Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone go indefinate before?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone go indefinate before?

Right now I am at RAF Mildenhall and I want to get back to Offutt AFB NE. I have a year and some change left. But I was thinking that I should go indefinate to improve my chances to get back to Offutt. Has anyone go indefinate to try to get to a base and get it? What are the chances of getting the base you want? After a long dicussion in the smoke pit every one seems to think that I will get it cuz no one wants to go to Offutt.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Right now I am at RAF Mildenhall and I want to get back to Offutt AFB NE. I have a year and some change left. But I was thinking that I should go indefinate to improve my chances to get back to Offutt. Has anyone go indefinate to try to get to a base and get it? What are the chances of getting the base you want? After a long dicussion in the smoke pit every one seems to think that I will get it cuz no one wants to go to Offutt.
You know as well as I do, that it depends if any slots open at Offut, it's just not about that "nobody" wants to go there. I think that many people get to a stateside base and Homestead there just cuz they don't want to move.

You best bet it to contact your AFSC's AFPC job manager that does the assignments and see if there are any projected openings that way you'll know ahead of time. Use your chain of command to get that person's name. It's probably an E-7 or above. Then change your assignment sheet to Offut only with no other location. I've seen indefinite's work both ways, you might get the slot quicker, but you might NEVER get the slot if nothing opens.

Why do you want to go there? I thought at the RC-135's just deploy to RAF Mildenhall anyway? Why just stay there?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

I was at Offutt for 8 years and I still have a house there. My wife even though made tech is getting out and wants to either go to Creighton or UNMC for a PharmD.
So if I can get back there it would be cool it aint that bad either plus I want to crew again instead of this MX team type stuff where nobody knows what going on because we never have a airplane to train type stuff. I get used and abused here because all I know is RC-135.
Yeah I have seen people stay indef forever and I have seen some get orders quick. It all hit or miss in the military. My last tdy to souda there was a func mgr there but for a different career field he was tdy. Anyways how he explained it is that you are basically screwed and they will stick you where they need you.
Luckily I have 2 options. Possibly Majors Field TX (gotta make tech first) or Edwards (BLAHHH) But its Speckled Trout. I rather go back to Offutt though.

Quick Reply: Anyone go indefinate before?