Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How do you transfer to another military branch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How do you transfer to another military branch?

I'm somewhat upset with the Navy right now, as I was misinformed from a Career Counselor that the cap off age for an officer is 29 years of age, when it is in fact 35 years of age. I just recently went on the Navy's chat board and chatted with someone on there regarding my qualifications. They told me to talk with my recruiter. Now i'm beginning to wonder if the Recruiter gets some form of a commission for getting someone in a high demand position.

They seemed to be quite intent on getting me in the IT program, which I have very little to no interest in. I've done some research on it, and i've heard some people talk about getting transferring over to another branch. My ship out date is June 19, 2006. How much time do I have to file the paperwork, and who is it that I should speak with in regards to this?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont need to transfer to another branch...your not in the navy yet. dont join the navy and go join another branch. go to the officer recruiter and tell him the situation and he should be able to help you.

who is this Career Counselor you mentioned? does he work withthe navy enlisted recruiter? if you want to go officer dont even bother talking to them.

brook
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Launching!

If it were me, i'd back out of the contract (as aggiez28 said, you aren't in the Navy yet ). You sound pretty sure you don't want to go in enlisted...if you have a degree you are really selling yourself short to go in enlisted. I'd pursue the officer route if i were you..talk to an officer recruiter and work on cancelling your current contract.

John

Edit: Recruiters are pressured to find bodies to fill slots..you're just a number to him. Recruiters of any branch will tell you whatever it takes to get you to sign on the line. I've heard some dumb $hit that people said their recruiters promised them (like a guarantee that they'd get the assignment they wanted...doesn't work like that in the AF).

Last edited by johnlv6; 05-11-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

ok to kill the myth that military recruiters get a commision that is a blatant lie. We get what they call speical duty pay. Sorry about spelling that wasnt my strong point in school. That pay is $450 a month and honestly its not enough for the job that we do. Recruiting is the hardest job in the military because yes theres "quotas" that we have to meet. Do they shoot us if we dont make it? No. Technically the other services wont really talk to you because your info is in the Navy's data base so if you go to physical for another service that will pop and alot of questions and warning flags go up next to your name. Most services will want to know why you didnt ship for the navy and will require you to do a waiver with there CO. You should work it out with your recruiter and before you decide too go to the other services. Ask your recruiter to talk to the officer recruiter in the district. The officer recruiters rely alot on the enlisted recruiters for their referals. Talk to your recruiter and explain to them that your not happy with what you have.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duece_bigalo01
Recruiting is the hardest job in the military because yes theres "quotas" that we have to meet.
I think an 18 series in a Camp at 8000' on a Afghanistan mountain getting shot at on patrol would qualify as harder then a recruiters job.

Last edited by Z06PSI; 05-14-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I spoke with my Recruiter, and they are scheduling for me to go meet with an Officer Recruiter. Hopefully I can get in, though I dunno, I only have a 3.3 GPA, and a 3.5 is required typically (Depending on the notoriety of the school).

I really don't think that being in IT is a good idea for me, but as stated previously, I had that thrown in my face multiple times.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redrumss
I think an 18 series in a Camp at 8000' in Afghanistan mountain getting shot at on patrol would qualify as harder then a recruiters job.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

3.3 gpa should be fine

brook
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Navy officers are dicks! Thank god im not in the navy. One year on a navy installation is good enough for me. Navy has some crazy segregation going on. **** that noise. Good luck though!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by duece_bigalo01
ok to kill the myth that military recruiters get a commision that is a blatant lie. We get what they call speical duty pay. Sorry about spelling that wasnt my strong point in school. That pay is $450 a month and honestly its not enough for the job that we do. Recruiting is the hardest job in the military because yes theres "quotas" that we have to meet. Do they shoot us if we dont make it? No. Technically the other services wont really talk to you because your info is in the Navy's data base so if you go to physical for another service that will pop and alot of questions and warning flags go up next to your name. Most services will want to know why you didnt ship for the navy and will require you to do a waiver with there CO. You should work it out with your recruiter and before you decide too go to the other services. Ask your recruiter to talk to the officer recruiter in the district. The officer recruiters rely alot on the enlisted recruiters for their referals. Talk to your recruiter and explain to them that your not happy with what you have.

BS, I was signing with the Marine corp as a infantry hoping to go Recon but the army said they could get me in the 18X program so I went with them and I didnt need any kind of waiver nor did they make me redo a physical or the asvab

Quick Reply: How do you transfer to another military branch?