Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF Officers, Some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USAF Officers, Some advice needed

I'll refrain from any jokes being an Army branded Officer, however I welcome your assistance. I have a young employee that I hired on whom is looking at doing ROTC once he transfers into a state school. From what we covered he's just starting college after running a family business flipping properties for about 4 years, putting him somewhere in the 22-23 years old range.

We spoke about military opportunities and from interviewing with him, the kid is zero`d in when it comes to technology. I know when I was in, the USAF had many technical MOSes along with golf courses . He's looking to get into Telecommunications / Network / Data and will pursue a degree in said studies.

What say you fellow officers? What type of MOS branches are available to Officers on your side of the fence?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
NKAWTG...N

He would want to go COMM in the USAF. Shouldn't be a hard AFSC for him to snag either. Just make sure he picks a school with an AFROTC, surprisingly people interested in going the officer route don't think that far ahead to even find out if the school of their choice has an ROTC of their desired service.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cyber warfare and defense is a hot topic right now in the AF. I graduate tomorrow from AFIT with an aeronautical engineering Master's degree, but I was able to take a cyber warfare class in the process, and I think that area would be right up his alley. I'm not sure on the status of everything, but when I was in the class, they were getting ready to set up a new series of AFSCs to handle the demand for a cyber warfare capability.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input Gents.

I'm taking him out to lunch near the end of the week to discuss pros and cons and give him my experiences. Roger on the graduation, are you already commissioned?

Also:

Are you placed or given a choice regarding branch/MOS? I don't think deployment will be a large issue, he talks like he's bullet proof
I would rather have him get information from people who are in, and serving.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by cast iron
Thanks for the input Gents.

I'm taking him out to lunch near the end of the week to discuss pros and cons and give him my experiences. Roger on the graduation, are you already commissioned?

Also:

Are you placed or given a choice regarding branch/MOS? I don't think deployment will be a large issue, he talks like he's bullet proof
I would rather have him get information from people who are in, and serving.

Thanks
Yes on the commissioning...I'm currently a Captain.

As for placement, it depends on your undergrad degree. Engineers will usually be placed in an Acquisitions coded career field (62XXX), or somewhere around in there, and so on. As with anything in the military, it depends on the needs of the Air Force. If he gets a Comp Sci or computer engineering degree, he'll most likely be shoveled into something where that will be useful (the cyber warfare AFSC if it has been established at that point). Last I checked, the Air Force is hurting for people that are good with computers and understand the ins and outs of networks, so it isn't like he'd be forced to be a cop or anything.

As for deploying...I've never been to the sandbox, but I've always been eligible. They don't tend to pick on engineers as much, especially if you don't do aircraft battle damage repair, and I don't. There's always that possibility, however, and you can always volunteer if you are so inclined. The next president should make that a whole lot more interesting since it is a hot topic with the average voter.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw an AF comercial on Cyber Warfare, looked really cool honestly, a techie guy would love it I bet.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Just saw an AF comercial on Cyber Warfare, looked really cool honestly, a techie guy would love it I bet.
Don't believe the commercials, as what you see is a studio built setup. The reality is these guys probably sit in a small trailer somewhere in the middle of no where. Very rarely are the places we work half as high tech as what the commercials make them out to be.

Of coarse if you started to believe in the commercials, you would also think that almost all of the Air Force are F-16 and F-22 fighter pilots

If the Air Force showed it how it really is (working in broken down old buildings that leak and should have been replaced years ago, working actually 3-4 different actual jobs besides the primary one you signed up for because of the constant downsizing "doing more with less"), then I have a feeling we would have a lot less people geared up to come in.

Not dissing the job, I'm just saying the atmosphere of it all is very far off from reality.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CALL911
Don't believe the commercials, as what you see is a studio built setup. The reality is these guys probably sit in a small trailer somewhere in the middle of no where. Very rarely are the places we work half as high tech as what the commercials make them out to be.

Of coarse if you started to believe in the commercials, you would also think that almost all of the Air Force are F-16 and F-22 fighter pilots

If the Air Force showed it how it really is (working in broken down old buildings that leak and should have been replaced years ago, working actually 3-4 different actual jobs besides the primary one you signed up for because of the constant downsizing "doing more with less"), then I have a feeling we would have a lot less people geared up to come in.

Not dissing the job, I'm just saying the atmosphere of it all is very far off from reality.
I think IT is generally heading in that direction. We spoke at dinner and he sounded like a worker -- so what you mentioned will be right up his alley.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was just talking about the job itself, not the fact that it looked like they were in a conrad hilton and not a shack
Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Just because you haven't seen nice facilities doesn't mean they don't exist...the general public and most of the AF personnel out there don't have access to some of our nicest stuff.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Just because you haven't seen nice facilities doesn't mean they don't exist...the general public and most of the AF personnel out there don't have access to some of our nicest stuff.
I have seen more bases, including several high end AF headquarters buildings and facilities both stateside and overseas. There are some nice ones out there, but the majority, especially were most of the enlisted guys and gals work are anything but "top notch".
Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

why does he want to get out of real estate? Its a great way to make $$

what is your location?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by aggiez28
why does he want to get out of real estate? Its a great way to make $$

what is your location?
Our company is international.

He's not a $$ person, he's the type of kid that fills in for MacGyver. I think he's interested in learning some leadership and wants the "college life" before he commits to a serious career. He's only 22, god that makes me feel ancient.

Quick Reply: USAF Officers, Some advice needed