Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

Ok.. I have an assignment to Germany. Now question is will I be able to drive my car (01 Ta with h/c/lt's/elec cutout/etc) over there with no problems? I just found out today about the selection so I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone about it. I'm wondering will I have to take my lt's off or change my exhaust (stock catback minus cats) or what? Any advice or input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chieftransam
Ok.. I have an assignment to Germany. Now question is will I be able to drive my car (01 Ta with h/c/lt's/elec cutout/etc) over there with no problems? I just found out today about the selection so I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone about it. I'm wondering will I have to take my lt's off or change my exhaust (stock catback minus cats) or what? Any advice or input would be appreciated! Thanks.
To take it over no. Germany doesn't have an e test. All though some countries in Europe have noise laws. Germany doesn't. To bring it back maybe it depends on who inspects your car in Germany. Some of the guys will fail you and if it does get past in Germany if the customs guy here gets curious then he could find it and report you and then it could cost you. The last time I checked into it the fine was $10,000 for removing the cats. I will say that US engines don't like being held at high RPM's for a long time on the autobahn. I had a lot of friends spit engine parts out after an hour or two of spinning them to keep up with some euro cars. A couple of Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs. Germany is a blast though have fun.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i just got back from germany a little less that 2yrs ago(spangdahlem). you should be fine with your longtubes and cutout, as long as you dont open up the cutout in residential areas, they have laws about noise control, your not even suppose to honk your horn actually. but the no cats thing.....you might want to get some. because they do onbase inspection so you can get your sticker for your car/registration. and my buddy had his tt Rx7 without cats, and they kept failing him and giving him 30days to fix it before he could get re inspected. so i would get the cats for it and call it good
Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

well I will have to check into the cats thing. I guess I will have to look into a different setup. I currently have the y pipe and stock catback. What would be a good setup to also have cats?

Undertow74, you said you were at Spangdahlem.. well thats where I'm going. My co-worker and I both found out today that we were both going there. Its kind of weird but were excited to leave Pope.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

I just got back from Spangdahlem. I had a hard time passing inspection....they said it was to loud. I had to pack the exhaust pipes full rags a block before I got to the inspection building. haha
Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

2006vette, did you have cats on your car? I'm running hooker lt's and a catless y pipe. I've got a h/c setup and the cam has a good lope (112lsa) so I'm certain they will hear it through the stock catback. How are the inspections done? Will I have to worry about yearly inspections/registrations? I just want to get my car to pass asap before May rolls around.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chieftransam
2006vette, did you have cats on your car? I'm running hooker lt's and a catless y pipe. I've got a h/c setup and the cam has a good lope (112lsa) so I'm certain they will hear it through the stock catback. How are the inspections done? Will I have to worry about yearly inspections/registrations? I just want to get my car to pass asap before May rolls around.
if there is a will there is a way... that goes for any base/area. There is always a way around a real inspection, all inspectors have their price... just got to ask around.

-justin
Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Launching!

They may not have emissions in Germany, but they do look at the exhaust when they inspect the car, and you need cats. They might fail you for no cats, they might not. I'd put some cats on to be safe.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

You could just do what my friends and I did in Japan. Every base should have an auto hobby shop, it may be called something else depending on branch. Any ways we would rent out a storage locker at the hobby shop and store stock parts there for when inspection time rolled around. Granted this was in Japan and I have no clue if they offer storage at the base you are going to.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Teching In

I dont know what base you are going to but they just changed the law here at Ramstein, or anyone who is stationed around here. A cut-out is illegal here. They see it as an exhaust leak. I forget his screen name but its "boa" something, he just got thru all the inspection crap so he can help you out. But it depends on where you go in germany. Also they do have noise restrictions, my buddy had heads/cam/LTs/ and a SLP loudmouth and failed horribly. It would help to know where in Germany you will be going and i can help you ot some more.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Hey, my buddies screen name on here is BOA279, send him a PM. He can send you a link to all the inspection laws and all that. He just got done registering his 98 Z28
Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to Spangdahlem Germany. I will send him a pm and get the scoop. I'm going to have to change my whole setup then. How could I get it to pass? I would have to take the y pipe off and the cutout and what else? Then change it to what kind of setup to have cats? Help me out....
Old 11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Ill see if he (boa279) has helped you yet, if not, ill try to get the rules/regs from spangdahlem since its only about an hr away, give me a day or 2, i work all weekend
Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Yeah he's hooked me up with some info. What base are you at?

Quick Reply: Need help