Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Got pulled over on base...yea my luck just changed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Got pulled over on base...yea my luck just changed.

He said I failed to yeild (cut him off, i have a buddy with me who says otherwise), didn't signal, (i did, i always do), exhibition of acceleration. Well I didn't exceed the speed limit, but i did break traction. Fresh dew on pavement, bald tires, 380 hp with posi trac...you do the math, and i can say i did go slightly sideways, truthfully. He said I almost went to jail for my little stunt. I guess the person being pulled over always sees it a different way, and boy I sure do. I guess I'll be losing my license for a while. This is my 2nd offense so it'll be 30 days right? Well...this kinda sucks. I think it was complete overreaction and I can't believe how big of a deal they made for me. I didn't even screech the tires or anything. I didn't cut him off, I could of waited of course, and I did signal...eh rant over...don't flame me too bad....
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bald tires?????

You do know that is very dangerous right?

Last time I drove on bald tires I almost lost control, wasn't thinking much about it but the centers were worn down....

Went out the next day and bought 2 new rear tires, decided I'd never do that again.

Funny thing of it was my then supervisor threatened to write me up if I wasn't willing to correct the situation, then after I got new tires he brags about how he "was so proud of me"....
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Teching In

I never do anything like that on base. I'd hate to have to walk to work from the gate. Especially in AK.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea my tires are nearly bald, especially in the middle, I even showed the cop. He was saying, "ur gonna give me some bs about some bald tires". I said look for yourself and I held out the keys and said, "take it for a drive and you'll see for yourself". I didn't have anyone convinced. He refused of course. I wanted to show him my new title, he didn't care. I said the car was still new to me. Nothing worked. He seriously acted like I had just committed sexual assault. Wow, I'm pretty down tonight...no more chow hall, I can at least run to the gym, that's only 1/2 mile away. There is no way I can appeal. I asked the cop, so I have a witness that says differently from what your cop says. He says, "I've worked for this guy for years and he wouldn't make this up." I don't care how long it was...this just wasn't right....in my opinion of course

gotta get to bed i'll respond in the mornin...i hope i can get to sleep
Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can talk to your shirt or commander about this crap, if you really think you have a case on your hand and not just justifying what you did. You have a witness and proof so I don't know. Worst thing can happen is you'll have to walk around base or someone will give you a ride around base. (You'll save gas?)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Launching!

i got hit for kinda the same thing. only it was by the sfs chief msgt during an ori with inspectors. it was raining and i was in my camaro at the time, well i left to go do something and took off normal drove off normal and they claimed i was driving like a wild man spinning my tires fishtailing and every thing. my commander came down gave me an *** chewing then asked if i wanted to explain myself which i told him what happend no lies, had people that were out there smoking that backed me up and i got an apology from him, and the chief that threw a fit. havent been pulled over on base since.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fight it bro..
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never take it in the *** with out a fight.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Make sure they can't charge you for having bald tires first. I got threatened with a ticket for that once.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcarse81
Make sure they can't charge you for having bald tires first. I got threatened with a ticket for that once.
Well what kind of punishment would that be...it might be worth it. I guess I'll tell the shirt what happened and see what he says. I'll have my buddy vouch for the failure to yield. That was bs. This is the 2nd citation I've had so far, so yea, isn't that a month now without driving? Or does it have to be the same violation for it to count? Cuz if this is another one week without driving..well I'll quit bitchin right now.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

As for the cut him off thing, you could have maybe been a little more courteous, is your blinker blown out by chance? Shouldnt be driving with bald tires anyway.

That sucks though that the guy was such a dick, id fight that one bro. No reason for a suspension for that, sounds retarded to me.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
As for the cut him off thing, you could have maybe been a little more courteous, is your blinker blown out by chance? Shouldnt be driving with bald tires anyway.

That sucks though that the guy was such a dick, id fight that one bro. No reason for a suspension for that, sounds retarded to me.
Not unless it burned out in the last two days. I can see it in the bumpers of other cars working when we are stopped at a light.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Ah, it's nice to see SPs vs Punks is alive and well!

21 years ago, I was a single airman living on base, and had a 79 Camaro (305, nothing big). My roomate had a nice 76 so we got along great. One day we were in the parking lot cleaning them up. We were at the back of the lot and took up a few spots each when this SP came over and gave us crap about not being parked "in the lines". We gave him a little crap back but moved them.

About a week later, I was leaving the BX in the rain and the tires broke loose briefly while turning the corner. My SP "friend" was on me like a fly on **** and wrote me a ticket for "excessive acceleration". Being the punk I was, I gave him some verbal crap. Later, I learned my roomate ALSO got a ticket by the SAME SP for loud exhaust.

I took it to the shirt that Monday, and listened to him "explain" to me that if I kept my big mouth shut, I could have got out of it, an A1C should not be giving crap to a SSgt, even if I was right, etc. I got 2 points on my record for that, but was still able to drive.

My roomate got off because his exhaust was factory and he didn't say anything to the cop. And he had a witness, our Flight Chief!

Anyho, I learned a lesson and was more careful. Yea, it sucked because I felt like a "target" to this one SP, but after a month or so, he left me alone.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mullet
Ah, it's nice to see SPs vs Punks is alive and well!

