Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

switching branches

Old 11-25-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default switching branches

how hard is it to switch branches of service if you're already active duty? do you have to wait until your term has ended? im currently waiting to be shipped to basic for the USAF and think i made a mistake and want to go to the USMC. any advice would help. thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JHL88
how hard is it to switch branches of service if you're already active duty? do you have to wait until your term has ended? im currently waiting to be shipped to basic for the USAF and think i made a mistake and want to go to the USMC. any advice would help. thanks!
im not sure but it shouldnt be too hard to switch over because u havent left for basic yet. if u think u made a mistake get switched over to the marines. its ur life man make sure u make the right decision.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Default yup

you can switch right now, dont listen to your recruiter if he says you cant.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Default 1 more thing

dont wait
Old 11-25-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

up until youre at boot camp signing papers, youre a free man (so to speak...) goto the marine recruiter and tell him what going on.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your not really switching branches because you haven't actually joined yet other than signing up for delayed enlistment. If you are sure that this is what you want to do (USMC is a differerent universe compared to the USAF), do it now. Once you leave got basic I don't think it possible to go USAF to USMC.

Re'
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

ya talk to the Marine recruiter, he'll get you squared away. It will make him happy to make fun of the AF recruiter for not being able to keep a recruit. Good luck with whatever branch you choose though.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Umm, definitely do it NOW!! Do not wait any longer. Make sure it's what you want b/c it's a whole different ball game over here on the green side! Upside is, if you ever want to switch branches after the Corps, you don't have to go to that branchs' basic. But, going anywhere else first, and then coming over to this side, you must go to Marine Corps boot. But, like what was said before...you haven't left yet, so talk to your Marine recruiter and see what can be done!! Good luck!!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Like others have stated, you need to go now and talk to the Marine recruiter. Just curious, what were you going into the Air Force to do and what do you want to do in the Marines. Why the change? Im a Air Force SSgt with 8 years in so I was just curious. If you want to go in the Marines I think thats great, its all about what "YOU" want to do. One of my very good buddies is a Marine Sgt, one of the coolest, squared away military members that I know. Also, like others have said, the Mariens are WAY different then Air Force. I give them a lot of respect though. Personally I like the Air Force wouldn't to be in any other branch. Good luck to you though. Also, I have a good friend that is a recruiter that I can talk to to see if he has differnt things to say other then your recruiter. Let us know what he says. I dont like people getting screwed over.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first of all thanks everyone for your help. well story is im 19 now graduated from high school, about mid year i went to a marine recruiter and was so close to signing with them but i waited and told him i would think about it. next i went to the AF recruiter around late july this year, AND im STILL getting things squared away. (medical records; broken leg) but thats a whole diff. story. ive signed about 15 pages of paper work for the AF and will know when ill be shipped to basic this upcoming week. i really dont want to wait up to a year to be gone. as for what i want id like the pararescue, airpolice, or fire protection. in either or AF or marines. but now my dad said why dont i stick special ops in the air force so ya know... its like battle of the branches for me lol i have high respect for all branches of military and i dont think one branch is better than the other just different. my grandfather was a cheif master sargeant in the AF and my dad also an airman along with my uncle, my brother was a marine. so either way whatever i decide to do will be one or the other.

Last edited by JHL88; 11-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your homework. Google AF basic training/ tech school/deployments vs Marines basic training/their equivalent of tech school/deployments. Look into bonuses for the jobs you want in ie: Spec ops.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Launching!

yup, it depends on what you want? but deff. do it now! if your a family man, go af. if your a war dog, go marines. both great branches. just allot of differences.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Huge difference between the USAF and the USMC! Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Teching In

If i had to do it all over again (be 18 and be in really good shape), i would have joined AF Spec Ops. You can say whatever you want but they are the first in, ive been on a plane with navy seals and have had AF Combat Control marshall the plane in the middle of nowhere so the SEALS could get out.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea dude AF spec ops are pretty sweet. tough and talented guys they are too
Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

yeah, there aren't many Special Ops in the air force, the AF does a lot with other branches, bonuses were hitting six figures last i heard for current special ops in the AF to re up. or any branch. offcourse starting fresh you won't be getting six figures but something pretty decent. offcourse your overseas 300+ days out of 365 days a year.... its what you want. your 19 and i am sure you won't miss much family if you were older and had wife or kids it'll be different.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHL88
first of all thanks everyone for your help. well story is im 19 now graduated from high school, about mid year i went to a marine recruiter and was so close to signing with them but i waited and told him i would think about it. next i went to the AF recruiter around late july this year, AND im STILL getting things squared away. (medical records; broken leg) but thats a whole diff. story. ive signed about 15 pages of paper work for the AF and will know when ill be shipped to basic this upcoming week. i really dont want to wait up to a year to be gone. as for what i want id like the pararescue, airpolice, or fire protection. in either or AF or marines. but now my dad said why dont i stick special ops in the air force so ya know... its like battle of the branches for me lol i have high respect for all branches of military and i dont think one branch is better than the other just different. my grandfather was a cheif master sargeant in the AF and my dad also an airman along with my uncle, my brother was a marine. so either way whatever i decide to do will be one or the other.
If you allready have a Basic ship class date and all I doubt you will be able to get into Pararescue/Spec ops right now. Before you can do that (prior to joining) you have to take the PAST test, its not the hardest thing in the world but its not easy by any means. Once you pass that in front of your recruiter and his or her boss THEN they can sign you up for BMT and your class date depends on when they can get you into the next PJ or other spec school. You can also sign up and do something else to start but work out as much as you can all the time.

Best advise I can say is prepare mentally then become the best swimmer and runner you can be. I almost went PJ but things are changing for me, aka getting married.
I know lots of marines and people in all branches and respect them all but would go PJ over any other job. Might also look into TACP.

Either way the SF/Spec Op life is one of being deployed and away from the family 99% of the year, pretty much all the guys I knew that did ir or are doing it are not married with no kids, once that changed for them they got out.
Good luck to ya man, just do your homework before you sign.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

you mentioned fire protection...I can tell you personally that this is one of the best career fields to get into for sure. Geting into AF special ops will be hard as hell, they are a very small unit. You better be pretty fit or you will not make ****...Ive had two buddies try to get into stuff like that. One pararescue...didnt make it and the other combat controller...hes still in training but the few times I got to talk to him he was like....this **** is no joke.

I just retrained to fire protection. I love it! If its something your interested in I'd look into it for sure. Its mainly AF that does fire protection but the Mariens, Army and even a little Navy have it as well. The academy is with everyone, all branches even a few civillians.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Great advice above. I congratulate you and respect you greatly for making the decision to serve your country, esp. during time of war.

Regardless of branch of service, do your best in ALL ENDEAVORS (no matter who's looking) and you'll go far. Understand that you are ALWAYS building a reputation evreywhere you go. That reputation (or impression as others see you) can even preclude rank. Learn from everyone you meet- superiors, peers, etc. whether good or bad, see what you want to imitate and what you want to avoid. If you take those things into consideration, you will undoubtedly experience a fruitful career.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

I am a AF SSgt in Spec Ops, Im not a commando or anything, but the life style is alot better than the fighter world I was used too. AF spec ops program is top notch, just have a back up plan if you don't make it, I doubt you wanna be a cop or crew chief.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: switching branches