Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

kickin the hornets nest

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kickin the hornets nest

Well, for those of you that have seen combat and recieved your combat action ribbon, badge...or whatever kind of bone your service's pencil pushers throw you. How do you define combat? Seems to me that people that never see it don't really know how to define it. And another one is the Bronze star with the V. There seems to be a big arguement on whether or not the V is an award for Valor. I really fail to understand how that got mixed up in this war. Just wondering what other's opinions are on it.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Launching!

My opinion is if you are not involved in or in very close proximity to **** blowing up, bullets flying and having to kill ************* to stay alive,you do not know what Combat is.Just my .02 cents.When I was in,every time we went out,that's how our day would go pretty much.I have all kinds of stories.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:33 AM
NKAWTG...N

Well I haven't been in combat, not even close to it actually, but I'd define it as:

Any time you have to take the rules of engagement into action, then it is combat. So if you are fired upon, its combat.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Launching!

That'll work too.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Second Club

Or if some raghead tries to drive his car into you with 16 large rounds in the back of it!!! Too bad he got filled in before he got close enough!

My opinion is anytime you personally take fire as a small unit where you have to return fire back at the enemy to survive. I also think that if someone attacks your unit with indirect fire or roadside bombs you should get it as well because it is an attack targeting your personal safety. Now don't take this out of context because I have seen a number of units get blanketed C.A.R.'s because of the stuff other people did. For instance one small unit takes fire and returns fire then a whole Battalion gets credit for the hardwork of few!
Old 03-05-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any time you have to take the rules of engagement into action, then it is combat.
that deffinition cant work. you use the ROE's even when not engaging in combat

brook
Old 03-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

I got the CAB, OIF2.. was shot at, ambushed on the freeway, took rockets and mortars on a daily basis.. sometimes 2-3 times a day.. and a car bomb blew in my bedroom window when I was getting ready to go to sleep. Every day you never knew what came next. so that would be my defination. I am 74D.. Chemical.. support MOS. but basically the Army bitches in this war. Similar to Vietnam when they made us tunnel rats.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-rex
My opinion is if you are not involved in or in very close proximity to **** blowing up, bullets flying and having to kill ************* to stay alive,you do not know what Combat is.Just my .02 cents.When I was in,every time we went out,that's how our day would go pretty much.I have all kinds of stories.
Yep. Engaging an enemy (as in they shoot at you and you shoot back and stay until you kill them and search their bodies, not just hitting the gas pedal and running out of the kill zone like I know plenty do) in small arms range who is trying to kill you is just a tad different than sitting in a FOB when a 61mm lands 500 meters from you lol. Or the random IED when you never see a bad guy. And I'm willing to bet that the people who are never in a real firefight have the most war stories to tell when they go home.

Quick Reply: kickin the hornets nest