Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Very serious opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 AM
JUICED96Z

Default Very serious opinions needed

Ok guys here is the deal

I have a heart murmur that you can't hear unless I tell the doctor that I have it. Its very minimal. I got threw meps once and the doc did not hear it (ARMY reserve). However if I was shot or something happend and was not given anti-biotic I could die from an infection. I have to take anti biotic before any operation or teeth cleaning.

If I could get in and not have to worry about that I would go MARINE enlisted myabe AF. A buddy of mine is at San Diego in boot right now.

I have flat feet and collor blind in a shade of green but can see the colors just not two really close shades next to each other and all and have been told by a recruiter or two that they can get me around all that and since I have worn cocran jump boots for years pain free they could get me around the flat feet thing to.

My father has been mixed AF/ANG for 27 years and still going. My moms dad is retired ARMY, a good friend of mine is retired ARMY infantry (officer), moms step dad is retired NAVY medivac medic (was shot out of th HUEY and lived), my grandfater was AF for a few years. My great grandmothers husband was ARMY air corps in WWII.

I was Civil Air Patrol for like 8 years and a ground team leader and a C\CMSGT (did not want to go officer). I had a lot of ery well respected AMRY, AF, Marine officers and NCO's tell me I should enlist. A buddy of mine that was ARMY spec ops told me I should. A buddy of mine that I trained side by side with is now ARMY SF. Another one is now a Pararescue instructor. Close buddy of mine is in boot at San Diego.

I have tried my best to let the dream die over the last few years and it will not die. I keep wanting it.

For multiple reasons I would REFUSE to go to millitary docs unless I had to (one of my sholders is hung up thanks to an AF doc but MEPS told me its good to go) and a few other reasons so I could get take my meds and all and not worry about it.

I don't want to do it because of everyone I know doing it and family.

I want to do it because I have a HUGE desier to serve and protect my country. My father is 49 and still raises his hand when they ask for people to deploy to combat zones and I have a TON of respect for him for doing that.

I would go AF or MARINE, maybe AF ANG.

Really looking for some opinions here. I know a REALLY good and honest MARINE recruiter that just signed my buddy up.

I will be done with college this summer (2 year but officer is not for me).

Would like to go Maintenance.

I have allways said I would give up EVERYTHING to do it and I would, the cars for now, everything. Im single, almost done with school.

In Civil Air Patrol everyone over me was AF/ARMY/MARINE and ran things just like the millitary and it was all very structred and I loved the life (not saying it was the real millitary). It really hit me when a MARINE LTC who was Infantry told me I needed to enlist. I even went to our boot for two weeks (ran by a ARMY Infantry CSM who was a past Benning DI) and I did great. NOT that thats the millitary or anything like that.

Do you guys think I should do it? For a while I almost went Pararescue but am very religous and know I would miss a ton of church ect ect but know it would not be much of a problem with a regular job.

I am going to try and talk to my dad about it tommorow. He is ANG but has a TON of respect for MARINES and has nothing bad to say about them.

Thought about going ANG F-16 maintenace and like I said I have been told by recruiters that there is loop holes with the color blind thing.

Sorry for the long post. Just need some very serious opinions.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a tuff one. Im Active duty Navy and if I need any sort of medication I get it from the naval hospital.

Im sure your insurance pays for the medication correct?

The medication needs before dental work etc i would think would give it away. Im not sure how army/Af works but navy/ marines can only be refered to a civilian doctor, unless its a special case. (location)

Ill pray for ya bud, other than that im not sure what else i can offer as far as advice goes.

Keep me informed please!!

I would think you could get into trouble for not telling someone this. I know we have some recruiters here on the site that would be more help.

If your heart desires military do it. Do it with pride. You will see when you make it how many people loose the spirit of serving with pride. Don't let these people rub off on you. Your doing a job that few have the courage to do..

Its an amazing opp and adventure!! Good luck!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u so decide to enlist - do it honestly if there's any medical insecurities u have. i know some folks say that u shuld be honest to the fullest extent - if u *ever* have done pot, etc., but IMHO, stuff like that, as long as its done and overwith and u can honestly say that u've moved on, then dont worry about it.

i had a guy in my AF basic training flight who MEPS pushed thru and lied about his asthma. when it came to pt, the kid pushed himself too hard, had an asthma attack, an the MEPS personnel got completely screwed. so its better to be safe than sorry when it comes down to any medical issues. i also dont blame u about not wanting to see a military doc.

as stated before - there are loopholes with just about everything - just let the MEPS personnel take care of that part.

if ur undecided about enlisting, then maybe think about goin all the way through MEPS, takin the ASVAB, seeing wut jobs are available to you. u can sign the papers for ur job training and reservation, get packed up, ready to go, and on ur way to MEPS for the last time before u ship out, and still back out at the last second.

if anything, finish school first!!! looks like u are already in that mindset..but, just for reverification, get that out the way dude. in the AF, once u get to ur first duty station, u have to go thru CDC's, which are volumes of books about ur job that u have to learn before u start any classes, which can take anywhere between 6 months to a year to finish. after u finish that, the AF only allows u to take 2 classes at a time, or 3 if u get approval. there are programs which will allow u to go to school full-time, if thats ur choice.

anyways, thats just some advice from me..hope this helps u out. good luck an ill be prayin for ya dude.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 AM
JUICED96Z

Yeah I plan to finish school first. To close to being done to quit now.

