Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Help me out, got dropped from my MOS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out, got dropped from my MOS

I am so stunned and dissapointed at the news I recieved a few hours ago.

I enlisted in the Army NG and slated to go into an MI MOS (97B - Counter Intel). Recently found out I would be leaving late July and returning mid December.

Okay great.

Today I get a call from the MEPS station and find that for this MOS, they've up the rank requirements to E-5 up and I can no longer attend. Now I have a choice of: pick another job within my unit, a totally different job and drill elsewhere, or get discharged.

I still had it in my plans to try out ROTC courses when I transfer to a University. I can't quite figure if it would be worth it to now just take a boring administrative job at the same unit while doing ROTC, and then getting out of it later.

I don't know what to do. I checked out this job for months and months and months besides the Army/Guard in general. Now I've lost the job. They just finished their background investigation like 2 months ago too.

Damn it.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's the military for ya. After a while you come to terms with being screwed again and agian. Sorry for your luck.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't take an admin job, try another MI field and then maybe later on you can get that 97B MOS. Maybe you'll get the chance to switch later on
Old 03-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Take any admin job they will give you. Finish school go to OCS and ride out your carear. Or try to get a AGR job. I was going to be an AGR Recuiter, but I pissed off my boss and they cut me. AGR jobs are all the pay of active duty but none of the hassel, and a lot of the the jobs are non-deployable. If I were you I would just go active in the same MOS 97B.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Sux.. Colledge drop!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the rumor is out there that if you dont hit e-5 soon and your a 97b your going to become a 97e which when your over there its the same thing anyway. I am going to try AGR myself trying for a recruiter spot and if I dont like it or I can not get a spot I am going to get whatever I need together to go to OCS you will kick yourself in the butt if you had the chance to go OCS and did not
Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Launching!

That is what happened to me 4 1/2 years ago. I can't believe they are still send out that bullshit. I took 31B Military Police wouldn't trade for anything. I love it, make sure you get into a combat support not garrison
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I was certainly considering MP as well. Just that with the current family situation, I just don't think I should jump into a highly deployable MOS. Maybe later in life ...
Old 03-08-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by firehawks_suck
Take any admin job they will give you. Finish school go to OCS and ride out your carear. Or try to get a AGR job. I was going to be an AGR Recuiter, but I pissed off my boss and they cut me. AGR jobs are all the pay of active duty but none of the hassel, and a lot of the the jobs are non-deployable. If I were you I would just go active in the same MOS 97B.
Wow...that is some pathetic advice.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go OCS period if that is an option!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rothman
That's the military for ya. After a while you come to terms with being screwed again and agian. Sorry for your luck.
Yup. Just another day.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Quick question bout that... im about to enlist in the ng as well and was curious if that applied to 96b inel analyst... I'd be comming in as an e3. The recruiter said that i would be able to do it... but i just wanted to make sure so that i dont get screwed as well...

Thanks alot.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Restricted User

96B can be privates...ha ha ha. Suckers going into MI MOS', once you in the MI Branch, there is rarely any changing, been doing this BS for 12yrs. There is so much more offered. 96B promotions are quick, always been, always will be. 97B/E slower, but once you get a couple yrs in any MI field, you can apply for HUMINT Warrant Officer, they are hurting so bad they were accepting non-MI MOS applicants. Good luck. And if any of you are in Huachuca, for your Schooling let me know. I am reclassing myself, from MI to another, be there this summer.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Well I know in the Navy you can change jobs. I am an AE now, but will be going to AC "A" school in 6 months. Not sure how the Army works, but I bet you can make it happen.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go for 96B. It's kind of like a Jack-of-all trades job on the MI side. Counter Intel is not some CIA like BS some recruiter is going to tell you. There is some neat things to learn there, but nothing that you can't pick-up from being around the people.

BTW, HUMINT'ers are a very wierd buch of people. Not sure why, but they are always the goofiest and wierdest ******* I ever meet.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Go for 96B. It's kind of like a Jack-of-all trades job on the MI side. Counter Intel is not some CIA like BS some recruiter is going to tell you. There is some neat things to learn there, but nothing that you can't pick-up from being around the people.

BTW, HUMINT'ers are a very wierd buch of people. Not sure why, but they are always the goofiest and wierdest ******* I ever meet.

+1 on the HUMINT view. I've been around them 12yrs now and man, there some very intelligent idiots and some just anomolies.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found an MP unit about 50-60 minutes away from me and think I'll go for 31B. I had some choices to stay assigned to the MI unit but none of them interested me. I'll be speaking to my recruiter about this, but since I already have 97B in my contract, if I change over to MP which carries a bonus, will I recieve it? I don't know if I'd be considered non-prior service at this point after completing basic.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
I am so stunned and dissapointed at the news I recieved a few hours ago.

I enlisted in the Army NG and slated to go into an MI MOS (97B - Counter Intel). Recently found out I would be leaving late July and returning mid December.

Okay great.

Today I get a call from the MEPS station and find that for this MOS, they've up the rank requirements to E-5 up and I can no longer attend. Now I have a choice of: pick another job within my unit, a totally different job and drill elsewhere, or get discharged.

I still had it in my plans to try out ROTC courses when I transfer to a University. I can't quite figure if it would be worth it to now just take a boring administrative job at the same unit while doing ROTC, and then getting out of it later.

I don't know what to do. I checked out this job for months and months and months besides the Army/Guard in general. Now I've lost the job. They just finished their background investigation like 2 months ago too.

Damn it.

COME TO THE MARINES

Quick Reply: Help me out, got dropped from my MOS