Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is this enough to appeal an on base ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Is this enough to appeal an on base ticket

Well guys I wasn't wearing a seat belt...dumba$$ I know.

So the guy was walking up to my car to finally give me the ticket and as he was doing so. He runs down another car and tells the guy to put on his seatbelt and that was it. Yep, a verbal warning. I really don't want to go a week without driving so what do ya think?

I can't believe he gave me a ticket too. He's like, "i see you didn't have your seatbelt on before I pulled you over"...."ok, here's the insurance and registration and license and id card"...."ok, i'll be back in a minute"

I mean I didn't bitch or give him attitude or anything...I couldn't see myself doin that to someone if I was in there shoes. That's the exact conversation.....ok i'm done complaining. Well what do you think, can I appeal it?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant appeal that, lol. Wear your seatbelt next time.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Only way to get out of tht is to BS like maybe you were sticking your wallet back in your pocket. Why in the world would you not have your belt on. From what I have been briefed in the past is that if someones dies in the wreck and they were not using a belt then no money gets paid out.
There was a guy in my current sq that rolled his car and got ejected. Luckily his belt was on or they were going to make him pay his hospital bills.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
There was a guy in my current sq that rolled his car and got ejected. Luckily his belt was on or they were going to make him pay his hospital bills.
Thats BS.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

You only get a one week suspension?? Our wing commander hands out one month suspensions for not wearing seat belts.

You were wrong even if the other guy only got a verbal warning.

Re'
Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brad8266
Thats BS.
It is not, its called a Line of Duty determination, and can happen for a lot of things. If the Military finds that you were knowingly doing something you were not supposed to i.e. no seatbelt and got into a wreck, they can make you to pay for your own hospital bills, and if i am not mistaken it can also place you in forfeiture of your SGLI
Old 07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well one of my superiors, a Staff, said that he'd at least try it. I guess not...Unless for some reason I wasn't paying attention and someone hit me head on is the only way I could see myself getting hurt on base. The top speed limit is 35. I always wear it and I just happened not to have it on. Owell. Looks like I can't eat cuz i can't drive to the chow hall all the way across the base and I'll get fat by not being able to drive to the gym..... I'll just sit in my room eating oreo's all day
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

tough ****, I don't feel sorry... the other guy should have got a ticket too, wear your seat belt, it is a simple requirement to follow and is for your benefit
Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LrngCrv
tough ****, I don't feel sorry... the other guy should have got a ticket too, wear your seat belt, it is a simple requirement to follow and is for your benefit
Yea it is tough **** and no I didn't ask for you to feel sorry for me. Judas f*cking priest. I never said, oh look at the poor airman who got a ticket please help me. I simply asked can this be appealed under these conditions.

We should be able to do whatever we want. If you don't wear your seatbelt it should be your choice. If you crash and die, well that's your fault and you get no money. I don't care what you say. I'm sick of the military making decisions for me. I'm a grown F*CKING man and I should be able to do what I wish.

Last edited by allbaugh_04; 07-12-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
You cant appeal that, lol. Wear your seatbelt next time.
See this guy was to the point and I appreciated his response.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
We should be able to do whatever we want. If you don't wear your seatbelt it should be your choice. If you crash and die, well that's your fault and you get no money. I don't care what you say. I'm sick of the military making decisions for me. I'm a grown F*CKING man and I should be able to do what I wish.
That comment proves your not a grown man. Your not working at Wallmart, your in the millitary. I heard the same S**t from my son who joined the Marines. "Why are they always telling me what to do?" he askes. "They have so many rules, I can't stand it" Your in the millitary serving your country. If you honestly expected to be able to do what you wanted to and not be told what to do and how to act, your an idiot.

Re'
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
That comment proves your not a grown man. Your not working at Wallmart, your in the millitary. I heard the same S**t from my son who joined the Marines. "Why are they always telling me what to do?" he askes. "They have so many rules, I can't stand it" Your in the millitary serving your country. If you honestly expected to be able to do what you wanted to and not be told what to do and how to act, your an idiot.

Re'
Yea a simple comment proves I'm not a grown man. The military has made me less of a man. It shows me how to be a whole bunch of people's bitch.

Another military member who thinks he's the wisest person on this earth. Don't tell me what I am or am not
Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea it is tough **** and no I didn't ask for you to feel sorry for me. Judas f*cking priest. I never said, oh look at the poor airman who got a ticket please help me. I simply asked can this be appealed under these conditions.

It is an Executive Order to wear you seat belt while on a military installation. Same rule applies to passengers whether they are military or not. If they aren't then the drive is liable. Take the week suspension and let it go http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=40947

Judging by the below statement maybe the military isn't your cup of tea. Not wanting to be a dick but ask any of the guys on here that have been in a while about being told what to do.
I'm a grown F*CKING man and I should be able to do what I wish
Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
It is an Executive Order to wear you seat belt while on a military installation. Same rule applies to passengers whether they are military or not. If they aren't then the drive is liable. Take the week suspension and let it go http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=40947

Judging by the below statement maybe the military isn't your cup of tea. Not wanting to be a dick but ask any of the guys on here that have been in a while about being told what to do.
Well this is the most trouble I've been in yet. Yea not wearing a seatbelt. I think I'm doing just fine.

That's what the first shirt said too.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 AM
12 Second Club

You at Offutt? I was in the 38RS. You on the NE GMMM board?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guys I wasn't wearing a seat belt...dumba$$ I know.

So the guy was walking up to my car to finally give me the ticket and as he was doing so. He runs down another car and tells the guy to put on his seatbelt and that was it. Yep, a verbal warning. I really don't want to go a week without driving so what do ya think?