Last time I made it threw MEPS and the ASVAB fine. The duck walk is what screwed me up but a lot of that is I think because I was not in shape AT ALL and my legs were giving out on me LOL. I was later told there is a loop hole with that if I get something from my civilian doctor stating that I have never complained about pain in my feet or have never been seen about it.

I know the only thing that would keep me out is the murmor. I knew a guy that was big red 1 and when he was overseas he got hurt (long time ago) and they did not give him and kind of antibiotic and he almost died, then the found out he had a murmor and just a medical out.

I have been TOLD that these days they allways give you antibiotics now to be on the safe side.

I have been with my civilian doc for a very long time and thinking that if I went he would still write me a perscription if I needed it and I would just pay out of pocket (not that much $$$).

I have had shots, blood work, ect ect and never taken it, my parents and docs say I should just take it for dental work or any kind of sugery to be on the safe side.

NEVER had any problems with it, go in for an EKG every now and then and when I went last year the doc said its almost not even a murmor and not to worry about it.

Is their a waiver for it if multiple civilian doctors say its VERY minimal and not an issue? Doubt it. They can't even hear it unless I tell them and even then most of the time they can't hear it.

If there was a waiver for it or some sort of loop hole I would be THRILLED.

If I could go MARINE it would be fighter maintenance to one day get JSF's or Tanks.

AF or GUARD it would be most lilkey 16's to JSF or F/A-22 maintenance at one point.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-04-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

i had a buddy while i was in marine corps that had a heart murmur. i imagine it was discovered after he was enlisted but he finished his contract. i dont remember him having any problems. as for antibiotics after surgery i had about 20 surgeries after being wounded in iraq and always had a anti biotic treatment after surgery i think. u can get hurt doing anything and you need maintnence/support types just as much as trigger pullers. cant have one without the others. good luck
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 PM
JUICED96Z

Yeah thats what I have been told also.

My buddy thats at San Diego right now signed up for Infantry. Thats cool and all for some people but I don't think its for me.

I really like working on things and have allways liked the idea of being a M1A2 gunner when it comes to shooter related jobs. The guy I used to know that had a murmor and did not get anitbiotics back in the day was a Bradley gunner and loved it. That happend to him back in the late 90's but his was a lot worse. Don't know how he got threw meps.

I get cuts and all all the time and never take anti biotics for it......

Any of you recruiters have anything to share?

Only thing I would be worried about is going in for a check up and them hearing it after I was in but like I have been told my my doctor who is in his 30's. If I don't tell them they can't hear it. When I tell them they have to really look and listen hard for it.

Most recruiters have just told me not to worry about it and not say anything but I know a lot of them were not very honest people. Have met one or two that were very honest with me. The last one was AF and he told me he would get me around the color blind thing and flat feet thing and not to worry about it.

More than anything I am hoping a few of them might respond on here and shed some light on everything very honestly. I don't want to be told "yeah we can get you around all that no problem" then after a lot of time and work find out they can't get me around it. I don't want to go calling people untill I know something for sure because I hate wasting peoples time and know I would get honest answers on here faster then calling around and wondering if people are being straight with me.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-04-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Ok guys here is the deal

if I was shot or something happend and was not given anti-biotic I could die from an infection.
That could happen to any of us.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Compstall
That could happen to any of us.

True and good point, I guess I am at a SLIGHTLY higher risk for it.

When I go to the dentist they don't even ask all the time if I pre med. I really think people are being overly cautios and a lof ot them are affraid of getting sued if something happens and they did not ask and all.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Marines work on F-18's. Im a Navy aviations machinist mate.

When i learned my job i went to school with half marines half navy.

If i could do it over again i would have chosen my job with the marines. Marines have much more pride in their work.

Honestly you will with no branch be able to choose the type of aircraft/tank or location of the squadron/Tanks

You sign up to work on a certain system. then they pick where your going to work and what you will work on.

Aviation is a really fun billet to be in. You get to travel to some really cool places.

If you have any questions about the aviation side of marines let me know.

