Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

air force questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air force questions...

ok im 23 and have a good paying job and just finished up at the local community college and am going to graduate to get my associates ( it ook a few years off after HS)...so i applied for the local PD and have been put through the run around for the past few years with them so it is getting quite frustreating, i am still in the process but it is taking forever and i feel like i am stuck in my job with no opportunity for advancement (im a valet) but like i said it pays good but im looking to grow up and get a career for myself...

i was talking to a buddy of mine that i work with who is in the air force reserves and is telling me how great it is etc etc...so now im thinking about joing the air force reserves and when i get through everything coming home and re applying for the PD and seeing how things go then....

any advice from the people who know better than I?

ps this is partly coming about because i feel i am getting old and want to do something...im kind of mad that it took me so long to make the police decission i wish i applied when i was 18 so i could be a "vet" by now....also if i did go into the reserves would it look better on my application for the PD or do they really just look at active duty?

also what jobs are there for reservists that will help me out in the police field im trying to eventually get into?

thanks guys
Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

i joined the af at 22 now am 23 and have no regrets i went active duty, but plan on palace chasing into the reserves and joining the pd back home. I have to wait until the 3 year mark however, to get the gi bill i paid for if you palace chase at the 2 year mark i loose it from what i understand. That is another thing to think about. I know i took the police test when i went home on leave and my score will go to the top of the next test since i am currently active duty. my job is command post so it has to do a lot with emergency management etc so it will transition good.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
i joined the af at 22 now am 23 and have no regrets i went active duty, but plan on palace chasing into the reserves and joining the pd back home. I have to wait until the 3 year mark however, to get the gi bill i paid for if you palace chase at the 2 year mark i loose it from what i understand. That is another thing to think about. I know i took the police test when i went home on leave and my score will go to the top of the next test since i am currently active duty. my job is command post so it has to do a lot with emergency management etc so it will transition good.
yea i think i want to just do reserves, what are the signing bonuses like and how is the pay in general for reservists? also what is a good job to look for if i want to transition into the PD? also can i still get the GI bill in the reserves?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Launching!

anyone else??? i dont wana make a decission like this with only the recruiters thoughts and opinions
Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know anything about the reserves really, but i've been active duty for a little over 6 years now. I love it and plan on doing 20 years. I started out my first 5 years as a maintainer on hh-60 helicopters then crosstrained into air traffic control.

I don't think there are many signing bonuses right now, the AF has been doing everything they can to pinch pennies for the past couple of years and bonuses were one of the first things to go for most jobs.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Im Active Duty Air National Guard and love it. I would do some research and find a job you think you're interested in. Look and see if they deploy and how often, see what there shifts are, then go for an interview and see if they'll let you do a walk around at the workplace to see if you're really interested. Talk to people. Ask a lot of questions! Dont get stuck in a job you'll hate. PM me if you wanna talk more.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mcarse81
Im Active Duty Air National Guard and love it. I would do some research and find a job you think you're interested in. Look and see if they deploy and how often, see what there shifts are, then go for an interview and see if they'll let you do a walk around at the workplace to see if you're really interested. Talk to people. Ask a lot of questions! Dont get stuck in a job you'll hate. PM me if you wanna talk more.
pm sent...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

I have a friend that i went into basic with and he is a full time reservist and he make 22.50 an hour plus he gets three day weekends so from what i see its real good and if u wann be an SP then its real easy to get into like a PD job after u get out.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO since you're already going to graduate with a bachelor's degree, why not continue going to school to attain a bachelor's degree and join the AF as an officer. Another route you could try checking out as well is Secret Service, checkout their website and read up on the different divisions they have. I'm currently active duty in the AF but if you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

Quick Reply: air force questions...