhood
Old 01-18-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nytmare1
...Gold Z: Thanks for your service.

Marc
GySgt, USMC (ret.)...
Ditto

Old 01-19-2006, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

My gramps was there but he past away. Never spoke of it tho. I was inOIF 3 WITH 25th ID 11b baby! cleaned up mosul..
Old 01-19-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also got the pleasure of a ride in Gold Z's car before his current setup. Pure perma-grin! Can't even imagine it now with 100 more hp, LOL. And yes, I can attest that is his ONLY daily driver.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words, Brent. You might disown me when I tell you I bought a 06 Ford Focus to use as a work car. I spend so much time on the highway that I couldn't see putting so many useless miles on the Blue Z. It's now my evenings and weekends car. I keep teasing my wife about the Focus by telling her that I'm going to put a fart pipe on it. She says she'll divorce me if I do.........
Old 01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I did kinda wondered when you'd throw in the towel using it as a daily driver. It is pretty rowdy.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOLD Z,i want you to know i hold the highest respect for you and many other men like you,i know you men were treated like crap or less than crap when you came back home,my dad was there as well as a few other family members. without going into my true thoughts of the anti-war wussies,THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually I am crazy as a loon but I blame it on my wife........Seriously, it's not just the 'Nam vets that carry the emotional scars. Anybody who has ever been in combat has them. Some of us just hide them better than others but they are still there. About ten years ago my wife and I took my son and a friend of his to Love Field in Dallas where they were to catch a flight to Houston to stay with his friends parents for a few weeks. There is an aviation art gallery in the terminal at Love Field that I really enjoy visiting whenever I get a chance so after the boys had flown off Barbara and I went browsing through the gallery. Hanging on the wall in the gallery I saw a print of "Reflections" by artist Lee Teter. You have probably seen it somewhere, it shows a man, with his head bowed, leaning against "The Wall" with his outstreached right hand. In the shadows, behind all the names on "The Wall" you see the ghostly figures of his fallen comrades reaching back from the other side of "The Wall" touching his hand as if to comfort his pain. http://thewall-usa.com/literary/camunes.html I turned and walked out into the busy airport terminal and started crying. I couldn't stop crying. It scared my wife because she had no idea what was wrong. It took several minutes before I could compose myself. I felt like a total fool for scaring my wife and for making a spectacle of myself in a crowded public place. Actually I feel like a fool right now because my eyes are watering as I type this. My point in this is, nobody comes home from war without their wounds, some are just buried very deep inside until something unexpected opens them up.

Last edited by Gold Z; 01-21-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it's just a coincidence but I just replied to an email from BYUNSPEED on two pair of LCA relocation brackets for Moser 9" rearends. I guess that's a sign I need to buy them from you!

Quick Reply: Am I the only Viet Nam vet here?