Also Navy really isnt what most think it to be. Myself and many other have volunteered to augment into a soldier billet for a period of 6-mon to 1 year, and still be able to return to your duty station after your tour and work on aircraft.

Either way good on you for steping up to the plate.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM
JUICED96Z

I am good buddies with a guy that was NAVY. They NAVY and him did not mix.... he wold me about his many "fire watches" LOL.

The MARINE LTC I used to know was former enlisted ARMY Ranger.

He told me once that I would make a good MARINE. That has allways stayed with me. When I was a cadet SNCO he pulled me aside one day and told me I REALLY needed to go officer because he needed more good officers. Meant and said a lot coming from a MARINE LTC now COL.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
I am good buddies with a guy that was NAVY. They NAVY and him did not mix.... he wold me about his many "fire watches" LOL.

The MARINE LTC I used to know was former enlisted ARMY Ranger.

He told me once that I would make a good MARINE. That has allways stayed with me. When I was a cadet SNCO he pulled me aside one day and told me I REALLY needed to go officer because he needed more good officers. Meant and said a lot coming from a MARINE LTC now COL.
Marines stand plenty of watches too Truuust me.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
Marines stand plenty of watches too Truuust me.

This was one of those watches when he was in a hole looking down and had people welding above him and had sparks landing on him (keep in mind this was back in the 80's). Him and the NAVY did not mix lol. One of those watched when the whoe time you are trying to figure out who you got REALLY mad at you lol.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=KrisXpc]Marines work on F-18's. QUOTE]

Aviation Marines work on alot more then just F-18's...

Not sure about the comment that marines have alot more pride in thier work, in fact im slightly offended by that statement (10 years ive been an aviation electronics tech in the navy)

It is true, you wont get to pick what when or where you work on anything, your first duty station will be picked for you, about the only thing you can guarantee when you sign up is what type of equipment you want to work on (IE engines,airframe,electrical or avionics), but not what type of aircraft. I also can tell ya that yes the recruiter can get you past the colour blindness and get you in, but it will most defenetily disqualify you for any type of aviation maintenance. (cannot be any electrical aviation job with colour blindness, and you cannot be on any flight deck, so basiclly you cant do your job)

To be very very honest, i appluad your enthusiasm and drive to join the military, your intentions are very noble. but if you have to lie or not disclose a certain medical condition in order to get in, i highly recommend you dont join. If you disclose your condition and they still get you in go for it!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
JUICED96Z

Thats the problem Murmur= no go unless there is a loop hole or waiver that I don't know about.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

are u positive that the murmor is a no-go? ive seen some people come in and they have, wut i wuld think, potentially serious medical conditions. i wuld think that the heart murmor is up to the flight doc to determine whether or not its serious enough to bar ur enlistment.

when u went thru MEPS, wut branch office did u go to? did u sit down an talk with any specific office, or did u just simply take the test and go thru the physical?

i was pretty sure that, with the AF, if u scored high enough, that u culd choose wut airframe to work on. if memory serves, i was originally supposed to be a crew chief of an F-15...but MEPS conveniently "lost" my paperwork later on an blah blah blah. i may not remember correctly, or things may have changed since then, so dont take my word for granted that if u join the AF, u pick ur airframe.

with ur selection of wut base u want to go to - we have dreamsheets we fill out at each station. well..u have the option to fill them out. when i filled mine out in basic, i got my first pick - kadena ab, okinawa, japan. i updated the sheet when the listing came out for stateside bases that wuld have E-4 slots open at the time of my PCS (permanent change of station), and i got my first pick again - langley afb, hampton, va. some - arent so lucky/blessed. there's different rumors floatin around on how to strategically pick ur next assignment. also, in the AF, if u returning from a remote location (i.e. korea, turkey, iceland, etc.), u have 1st priority of where u want to go. 2nd down on the list are the people who are stationed overseas, then 3rd down are the ones stateside. thats why i've heard its much easier to stay overseas once there. thats just from my 4 1/2 years exp in the AF...

but i wuld seriously check out the heart murmor thing with a military doc to see wut they say about it. ive seen some real shady stuff with some of the military hospitals and wut they shove off as just minor pain. but definately dont lie about it - especially if u have to take meds for it. coz if u dont have ur meds down in basic, u culd be screwin urself. but talk to a military doc about it bro..
Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 PM
JUICED96Z

And see I have been told that before. I have been told if I talk to the right people in high enough places that I would be suprised with what can be "written off"

When I was first going in it was ARMY Guard Blackhawk crew chief. then when I failed the color test it was communications.

I later found out that I can talk to a millitary doc they will have a few different color markers. Like one green, one blue, one yellow or something. You pass that test (think it was called the RAW test) and you are no longer color blind.

