Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

ASVAB/Future plans

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASVAB/Future plans

A couple months ago i had the option to take the ASVAB at my highschool, so out of curiousity i took it and got a 93. Can anyone give me a little help as to what this means career wise in the military, i understand my certain 'aspects' or whatever i'm good at based on the letters from the interests section. I'm going to be a Jr. next yr. so i kno i'll have to take it again if i do decide to go in.
Really i can't think about my future too much b.c it makes me want to rip all my hair out. For those who want to listen to the rant keep reading, if not skip to next paragraph. About 3 yrs. ago i had a couple seizures. I haven't had one in prob. 2 1/2 yrs, also. Nothing major, and we got it all straightened out. I can come off my medicine any time (which i'm not worried about, i forget to take the **** 1/2 the time anyway and nothin bad ever happens) but i will have a suspended liscense for 6 months, meaning no more t/a After some thinking on it i decided its only 6 months worth, i'll just come off it and be done with it, since i understand you have to be off all medication for a yr. before going into the service, correct? The real killer is the seizure condition has screwed my out of ever getting a shot at flying, which is what i was going to aim for in my life. I've been hooked on aviation ever since my grandpa took me up in his cessna so i'm extremely dissapointed about this. After finding out i wouldn't get the chance i've sort of re evaluated what i want to do w/ myself.
I want to serve, but i've also been looking pretty deeply into med. school, which i should be able to get into based on my GPA, class rank, and ACT score ( i got a prediction of 28, but i don't think the 'predictions' are worth jack). The only problem with that is if i get out of highschool at 19, spend a four yr minimum. in the service when i get out im 23, by the time i go through pre-med and med school I'm fing 31, minimum. Just seems a little old to be finishing up school and i would be in the poor house for yrs. after that trying to pay off student loans, not the way i want to be when starting a family about then.
Does ANYONE have any advice for me what so ever? I'll really take anything, i just want someones opinion. I know i'm prob. looking too far ahead, but if i do want to go into the military i have to decide soon so i can get off my medicine or it will put my whole plan on hold. Taking my ACT next yr. will also make or break the colleges i can get into- so it's all going to be very real very soon.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Launching!

take the test agian...115+ is what you like to get..that will open the doors to almost any job

but the seizures will hold you back. drivers license is questionable cause of everything going on. its more about the job you are looking for and the security clearence

i have a son and a recent retired vet @33 i would tell my son college > military
Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

93 is a great score but the seizures are gonna hurt you if you want in the air force. the army, on the other hand, gives waivers for everything under the sun (you just might be locked out of specific fields).

BUT

if you have the grades, ability, and drive to go to med school, it's no contest IMO. and when you become a doctor, you can always try for the military then. physicians are always needed in the military and they would probably offer to pay your loans off.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok.. part i forgot to mention, one of the sections was left out (like the geometric figures section i think) but this still counts and is elligeable if i want to go in. The highest possible on this test was a 99. I've put a little thought about military after college, i want to feel like i've served my country and don't take all our freedom and everything were given for granted even though i know i still will somewhat. Lifes too short and you get old too fast.. only in highschool and am already realizing. In my dream world I'de serve in the military for 4 yrs.. get my md. pay off my loans and make enough for a nice house and farm ground, get out of the medical field and be a farmer. It sucks big time farm ground is 4000+ an acre around here. My grandpa has a farm and i love to work with him but if i went military then took over the family farm my kids would have an uneducated father.. not something i want for them. $4000 acre X 900 acres(minimum)= $360,000. and that's just for land, nevermind the other $100,000 you'll have in equipment and seed by your first year. So not only do i want to be educated, but starting a farm is damned expensive.
i realize i'm going off on rants here, but i'm just lookin for advice so i thought i'de explain my whole way of thinking. I think The Professor makes a pretty good point, anyone else have an opinion?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do.

Forget medical school if you want money. That, or forget the military alltogether.

Like you pointed out, you can't quite do both if you want to farm. I'd say do the medical school, be a doctor in the military and then retire to the farm.

One thing, just because you decide not to go to college, or med school, doesn't mean you're uneducated.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CockerKid009
but if i went military then took over the family farm my kids would have an uneducated father.
Why is that? Wouldn't you want to work on your education while you were active duty (provided you ever qualify - seizures & all). I know a guy who started with nothing for college and finished off his B.S. in Applied Nuclear Technologies in his first 4 years. Based on experience and taking classes. Granted, not everyone is cut out for the services, but to think it's one thing or the other is shortsighted.

