Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

your decorations??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 Meritorious Service Medals

Broze star is in the works and yes I am a E-7 but not a leather polisher for sure. I like mine dirty.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know. Not everyone earns one by default. Some still earn it the hard way.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GETSOMZ28
WILWAXU, do you know where in Iraq you are going? I am at Phoenix Base (MNSTC-I) in Baghdad. My office is a mix of guys from all services. I am logging some good Joint time here.
I'm going over with NMCB-40 (SeaBee's), I've been told we'll be in Falujah.

I have a buddy (Navy LCDR) heading to simular duty you talking about. He's in training right now at Fort Brag.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richiec77
John. I didn't know you've been in that long man.
Yeah, just a hair over 16 yrs
Old 03-20-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Alot of Bronze Stars have been awarded due mostly for being of the rank and position to justify it. MOST E-7's an O-2's up get one based on the fact that they were in their position during the war. I
Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say I got one for that reason. Two of them, actually. Though I wasn't exactly a desk jocky. I could care less about any of my ribbons or patches. The only thing I put on my uniform that means anthing to me is my CIB with star on it.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well. Most infantry guy's that earn a Bronze star for meritorious servious are in a position to earn it thru Actions that can and do save lives.

I'm talking about the ones that are sitting in the DIV, sending and receiving E-mails all day long, Drink Coffee, Bitch about not being saluted (in a ******* war zone), and really have no impact of the type to deserve an award of this magantude. I've seen WAY too many like this receive the Bronze Star.

2 CIB's? I'd say you earned it.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. Most infantry guy's that earn a Bronze star for meritorious servious are in a position to earn it thru Actions that can and do save lives.

I'm talking about the ones that are sitting in the DIV, sending and receiving E-mails all day long, Drink Coffee, Bitch about not being saluted (in a ******* war zone), and really have no impact of the type to deserve an award of this magantude. I've seen WAY too many like this receive the Bronze Star.

hey, are you over here right now? If so, where are you at?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

You still in Victory. Coiming up there in the middle of April.....
Old 03-21-2006, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, we did a short 5 month tour in Afghanistan last year. Every officer and senior NCO who stayed in the FOB working at battalion hq's watching sattalite TV and surfing the internet all day and never went out on one patrol or ate one MRE all got bronze stars. Then I'm sure they went home on leave telling all kinds of BS war stories And of course they got their CIB's. Everyone of my guys were ambushed 3-4 times before the enemy decided not to play anymore, and the only ones allowed an award were my squad leaders, and it was only an AAM. No one below them were allowed anything.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I'm going over with NMCB-40 (SeaBee's), I've been told we'll be in Falujah.

I have a buddy (Navy LCDR) heading to simular duty you talking about. He's in training right now at Fort Brag.
I just got back from beautiful Fallujah at the end of November.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awards are BS.
They look pretty but it's kind of like collecting coins IMO.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My big hitters are 5 Air Medals for combat related sorties (total of 75+) for OIF/OEF and two Aerial Achievement Medals from the late OSW days.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kenkaru
Awards are BS.
They look pretty but it's kind of like collecting coins IMO.
They do lose their meaning after enough of them are given out (or received)....i have 3 Air Medals.

John
Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Bronze star degraded to an ARCOM/W V device, because I was a squad leader and did not reenlist, had about 50+ kills in Fallujah, Al Najaf, Bagdad and got grazed once in the head by a sniper, hit 5 times with IED's, and lost 2 squad members . but I guess I didn't deserve it. And to think I was actualy thinking of reenlisting INDEF (I did 10 years as an 11 B)
Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

as NCOs we all have to learn the tips and tricks of writing our juniors up for awards. i still have some awards i need to right up for some guys from our last deployment. one tip i learned was to write it high, so that after its been through the chain of cmd, its downgraded to what you actually wanted. kinda like asking for 10 cars and the move when you know you really only want five cars and a flag. anyway, NCOs, take care of your people. you have somebody that deserves recognition do your best to see that he/she gets it. sometimes its the only bone a young troop will get.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
as NCOs we all have to learn the tips and tricks of writing our juniors up for awards. i still have some awards i need to right up for some guys from our last deployment. one tip i learned was to write it high, so that after its been through the chain of cmd, its downgraded to what you actually wanted. kinda like asking for 10 cars and the move when you know you really only want five cars and a flag. anyway, NCOs, take care of your people. you have somebody that deserves recognition do your best to see that he/she gets it. sometimes its the only bone a young troop will get.

There is an art to writing that stuff. Most of my NCOs and SNCOs never gave a rat's *** about them. I saw 5 NAMs in 3 1/2 years in s 5/10. Three of those were jokes. The other two were for our mechs out in Iraq. They ran EVERYONE'S motor pool. Worked sunup to sundown for 7 months.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28

There is an art to writing that stuff. Most of my NCOs and SNCOs never gave a rat's *** about them. I saw 5 NAMs in 3 1/2 years in s 5/10. Three of those were jokes. The other two were for our mechs out in Iraq. They ran EVERYONE'S motor pool. Worked sunup to sundown for 7 months.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

My opinion about awards you don’t think you deserved: Accept them graciously, because there will be 10 other times you should have receive an award where you won’t get anything.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
My opinion about awards you don’t think you deserved: Accept them graciously, because there will be 10 other times you should have receive an award where you won’t get anything.
That's an excellent point. I'm going to quote you on that one.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Launching!

I was put in for 2 NAM's during my 5 years in the Corps and they were both downgraded to an Letter of Commendation by the CO. I figured it was just a formality for the CO to sign off when everyone else in the chain of command, including the XO had done so. I was wrong apparentely.