I know for a FACT that I can have my heart doctor sign something saying that my condition is minimal at best and be 100% truthfull about it.

When I first went it I took the ASVAB and did all the other stuff at Meps, hearing test, drug test ect ect. They did not know about the murmur but was told once I can do the duck walk I can go in.

I later find out that you can go to a millitary doc on the flat feet thing and get around that also.

My problem is that I did not have a recruiter that wanted to work HARD for me and it was a GUARD recruiter.

When I thought about going Pararescue about a year ago I talked on the phone to an active AF recruiter for a few minutes and told him about everything but the murmur and he laughed and told me not to worry about it. He would just put me threw meps then after that would take care of everything.

I have allways been told there is NO waiver or anything for the murmur but was also told by the same recruiters that there ws nothing they could do for the feet or eyes but later found that not to be true.

The murmur is the only thing I don't know about and thats why I am hoping one of the recruiters jumps in here.

Anyone know of a millitary doc that I could talk to that you might know personally?

My father has to go in for a mandatory check up (Air National Guard) later this year and I know he could ask the doc while he is there but I wonder if they would know just being ANG.

Like I said, I know the civilian docs would gladly write something up and provide EKG's proving its very minimal.

I want it more then anyone I have ever known, however I want it honestly.

The guy that put my cage in is related to the MARINE recuiter that signed my buddy up and he took realy good care of him so I know he would work hard for me. I just want to know first before I waste his time. I know at MEPS once you say he word murmur to the doc you are out but once I failed the duck walk I was out to lol. I laughed knowing the number of years I have worn cocran jump boots (WWII style with the hard soles) pain free....

If I had my way I would go over seas as much as I could.

I think a lot of the time most recruiters are so busy that they don't take the time to find out the ends and outs of things and just give up on people like me.

I found out about the color test and foot thing on a AF spec ops site from a few PJ's lol.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-04-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=eurospec1]
Originally Posted by KrisXpc
Marines work on F-18's. QUOTE]

Aviation Marines work on alot more then just F-18's...

Not sure about the comment that marines have alot more pride in thier work, in fact im slightly offended by that statement (10 years ive been an aviation electronics tech in the navy)
Yes Helos, harriers, f-18's etc etc..

He mentioned the F-16. Sorry if offended you. Wasn't my intention. Its just an observation ive seen.

Marines always have pride in Marine anything. The few guys that have for say a "Navy or USN" Tattoo always get raged on by others.

Every morning/night colors goes down people scatter like roaches.

The list goes on. Im sure you have seen this. Maybe I just have to many Marine friends.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Just notes from a Cardiologist and the same issue for years.

What is typically diagnosed as a heart murmur is MVP or Mitral Valve Prolapse.
Over 50% of the population has a heart murmur.
Some require medical attention, most do not.
Seeing a certified cardiologist and have a sonagram done will eliminate MVP.
This can be presented to the military docs under a waiver if it falls into the "general population" type of murmur.
Antibiotics are no longer required as a precaution in dental procedures if it is a lesser form of murmur, not MVP which does require antibiotics for any minor medical or dental treatment.

This is from personal lifetime of family doctors saying *sometimes* they could hear it and EKG's that were normal. It took a certified Cardiology specialist to confirm it was a generic and common murmur that did not require antibiotics nor put my health at risk, even for dental procedures. Check with a certified Cardiologist for actual medical diagnosis.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
JUICED96Z

Hmmm well I know my cardioligst said it was really nothing and just wanted me to come in once a year or so just for a check up and thats it to be on the safe side.

The last time I saw him I don't think I asked him about the pre meds....

I asked my father about the murmur and he told me I need to call my cardioligist and ask him. SOOOO I will call them Friday.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-05-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:26 PM
JUICED96Z

Ok, I talked to my mom and my heart doctors secretary.

What it is is bycuspid polmenary stenosis. What is it is one of the tubes/valves in my heart is a little smaller then the other ones that goes to my lungs.

Since I have been alive the condition has not become worse or changed. All the EKG's have been the same.

Going in the first of May to get and EKG and talk to them about it.

I knew a guy in the ARMY that got a medical out from it but his was a lot worse then mine as far as I know and got an infection and all that because he got really sick one day and did not know he had it and he did not get any antibiotics.

The reason I have to take antibiotics is because just to prevent an infection thats it.

This condition has not got worse AT ALL or changed since I was born, nor is it ever suspected to get worse. Both are documented in my file at the heart doctor. The valve/tube is smaller BUT works fine from what they have told me.

Its one of those things that you have but never causes any problems or anything.

I do have a SMALLLL murmur but its just there because thats the sound the valve makes.

Something tells me this condition will keep me out waiver or no waiver from a millitary doc......???

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-06-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Very serious opinions needed