And yes, 99 is the highest score you can earn.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The army doesnt care how high you scored. The army only cares whether you passed the entrance requirements, and whether or not your GT score was above 110. I got a 98 on my asvab. A GT of 131 and most of the rest of my line scores (MM, MECH, COMMO, TECH) maxed at 139. It's never done a damn thing for me. Food for thought.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a recruiter in Pekin dude (NOT BY CHOICE GUYS). I'll be at the GTG in Bloomington this month. If you want to talk before that, give me a call. 877-346-2353
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

My honest opinion? Go to college. Even for at least one year. You'll get that much longer to think about it, and if you decide that you want to sign up, you'll get rank up to E-3 for free, based on how many credits you have. Also, if you decide to become O, you're 3-4 years away.

NEVER enlist rock bottom unless that's what you WANT to do, and no doubts about it. Some people here want their boots in the sand. Others want to see the world ASAP, and still others want to touch F-15s right out of HS. Joining the military is a great way to establish future plans up to retirement, but enlisting to E-1 isn't the wisest.

No offense to my brothers who enlisted right out of HS - I did too.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

The E-3 isn't free...it would cost what ever is necessary to get about 24 credits. . .

Nothing wrong with 'rock bottom' enlisted. Someone has to do it.

IF he's got the 93 ASVAB he says, then he SHOULD qualify for more technical jobs (based on security clearances/police records/none of our business) and therefore, E-2 or possibly E-3. I speak from experience (ALSO a recruiter see profile) and his score is EXACTLY what we're looking for when it comes to intelligent people to operate our nuclear reactors. One benifit of the Navy Nuclear Power Program is starting E-3 if you qualify AND automatic advancement to E-4 upon completion of the 1st of 3 schools (disclaimer - if you screw around at school and get in trouble - could lose the E-4). If anyone wants to discuss this further, either message here, or PM me. I would gladly continue.

Duff/Ward/EMC(SW/AW) Wixon
USN AD 18 1/2 years
Old 06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duffster
The E-3 isn't free...it would cost what ever is necessary to get about 24 credits. . .
6 year enlistments will net you E-3 "for free".

Nothing wrong with 'rock bottom' enlisted. Someone has to do it.
That's not the type of justification I would exercise when making a decision like that, especially a smart guy who could press through college and at least grab some stripes or bars.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
6 year enlistments will net you E-3 "for free".
CASE by case basis, not automatic.

That's not the type of justification I would exercise when making a decision like that, especially a smart guy who could press through college and at least grab some stripes or bars.
As I said, IF he's got the 93 ASVAB he says, then he SHOULD qualify for more technical jobs (based on security clearances/police records/none of our business) and therefore, E-2 or possibly E-3. Didn't try to steer him to anything that would lock him E-1. Use your brain, get paid more. What I always tell students/applicants/DEPpers (those in delayed entry).
Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Duffster
CASE by case basis, not automatic.
In what branch? E-3 is free if you decide to do 6 years in the Air Force.... Matter of fact, I put on E-3 right after I graduated my technical school.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet 98
In what branch? E-3 is free if you decide to do 6 years in the Air Force.... Matter of fact, I put on E-3 right after I graduated my technical school.
I just confirmed with one of my classifiers (job experts) and E-3 AFTER school isn't what I was talking about. I'm talking about going to bootcamp as an E-3. The only job in the Navy that gives you guarenteed E-3 is the Nuclear Propulsion Program. There are other ways to get E-3 before going to bootcamp guarenteed into your contract. E-3 while at bootcamp and GUARENTEED E-4 upon completion of school is completely different than E-3 after school.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the info guys- it really gives me some stuff to think on. Got another step taken care of today, just took the ACT and even though i'm just going to be a jr. this yr. it showed me what to expect. I took it more or less for practice, it'll be a couple months before i get my scores. Dantastic, when you said the get together in bloomington you mean the hooters meet? I'll def. have to talk to you there. At least i'm gathering options here. As far as the Navy and the nuclear program goes, i don't know if that's exactly my style, but i'm certainly judging the book by its cover here. If i go military i want a specialty that involves a lot of physical stuff, i guess you would call it grunt work, but that doesn't bother me. I guess i have 2 different sides, my nerdy side which wants college and med school and then my other side that want to do physical stuff in the military then farm. With cars i get both A little bit of nerdy (you can't tell me finding a cam with the right specs. isn't nerdy) with a little bit of tough.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

My honest opinion? Go to college. Even for at least one year. You'll get that much longer to think about it, and if you decide that you want to sign up, you'll get rank up to E-3 for free, based on how many credits you have. Also, if you decide to become O, you're 3-4 years away.

