Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

navy pilots needed

Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default navy pilots needed

ok im 19 about to turn 20 in may. im joining the navy after the summer for personal reasons everyone dosnt want me to go but i feel i need it in my life right now! first thing i took my pre test and scored 95 out of 100. dont know if its easier or harder dont care. second i want to be a navy pilot and dont have a 4 year degree at any school. my recruiter told me about STA-21 which is a officer program wich after u pick what u want to do and go through boot camp and ur secondary job school u can apply for STA-21 and then they put u in any school in the USA that has a ROTC for the navy.
after i get my 4 year degree i go to pilot school and thats how i would become a pilot.

so my question is, is this for real and a easy goal to reach or hard and not accomplishable?

Last edited by Disturbed Bird; 04-09-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Teching In

there are a bunch of Officer programs. STA-21 is a good one and there is also the Naval Academy, these would be your best bet. As long as your in good helth and have good SAT scores there not to hard to get into. But as far as flight school, that isnt going to be the easiest thing to get into, its not imposible theres just a bunch of applicants. but what ever you do good luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Teching In

here is the number for the director for STA-21 in Newport RI (401) 841-6613 im sure thay will be able to give you a ton of info.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you vary much
Old 04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

I have a friend that is a coast guard pilot, I could get you in touch with him if it would help.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

sure.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I'm a Marine pilot. We go thru the same training as the Navy.

You have to apply for the academy in your junior year of HS. I think Your a little late for that.
I don't know anything about STA-21, but it sounds to me like your prior enlisted before you get comissioned and go to flight school.
If I were in your shoes, I'd get some loans and get the easiest 4 year bachelors degree you can get. Make sure you get it at a school that is recognized by the Navy though. Most are. Then get comissioned, go to OCS, then off to flt school.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

one more Q: when do u get ur sign up bonus? when u sign up or after boot camp or what?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
one more Q: when do u get ur sign up bonus? when u sign up or after boot camp or what?
I never got one of those.

I dunno about the navy, but Marine pilots only get it if they renew thier enlistment. I have an 8 year contract, so in 8 years, when I re-up, I'll get a fat bonus. We didn't get any initial signing bonus. Only enlisted guys get that I thought.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

im going in as enlisted than switching to the STA-21 program thats when ill be going through the pilot program. but im suppose to get a nice sign up bonus for avation mechanic. just wondering when i get it.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Teching In

why bother with the enlisted? why not just go officer?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

You will get your bonus after you finish your "A" school. The bonus is a incentive for you to complete that school not for joining the navy. It is alot easier to go officer once you are enlisted there a ton of programs that you can use. going officer straight out of college is harder becasue they look at what your degree is in and your gpa. and just to be competitive you have to have atleast a 3.5 or higher. either way you choose good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Usually the first month of you being at your first command you will get your bonus. Another good thing about STA-21, Is while you are going to school, you are getting paid your regular pay that you got before. But on the down side, it is a full time school, no summer break.... For every year it takes you to complete your college thats two years you have to surve the navy. Your best bet though is get your pre-reqs out of the way, that way when you go up for board they see that you allready have some school experince and are willing to go through with it. There are a lot of stuff that most people don't think about, like your package... Interviews, An Essay stating why it would be a good decision on the Navy's part to allow you to go through the program. You can even go SEAMAN TO ADMIRAL. I know of three people that is doing that, Once you choose your A-school, AND MAKE SURE YOU DO GO TO A-SCHOOL, don't sign up as an Airman, Fireman, Or Seaman ie Undesignated Recruit. Make sure you are locked in on a rate that you would like to work in. Good luck and keep us Posted. Any more questions feel free to ask

Lane
Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 AM
JUICED96Z

On the Naval acadamey I want to say its like the AF acadamey and you have to me accepted by the end of the summer before you start your senior year in high school.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks everyone
Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Watch out for the bonus. becouse lets say you sign up for a rate that gets a bonus for 5 years and you go to STA-21 or whatever in two you break your contract and have to pay a portion of it back. But ya STA is cool you get E-5 pay till you make E-6
what school were you looking into? I herd some used to have incetives, But im not sure.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

uf in gainesville,fl. or if i can ucf
Old 04-12-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure how you guys are saying officer programs are easy to get while enlisted. Maybe im just in a command that doesnt put it out. I do talk to most of the pilots and a good % of them are prior enlisted.

Most of whom did the 4-5 year enlisted. Eared a 2 year degree during that first enlistment. Then GI billed a 4 year degree and then did the officer programs.

Hell.. I've seen E1's with a BA and they are having trouble with getting into a officer program.

Ive also seen 7 year chiefs make LDO... To each his own..

What rate did you choose? If you have any questions about any Enlisted aviation rate I'll gladly give you the spill.

Im an aviations machinist mate. Cool rate.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Teching In

sta-21 is VERY competitive. You are going against senior enlisted personnel and everyone else in the navy. They only grab 1200 a year and I was told only about 5 of those spots are for E-3 and below. Me being E-3 and new to the Navy its almost impossible unless you stay in for a while and make rate to E-5. Also with sta-21 its very hard to be guaranteed pilot. If they don't need pilots after you pick it you go "needs of the navy" it happened to a friend of mine who is E-5. If you are below 22 I would recommend applying for the Naval Academy while active duty. That is what I am trying to do. 100 spots reserved for active duty every year. But think how many fit the age bracket and actually apply? I was applying but ran out of time for the year so I have to try next time. My counselor told me I would def be going if I had finished. They also send you to NAPS (naval academy preparation school) in Rhode Island which helps you get an edge over your civilian competition in the academy. However you MUST be AT the academy before your 23rd birthday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: navy pilots needed