Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Branches, MOS, & Recruiter ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Branches, MOS, & Recruiter ?'s

Well, I made a thread about this last year but I sorta put it off as I was trying to focus on my civilian career. I have always had a huge desire to serve from growing up in a military household (Grandfather was a Full Bird USAF). I have civilian certs as an EMT/Firefighter/In school paramedic so I have been in the paramilitary setting for a while now. Recently, my friend and I have been talking about it more and more and we are ready to talk with recruiters. Now this is not my first time with a recruiter so I know the basics of what its like (I've spoken with the same one 3x).

My MOS would be Avation Support because Crash Fire Rescue falls under that. I have the detailed flow chart of how the training works but my real question is ...CAN ANYONE GUARANTEE ME THAT SPECIFIC JOB IN MY MOS? (meaning can the AF, Navy or Army guarantee me that job because MC cant)? Included in the MOS of avation are a whole buncha things that I would not be interested in but, is there any way I would not get stuck with one of those. Example: Retired Marine I know (SGT) went in at 18 to be an ATC and wound up being a meteorologist !!!!!

I know recruiters paint you a picture and then dont deliver but seeing as how I have civilian training as a Firefighter, would I be in line over joe blow who just got outa basic to get a job or what? I was told that I would not be guaranteed a job as a CFR FF but when the openings happen, I could apply. I dont wanna be stuck out in the cold with my thumb in my *** doing supply while I want to do CFR.

Is there a branch that will absolutly guarantee me this job in the MOS or is that just impossible no matter what branch?

Sorry for such a huge post, but this is a pretty important topic seeing as how I have a potential great job in the civilian world. Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I personally havent heard of an Army MOS that fits that description. Can you be more specific to what you are looking to do? The Army has firefighters but I have never seen one, we mostly have civilian firefighters on post.

We have medics that fit that part of the bill...

Crash?

I dont know if you will find a MOS in the Army that combines all of those jobs. Closest I can think of is a flight medic but then you wont have the firefighting part...

Maybe somone in the aviation field can chime in that has more knowledge in that area as far as responders, I am just a scout.

Basically I know that if we see a dangerous incident . fire, car accident, ect. you respond to render aid/rescue no matter what your MOS is. I am pretty sure that its the same for all the branches...

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew a guy that did aircraft crash recovery in the ARMY. He went in and picked up downed air crews in combat. Kinda like Pararescue in the Air Force but I don't think there is a MOS for it, I think it may have been apart of an Air Assault unit.

He got a medical out as far as I know (got shot up). Something you are looking at might be closer to figherfighter. I am pretty sure in the AF you get in in writing but could be wrong.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:48 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a AF firefighter. I came in guaranteed firefighter. The AFSC is 3E7X1
Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My96z
I personally havent heard of an Army MOS that fits that description. Can you be more specific to what you are looking to do? The Army has firefighters but I have never seen one, we mostly have civilian firefighters on post.

We have medics that fit that part of the bill...

Crash?

I dont know if you will find a MOS in the Army that combines all of those jobs. Closest I can think of is a flight medic but then you wont have the firefighting part...

Maybe somone in the aviation field can chime in that has more knowledge in that area as far as responders, I am just a scout.

Basically I know that if we see a dangerous incident . fire, car accident, ect. you respond to render aid/rescue no matter what your MOS is. I am pretty sure that its the same for all the branches...

Good luck.
Ya, its just called Crash Fire Rescue, it has nothing to do with medical training at all, only firefighting. Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
I am a AF firefighter. I came in guaranteed firefighter. The AFSC is 3E7X1

Excellent, thank you for the info and I will get back to you after I speak with the recruiter on Monday. So, you didnt have to wait until that specific job opened, you were already set once you signed your papers?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Teching In

If its firefighter you want then yes, the Army guarantees MOS as well. I Navy may as well.

AF has a good firefighter program, when I was in Saudi all they did was play volleyball

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit102
Ya, its just called Crash Fire Rescue, it has nothing to do with medical training at all, only firefighting. Thanks for the info

Excellent, thank you for the info and I will get back to you after I speak with the recruiter on Monday. So, you didnt have to wait until that specific job opened, you were already set once you signed your papers?
I had to wait six months in the Delayed Entry Program until the slot opened. If you want to give me a call after you talk to the recruiter, shoot me a PM

Quick Reply: Branches, MOS, & Recruiter ?'s