Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Back in ol' Civil Air Patrol

Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 AM
JUICED96Z

Default Back in ol' Civil Air Patrol

Was in from like 97-01. Out since then because of school and work.

Was a ground team leader (search and rescue team leader) and some other stuff.

Able to get back in now with my old unit (back in as a senior member, not cadet) as the Emergency Services/Ground Search and Rescue Team officer and MAYBE the Cadet Commander later this year.

The ES officer is something I worked 5 years to get. Made a name for myself is this state so I guess it paid off down the road.

The unit I am going back to is not like the 90% of the other units. Its not a glorified boy scouts. An officer of higher rank walks by going down the hall and you hit the wall. More unit merrits and unit of the year awards then I can count. Number 1 unit in the state right now out of A LOT. Was run and started by an ARMY CSM who is Infantry and former DI who is now back on active duty at Benning.

To give you an idea on the ES position I will be in charge of all ES and ground SAR operatios for Indianapolis. I will only have one or two people above me on the state level.

Going back on Monday to see some old friends that are still there and start the ball rolling again.

I went to basic and advanced SAR school at Camp Atterburry and it looks like I will have to go back to the advanced school in July to get recertified in everything really quick. http://www.campatterbury.org/

SUPER excited about all this and the people above me have known me for years and respect me as much as I respect them!

Right now the units ground SAR team is not active do to various reasons (not bad) and they need me to get it back up and going again.

Units awards and accomplishments (few new ones still not posted yet)

1994 Squadron of Merit

1995 Squadron of Merit (pretty sure we got it for 06 also)

1996 Indiana Cadet Squadron of the Year (pretty sure we got it for 06 also)

1997 Indiana Cadet Squadron of the Year

3 Unit Citations (think it sup to 4 now)

1997 National Color Guard Competion Champions

5 Indiana Cadet of the Year Award winners

3 Indiana Cadet NCO of the Year winners

2 Indiana Senior Member of the Year winners

8 Spaatz Awards

(highest cadet achievment, Cadet Colonel)

Almost 20% of Spaatz awards from Indiana

8 International Air Cadet Exchange participants

3 time Great Lakes Region Color Guard Competion Championships (more then any other unit in the great lakes region)

4 time Indiana Wing Color Guard Championships

7 Cadets have gone on to either the USAF Academy, Naval Academy, or Westpoint

10 Cadets attended flight encampments or received flight scholarships

11 graduates of Cadet Officer School

7 presidents of Indiana Cadet Advisory Council

27 various Indiana Wing awards

1 past IN Wing Commander

1 past Great lakes region Commander

Current National Emergency Services Director

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 05-31-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i did CAP from 96-00. It was great. Lot of people doing jobs that they couldnt handle, and several unprofessional members, but it was still a blast.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:31 AM
JUICED96Z

Yeah it seems things have really changed since I got out in 01.

Really stressed out trying to get everything up and going again. A LOT has changed and its going to take a while to adjust. The last school I went to I went to like 6 months before I got out. I have been out so long that I have to go back in July LOL. Depressing.....

Don't know how I will like being an officer. As a cadet I was an SNCO lifer. GOt C/CMSGT and stayed there.

Butter bars for me in a month or two.....

Forgot how expensive stuff is. Put an odrer in for all my patches for 5 sets of BDU's (tired of just having two sets) and it was $70 something shipped

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 06-02-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I was in CAP from 1999-2003. I loved it! Its a great program and I am seriously considering going back to my squadron. I was so busy with school and all I got was a Cadet Master Sargent. My buddy Dane made cadet major and he was talking about getting back into it too. He was ground team but he ran a lot of mission ops and was going to PJOC. I am so jealous of him!!! It funny to hear other people talk about the program. Have a great time.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i was able to get my mitchell award and was cadet commander when i was in. But then i ended up leaving out of frustration.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:15 AM
JUICED96Z

Well I am fightig to get to to to team leader school and not advanced NGSAR.

Now you have Basic, Advanced, and Team leader. When I went threw Advanced WAS team leader school!

Asked my Sqd commander (former Spaatz cadet) to fight for me and I am sure she will. The guy I have to talk to is the former Sqd commander and he is a PAIN to get a hold of. I asked the current one for permision to go straight to the guy at National. He is easy to get a hold of and talk to.

Even if I can't I will still be in charge on ops, just under the table LOL.

I liked this Sqd when I was in, almost no frustration, but I have seen a lot of crap in other units. You put the right people in the right positions and things go great.

I am going to try and go for Cadet Commander also but will be more then happy with ES Officer.

I don't think CAP gets the respect it deserves. I think a lot of people see it as the boy scouts and for some units thats true but for the others its an insult.

We don't go out and just play in the woods. We go out to save lives, we don't get paid, we have to pay for all our own stuff, spend a lot of time away from our families, we do a dangerous job. I know one guy that never came back. His plane crashed and his ground team is the one that found him.

To many bad units that give CAP a bad name!

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 06-03-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back in ol' Civil Air Patrol