I can't believe he gave me a ticket too. He's like, "i see you didn't have your seatbelt on before I pulled you over"...."ok, here's the insurance and registration and license and id card"...."ok, i'll be back in a minute"

I mean I didn't bitch or give him attitude or anything...I couldn't see myself doin that to someone if I was in there shoes. That's the exact conversation.....ok i'm done complaining. Well what do you think, can I appeal it?
alright man check it out this is gonna start a heated discussion officer discretion man. either way seatbelt is not only a law but on a military installation its an order. your best betis to just wear your seatbelt. one week suspension that aint much man. people ive given tickets to on post here have seen mandatory classes, and 1 month suspensions, not to mention some that have lost rank man consider yourself lucky and wear your seatbelt at all times my friend. be safe
Old 07-13-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Regular

Oh hell man if you are on Offutt, then you will probably not want to put in the effort to appeal. I got a year suspended license there for doing what the cops said was donuts and racing/speeding in the dorm parking lot, trick was I was driving a honda at the time (read FWD) and doing donuts. The cops were going to let me off on lack of physical proom, no tire marks, no radar, no witness, and they were at the chow hall looking up three parking lots at the dorm lot i was in. But low and behold a flight cheif shows up and bam JAG gets a call, and on no info I recieved 1 year driving privledges revoked on base... Took 4 months of appeals to get my priveledges restored... Lots of time and work. You may just want to suck that one up
Old 07-13-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, ur pretty much screwed right there man. it really sucks that it happens, and that it happened just one of the few times u may have forgotten ur seatbelt, but the best thing to do is brush it off. it really sucks that a cop can just do that - yell at one person while giving another a ticket for the same thing.

i got screwed out of the Academy when a TSgt. inspected my room and failed me for having electrical appliances on (my receiver was on......as well as my fridge, alarm clock, etc.). at the time, anything electrical left on was an automatic failure, and if u got a room inspection failure, it was an automatic LOR from the shirt. and of course, the Academy doesnt want to admit Airmen with paperwork. after that, i slid down the paperwork trail - 2 LORs, 3 LOCs, 2 verbal counselings, 5 on-base tickets (not to include the 2 possible ones i culd've gotten for not having my updated insurance in my car and underage drinking and driving).

dont let it get ya down man... its just a piece of paper that says what u did lol (thats IF u even got the paperwork). dont know why people get so worked up over paperwork.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
You at Offutt? I was in the 38RS. You on the NE GMMM board?
No sir, not familiar with it and yes I am at Offutt.

Originally Posted by g-ryde1
alright man check it out this is gonna start a heated discussion officer discretion man. either way seatbelt is not only a law but on a military installation its an order. your best betis to just wear your seatbelt. one week suspension that aint much man. people ive given tickets to on post here have seen mandatory classes, and 1 month suspensions, not to mention some that have lost rank man consider yourself lucky and wear your seatbelt at all times my friend. be safe
Jeez really, lose rank? My first shirt said he gets like 3 tickets per week brought to him. That's quite a few for the size of our unit. He had a stack of em already on his desk.

Originally Posted by jasonk
Oh hell man if you are on Offutt, then you will probably not want to put in the effort to appeal. I got a year suspended license there for doing what the cops said was donuts and racing/speeding in the dorm parking lot, trick was I was driving a honda at the time (read FWD) and doing donuts. The cops were going to let me off on lack of physical proom, no tire marks, no radar, no witness, and they were at the chow hall looking up three parking lots at the dorm lot i was in. But low and behold a flight cheif shows up and bam JAG gets a call, and on no info I recieved 1 year driving privledges revoked on base... Took 4 months of appeals to get my priveledges restored... Lots of time and work. You may just want to suck that one up
Wow sounds like you really got screwed. Bored base cops = bad situation. I couldn't imagine going a year without being able to drive.

Last edited by allbaugh_04; 07-13-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasonk
It is not, its called a Line of Duty determination, and can happen for a lot of things. If the Military finds that you were knowingly doing something you were not supposed to i.e. no seatbelt and got into a wreck, they can make you to pay for your own hospital bills, and if i am not mistaken it can also place you in forfeiture of your SGLI
BS You barracks lawyers that hear one thing and take it as fact crack me up. If you are on active duty more than 30 days you receive all benifits no matter what, regardless of whether or not it was the soldiers own fault or not. That is the military policy. So if he is on active duty he loses nothing no matter if its his fault or not.

I. GENERAL OVERVIEW

1. Purpose: This guide is intended to assist you, as an investigating officer, in conducting a thorough formal line of duty investigation under the provisions of AR 600-8-1, dated 15 April 2004 (effective 15 MAY 04) , and completing a timely and legally sufficient report on DD Form 261. This guide addresses only the formal line of duty investigation and does not address presumptive line of duty determinations or informal line of duty investigations. The Army’s line of duty system starts from the premise that every Soldier who incurs an injury or disease while conducting himself or herself properly as a member of the Army is entitled to certain benefits. These benefits include pay and allowances, accrual of service and leave, and, in some cases, disability retirement. The Army uses the line of duty system to determine who is eligible to receive these benefits. A Soldier will receive these benefits only if it is determined that the disease, injury, or death was incurred "in the line of duty - not due to own misconduct." However, soldiers who are on active duty for a period of more than 30 days will not lose their entitlement to medical and dental care, even if their injury or disease is found to have occurred “not in the line of duty and/or because of the soldier’s intentional misconduct or willful negligence.” The determinations and related data are frequently made available to the Department of Veterans Affairs for consideration in determining the rights and benefits of individuals. This guide is intended to supplement, not replace, AR 600-8-4. The investigating officer should use this guide in conjunction with the regulation. If the guide conflicts with the regulation in any respect, the regulatory guidance controls.

Last edited by brad8266; 07-13-2007 at 03:24 PM.