21 years ago, I was a single airman living on base, and had a 79 Camaro (305, nothing big). My roomate had a nice 76 so we got along great. One day we were in the parking lot cleaning them up. We were at the back of the lot and took up a few spots each when this SP came over and gave us crap about not being parked "in the lines". We gave him a little crap back but moved them.

About a week later, I was leaving the BX in the rain and the tires broke loose briefly while turning the corner. My SP "friend" was on me like a fly on **** and wrote me a ticket for "excessive acceleration". Being the punk I was, I gave him some verbal crap. Later, I learned my roomate ALSO got a ticket by the SAME SP for loud exhaust.

I took it to the shirt that Monday, and listened to him "explain" to me that if I kept my big mouth shut, I could have got out of it, an A1C should not be giving crap to a SSgt, even if I was right, etc. I got 2 points on my record for that, but was still able to drive.

My roomate got off because his exhaust was factory and he didn't say anything to the cop. And he had a witness, our Flight Chief!

Anyho, I learned a lesson and was more careful. Yea, it sucked because I felt like a "target" to this one SP, but after a month or so, he left me alone.
So any idea what could happen to me then? Are you talkin about your real record? Or is there a separate record for on base? You didn't get driving priviledges revoked at all? That's amazing...

I didn't give the cop a hard time at all. He asked if I knew what i did....i didn't hesitate and responded with, "no idea".
Old 09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

^^^He did say 21 years ago. Hell its a different world from 10 years ago, I can only imagine 21.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Teching In

I know there is a point system on all bases. I think if you get 6 points in a 12 month period, you walk for 6 months to one year. Speeding tickets were 2-3 points, depending on the speed. Parking tickets were 1 point, etc. I think each base is different, but not too sure.

A lot of it depends on what kind of dope deal your Shirt can do with the SPs.

No, it does not go on your civilian record, just your record at the base you are stationed at.

Yea, 21 years ago was a long time, but damn, it went quick!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JCurtin
^^^He did say 21 years ago. Hell its a different world from 10 years ago, I can only imagine 21.
Long post, i forgot by the time i got to the end, that it was that long ago. Well I'll just tell the shirt and see what he says. I'm sure he won't be too hapyy.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Well, here is a little insight from the "SP" side of things. Now take into account that this is just me reading your post and looking at it from a SP side, different SP's have different attitudes and different ways they handle different situations. This is just my side of it. Your ticket was for(correct me if I am wrong) failure to yeild, failure to signal, and exhibition of accelleration. LOOK INTO THIS!! EXHIBITION OF ACCELERATION ACTUALLY FALLS UNDER RACING!!! In AFI 31-204 you will find the traffic violations and definitions. Different bases are different as far as their supplements to the AFI but you should find, definitions, laws, points and rebuttal procedures in your local AFI 31-204. Look into this because depending on what is actually written on the ticket, that could be an easy 12 points(remember points vary base to base depending on violation), here is an example;
1. YEILD FROM STOP SIGN: The driver of a vehicle shall stop in obedience to a stop sign and shall yeild to vehicles on a roadway. Vehicles shall not enter the roadway in such a manner that an immediate hazzard is created for vehicles occupying the roadway. (3 points)
2. SIGNAL BEFORE TURNING: No person shall turn any vehicle without giving an appropriate signal by hand and arm or vehicle signaling device. (3 Points)
3. RACING: No person shall drive any vehicle in any race, speed competition, contest, drag race, acceleration contest, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record on the street. Neither shall a person in any way participate in any such race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition as a starter, timer, scorekeeper, etc. (6 points)

3 traffic tickets(parking included) within 3 months=3 month suspension
5 traffic tickets(parking included) within 6 months=6 month suspension
6 points assessed within 6 months=Warning letter/Commander action
12 points within 12 months= 1 year suspension
18 points within 18 months= 2 year suspension

SP could have also got you for unsafe motor vehicle operation based on your bald tires(2 points)

Here is what I have gathered from a AFI 31-204(not your local one, check in on that). Call the Law Enforcement desk and ask for the Reports and Analysis section and they will tell you your time frame for rebuttal and also your points for those violations based on your local AFI 31-204. It is(based on your base) around 3-7 days to rebut a ticket in writing, get with your shirt and give him or her a heads up on what has happened and let them help you. Once the rebuttal time period has ended, your points will be assessed and a suspension letter may be issued where you will loose your driving priviledges for the time period allotted. Only the issuing officer or the Security Forces commander has the authority to pull a ticket after it has been issued. Once you have your 1408 issued the officer will also write on his copy what your attitude was like when he made contact with you, that will go into play when you write your rebuttal, the SF commander will review both your rebuttal statement and the remarks that the officer wrote on the back of the 1408. If you were beligerent or a smart *@@, that rebuttal probably won't go through.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Excellent info Stout. Thank you for the straight scoop. Makes a lot of sense.

Allbuagh, if your ducks are not in a row, you just might be screwed. And the fact this is your second offense in 1 month, you might want to look for a bicycle because you just might need it.

Hey, I was young once, but looking back, I am surprised I turned out the way I did.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Why dont you go down to JAG or whatever the AF equivelant is and see what a lawyer has to say about it?

Quick Reply: Got pulled over on base...yea my luck just changed.