Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

any hats out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any hats out there?

I am stationed @ MCRD san diego and was wondering if there are any other drill instructors out there?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

I know there's a real clean red TA that always parks out by the pt course... I don't think he's a DI or a board member... maybe you can show him what LS1tech is all about
Old 08-20-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by import slayer
I am stationed @ MCRD san diego and was wondering if there are any other drill instructors out there?
I was on the street at PI from '89 to '91.

Marc
GySgt/USMC (ret.)
Old 08-20-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

how was it as a hat back then. what could you get away with? right now I am a hat with MIKE CO @ MCRD san diego
Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Ooorrrrhhhaaaa Mighty Mike!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

how was it as a hat back then. what could you get away with? right now I am a hat with MIKE CO @ MCRD san diego
Get away with? I always trained according to the SOP.

Having said that... you "could" get away with anything you're smart enough to get away with. It's all about watching your 6 and covering each others butts. Not to mention your reputation in the company. If you were a team player, put out 150%, and could be counted on to work "lights to lights" if necessary... you could get away with murder (figuratively speaking). I was never written-up or even called in on the carpet, but I did average a chit or two per platoon.

Watch the hatches and port holes, lock on the animals...err... recruits to sound off whenever anyone unfamiliar walks on deck, and don't do crazy **** in unfamiliar places. Jack them up when you get home. Whenever I supervised extra-curricular activities in the squadbay, I generally positioned myself so I could keep an eye on the quarter deck hatch, rear hatch and the head at the same time. I also made sure the rear hatch into the DI hut was always locked so no one could sneak into my house while playing. Also, never play in the head or shower. Too many corners and blind spots.

I always look back at my two years as a Hat with pride and accomplishment. I don't consider myself to have been the best DI (I worked with many that were better than me), but I trained hard and have run into many of my recruits years later that said "thanks". I currently work aboard Quantico. There's a GySgt here that was one of my recruits. We run into each other every so often at the exchange and have a chuckle over crap we did back then.

Work hard and have a good time... you'll never forget the time you're spending as a Hat.

Oh, BTW... my screen name (nytmare)... that was the name my first platoon gave me when I was the "Third Hat". "DI Sgt Nightmare" They hated life when I had duty.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nytmare1
Get away with? I always trained according to the SOP.

Having said that... you "could" get away with anything you're smart enough to get away with. It's all about watching your 6 and covering each others butts. Not to mention your reputation in the company. If you were a team player, put out 150%, and could be counted on to work "lights to lights" if necessary... you could get away with murder (figuratively speaking). I was never written-up or even called in on the carpet, but I did average a chit or two per platoon.

Watch the hatches and port holes, lock on the animals...err... recruits to sound off whenever anyone unfamiliar walks on deck, and don't do crazy **** in unfamiliar places. Jack them up when you get home. Whenever I supervised extra-curricular activities in the squadbay, I generally positioned myself so I could keep an eye on the quarter deck hatch, rear hatch and the head at the same time. I also made sure the rear hatch into the DI hut was always locked so no one could sneak into my house while playing. Also, never play in the head or shower. Too many corners and blind spots.

I always look back at my two years as a Hat with pride and accomplishment. I don't consider myself to have been the best DI (I worked with many that were better than me), but I trained hard and have run into many of my recruits years later that said "thanks". I currently work aboard Quantico. There's a GySgt here that was one of my recruits. We run into each other every so often at the exchange and have a chuckle over crap we did back then.

Work hard and have a good time... you'll never forget the time you're spending as a Hat.

Oh, BTW... my screen name (nytmare)... that was the name my first platoon gave me when I was the "Third Hat". "DI Sgt Nightmare" They hated life when I had duty.

Good luck,
Marc
HOLY CRAP Marc, u have a recruit on base that is a friggin Gunney now!!!??? Wow old man, that really puts it into perspective!!Lol, joking, see i can say that cause im leaving!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
HOLY CRAP Marc, u have a recruit on base that is a friggin Gunney now!!!??? Wow old man, that really puts it into perspective!!Lol, joking, see i can say that cause im leaving!!!
Oh... aren't you the funny guy. DIG PIG! LOL!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

LOL See u at the RFP man!!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 AM
11 Second Club

haha oh ****. chiming in on a DI thread ...*sniff* i think i can smell a bar-b-que comin..

edit -- not a hat.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

You can tell you are a hat from Hollywood...A PI hat doesn't have time to get on a computer and post stuff on a message board too busy workin or sleeping

PI 01-04, E Co
Old 08-24-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gunny
You can tell you are a hat from Hollywood...A PI hat doesn't have time to get on a computer and post stuff on a message board too busy workin or sleeping

PI 01-04, E Co
Uh oh...
Old 08-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Teching In

I was on the street at PI from '89 to '91.

Marc
GySgt/USMC (ret.)

MMM. I graduated from 1st Bn in '91

Last edited by Gunny; 08-24-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gunny
MMM. I graduated from 1st Bn in '91
I left mid Feb of '91. Was working at the pool (the one out at Weapons Training Bn that's no longer there) at the time as a WSSI.

When I was pushing platoons, I was at 2nd Bn, G Co. I had just started as a DI when PI went to the "lead/follow series" structure.

As a matter of fact... SgtMaj Estrada (SgtMaj of the Marine Corps) was an instructor at DI school when I was a student.

Marc
Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

PI 01-04, E Co
I am on break right now
Old 08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Teching In

As a matter of fact... SgtMaj Estrada (SgtMaj of the Marine Corps) was an instructor at DI school when I was a student.

Marc
He was the RTR SgtMaj when I first got there in '01.

Last edited by Gunny; 08-25-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder how he was as a hat? How was he as a DI instructor?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Teching In

I am on break right now
What do you mean by break? Outpost in between cycles, Sat-down, Quota?

Thought it was obvious but I WAS just messing with you
Old 08-26-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder how he was as a hat? How was he as a DI instructor?
Never knew him as a hat. He wasn't my Squad Instructor, but he seemed quiet and very professional (if not a little serious). But... there wasn't a Squad Instructor that wasn't serious.

Marc
Old 08-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Guys not to jump in and hijack your thread but I am currently the DetCmdr here in Panama City, Panama -MSG; (SSgt). And the Detachment Commander who just left San Jose Costa Rica, was a Drill instructor of mine (GySgt Beuno). We met each other a few months back at a Detachment Conference... talk about the holy **** look that appears on your face. He's got 6 years on me by the way, he freakin couldnt believe it and neither could I. I was stationed at Beaufort (Air Station) before the MSG program and have alot of friends on PI that I raised hell with. The Marine Corps is a small small world.

Quick Reply: any hats out there?