NEVER enlist rock bottom unless that's what you WANT to do, and no doubts about it. Some people here want their boots in the sand. Others want to see the world ASAP, and still others want to touch F-15s right out of HS. Joining the military is a great way to establish future plans up to retirement, but enlisting to E-1 isn't the wisest.

No offense to my brothers who enlisted right out of HS - I did too.
nuff said. I started college, got almost two years in, got tired and then joined. I am currently an E1. I will be E2 in 3 months, I did not get advanced in bootcamp like I should have, if I were smart I would have waited and finished school. Screw what some say, I would rather be an officer any day and have people mumble under their breaths then to get dirty as **** in an engine room making way less.

With those scores(I had a 48, go figure, might be the reason im a grease monkey) you can do alot. Be a "twidget" (Navy term for the combat systems guys or "button pushers") live in nice quarters in your a school and stay on the topside of the ship. Our barracks are horrible, no A/C 6 shower heads for 40+ guys on a deck(just like bootcamp style). Twidgets have carpet, personal heads(bathroom), fridge, microwave etc.....

Check out all branches and see which one suits your needs. But think about school!

And do get me wrong, I love being a Snipe, but the other guys have it sooooo much better
Old 07-05-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Following advice from my uncle and cousin, both marines- they too said go to college first. I don't have any clue what i would major in. Probably just find something that interests me and go for it even if i don't have a career in mind. UPDATE- got my ACT back last week, i scored a 23- which i am not too happy about. I'll be a jr. when school starts this yr. and i know we do a ton of reviewing so i'll take it again and again until i get at least a 26, but i'm wanting a 27 or 28. I've got my eye on University of Illinois either way, medical or otherwise. I could also get a degree in Ag management (u of i is a huge ag school) and after i get out of the military i might have enough to put a down payment on some farm ground.
I'm just glad i'm getting an idea of what i want to do while i still have lots of time to change my mind. thanks for all the suggestions, too! they really open me up to new options
Old 07-05-2007, 04:20 PM
NKAWTG...N

Cocker,

U of I is a good time (thats where I am at). If your going planning on going to college then you really want to look into ROTC. Since your only going to be a junior you've got a while. I know AFROTC at U of I (Det 190) has a little weekend thing for graduating seniors. So look into that in a year or so when your gonna be a senior.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Stoleit.. what are you majoring in at U of I, are you in ROTC there?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't keep reading the whole thread but I see some information that might be misleading and hopefully I can clear this up for ya.

You took the AF ASVAB right? The highest score is a 99 right? Well 99's are scored all the time so don't think your 93 is spectacular. It's a great score and if I remember right you can probably do any job there is in the Air Force. I'm not going to find the link unless you really want me to, but it has the minimum scores you need for every career field. I scored like an 80 or something, and there were like 3 jobs I barely missed qualifying for.

Now the seizure thing will probably be a problem for you in the AF. I think if that happens again while you are in, I think you are pretty much done. I really don't know though to tell you the truth. I remember someone having one in basic and the guy standing next to me and a few others said he'd be done now. Like I said I really don't know and a recruiter would lie to ya about that so ask someone else who's in the AF.

20 credits gets you E-2 in the AF and 60 gets you E-3. This is what is was for me when I enlisted anyways.

Just remember, if you enlist in the military even at E-3. My paycheck is only 1534 a month and that's before taxes and everything else. My paycheck is usually 600-700 every two weeks. Dude it's not that much money, but if that part doesn't bother ya, well I'm not doing too bad. Sometimes the military can really suck though. It has a lot of ups and downs I guess. Lots of benefits, but who needs full medical coverage at 20 anyways. If you plan on 20 years of service...well I don't think there's anything better out there.

Oh i see you mentioned your act scores....kid let me tell ya from another kid's point of view. They don't mean jack unless the school you are trying to get into requires a 21, 22 or whatever. That's all you need to go to the best college here anyways. After that it means ABSOLUTELY nothing.

Almost forgot...don't forget about the guard and reserves. You get a hefty signing bonus and hey if you don't like the job you only have to do it one weekend a month.

GOOD LUCK with whatever u decide

Quick Reply: ASVAB/Future plans