Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF guys what do you do and how do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AF guys what do you do and how do you like it?

I work supply here at Barksdale and just hate coming in to work every day. I'm going to look into crosstraining and see what's available. I would love to have a job where I have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I think I would like to crosstrain into comm and do something with computers or maybe weather because I've always been interested in that. I don't want to be a crew chief or do any kind of aircraft maintenance so don't bother telling me about those. Yeah so anyway like the title says what do you do?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you look into CE? They have tons of stuff to do ie: EOD, Firefighter, EA, Utilities, HVAC, Heavy Equipment, Electrician...

I'm utilities troop a.k.a. water boy.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

yeah brad come to CE man be an HVAC/R j/k man have ya did anything new to the car lately or are you still looking to get the new camaro
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

i think most jobs get old after a while. most people don't love their jobs but you definately don't want to hate what you do. i'm a 1N3 (linguist). i can think of other things i'd like to do but i don't dread going to work every day.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Fire Fighter..****** LOVE it.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

command post here (1c3x1).
airforce.com says this:
As a Command Post Apprentice, you’ll serve as one of our nation’s first lines of defense against attack. Positions are in Air Force operations centers that are located worldwide. If qualified, you can perform your command post position as an aircrew member. The standards of selection of a Command Post Apprentice are extremely high, since the effectiveness of the Air Force depends upon their capable and timely response to emergency situations.

In reality all you do is a little flight following, take a test every month to make sure you know your ea procedures, call the commanders and first shirts and let them know someone got hurt, injured, or get in trouble, and call them when something happens to a aircraft. Oh yea you also get to be online a lot and watch a lot of tv.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Another CE guy here. HVAC/R. Starting to look for something else also though. Getting to be too much of the same old thing everyday.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00silver6
yeah brad come to CE man be an HVAC/R j/k man have ya did anything new to the car lately or are you still looking to get the new camaro
I just put suspension on it when I got back from Iraq. Koni 4/4s, sams springs and bars. I still want that new camaro though.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bene
Have you look into CE? They have tons of stuff to do ie: EOD, Firefighter, EA, Utilities, HVAC, Heavy Equipment, Electrician...

I'm utilities troop a.k.a. water boy.

Hmmm, electrician seems like it would be pretty cool.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
command post here (1c3x1).
airforce.com says this:
As a Command Post Apprentice, you’ll serve as one of our nation’s first lines of defense against attack. Positions are in Air Force operations centers that are located worldwide. If qualified, you can perform your command post position as an aircrew member. The standards of selection of a Command Post Apprentice are extremely high, since the effectiveness of the Air Force depends upon their capable and timely response to emergency situations.

In reality all you do is a little flight following, take a test every month to make sure you know your ea procedures, call the commanders and first shirts and let them know someone got hurt, injured, or get in trouble, and call them when something happens to a aircraft. Oh yea you also get to be online a lot and watch a lot of tv.
Not to bash, but talk about fluffing up a crap job.

Boom operator, all the way. KC-10's especially.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Talking

Beale AFB U-2 Crew Chief! KC-10's are crap!!!! LOL J/K Going to Korea in Nov. If you aint a Blackcat you aint ****! All you Red Horse fools know what i am talking about LOL
Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADBANDIT
Beale AFB U-2 Crew Chief! KC-10's are crap!!!! LOL J/K Going to Korea in Nov. If you aint a Blackcat you aint ****! All you Red Horse fools know what i am talking about LOL
U2's are cool. We (KC-10's) deploy to the same place. Last time I was there I got a chase car ride. THAT was cool.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Not to bash, but talk about fluffing up a crap job.

Boom operator, all the way. KC-10's especially.
you mean easy job
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work Supply at Beale AFB for the U2's and it has it's pros and cons just like every single job so I can't really complain too much about it. However, I wouldn't mind cross training into X-ray Tech or something in the radiology field.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 AM

uh.....security forces

i basically got screwed into this one. my recruiter told me that with the score i got on my asvab, i'd get any job i wanted. well, i didn't want to be a cop, but here i am.

admitedly, there are some fun times, like working the gates when all the girls are coming back from the beach, but that's about it. i actually plan on crosstraining when i hit my 5 year mark, and if i can't, getting out and going to school
Old 07-17-2007, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

yeah I'm supply at pope (yes..No hope pope-but there is hope thanks to brac..lol),so I know how the supply world can be. I'm working supply for ce in Iraq right now.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Teching In

I'm Vehicle Maintenance (grease monkey) but I love my job, just hate most of the people. We have an easy shift and usually we aren't allowed to actually repair stuff, just replace the parts.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

ammo, not a bad job at all, tons of cool people but not the job for me, hoping to cross into tacp when my window comes up.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Retired Weather guy....I enjoyed it unti I worked my way up to staff work (HQ). I am getting ready to return to service (sort of). Going to work at Hickam AFB as a contract weather trainer for SAIC.

My son is a comm weenie (computers) at Yokota. If anyone has questions about weather, I can answer them.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
U2's are cool.
...and extremely noisy. The Chase cars are the cat's *** though.

Vehicle maintenance(GP mechanic). In Minot VM kinda sux if you don't like workin on Humvees all the time(i personally learned alot about them and enjoy workin on'em). Korea (osan specifically) Its really pretty cool, yeah you bust your *** at work and at PT (for sure) but lots of shop functions and cook-outs :cough: Keg party :cough: plus they have chase cars there...

Last edited by Rob M; 07-17-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: AF guys what do you do and how do you like it?