Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Please help me- new guy interested in the military

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me- new guy interested in the military

More specifically the Coast Guard. I want to know what to watch out for/ what questions I should ask when I go to the recruiter's office. Maybe some of you can tell me about your experiences whether they were good or bad. thanks a lot guys.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

ask about the GI Bill increase, sign up bonuses, and have them show you some videos on different jobs,(MOS's), that might interest you. if possible or if you live near a coast Gaurd unit i'd ask to speak with some of the newer enlisted and see how their experience turned out and they could probably give you some tips on basic training and other stuff.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:22 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, what he said.

Plus, never take a recruiter's word on what jobs are available. They may or may not tell you what all is available based on numbers they need to meet. In fact I recommend going to the coast guard (or whatever branch you want) website and browse the jobs there. Take some time, look deep and hard.

Had I not done that I would never have found my mos, and even then I had to get up and walk out once before they agreed to check into it. For better or for worse, here I am. As far as my job goes, I seriously truly enjoy it. It's the burecracy that gets to me...and excrement bags who are incompetent at their job.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone knows that the Coast Guard isn't military. More like traffic cops. Just kidding. Take the advice posted by those above. Pick a field that you're into or would like to learn the job skill of and shoot for that. You can be the guy who boards vessels looking for drugs, or the guy who is a technician with a trade skill that gets you paid when you get out. Don't let the detailer sell you on a job that you don't want. They're like used car salesman and are there to put bodies into job positions that need to be filled.

I got a kid into the Navy as an underwater welder. He was a pot smoking slacker with no direction, but an accomplished swimmer with the love of the ocean. Now he's out of the Navy making over 80k/year in the Mississippi Gulf area. With no degree!

Good luck, and congrats on the choice!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up until 2002, CG was DOT, yes, Department of Transportation. Currently it falls under Homeland Security. The Jobs are not MOS's,they're 'ratings'. Why CG instead of Navy?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

what they said CG is not military, go Marine or just go home. if your scared go to church!
Old 06-13-2008, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
what they said CG is not military, go Marine or just go home. if your scared go to church!
Does this really sound intelligent?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
Does this really sound intelligent?
+1...
Old 06-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been talking to a few people and the Army seems like a better fit for me so I'm going to that office first. And after looking at their website, I'm most interested in a firefighter or MP job in the army. Anyone here done either of these?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM

How much did your specific job you chose help you when you got out?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

coast guard is no longer the military...they are homeland security now. they dont get the same benefits anymore so be very specific on what your asking them. dont let the recruiters give you any generalized answers. they are out to screw you and make their monthly bonuses just remember that. but on a brighter side they reall do have some kickass jobs. personally i would love to be a medic or rescue diver for them, but im already an air force medic.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

firefighting is badass...but MP is ehhh well you will see the desert a lot...
Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

if you go the MP route then you'll pretty much be an infantryman with a badge in the desert. you will probably have a difficult time finding a job as a cop in the civilian sector because they don't like to hire former MP's because it's a different kind of law in the military. i've known a few MP's and that's what they've always claimed. the fire fighting gig would be different though, you wouldn't have to worry about finding a job once you're done with the military because they'll probably be more than happy to hire you. the air force actually has a better set up for fire men than the army does so if you get set on that route then you might want to look them up.

look dude, there's a shitload of jobs you can chose from, and a lot of these jobs will lead to a good paying job in the civilian world. your best bet is to go down the whole list and find something that not only pays well when you find the civilian conterpart, but is something that you will enjoy doing. if you end up in a job that you realize you really don't like, then your time in the service is going to suck. being a soldier is enough of a job to deal with.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:46 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
Very successful example of Marine Corps recruiting right there...

Anyway, pretty much everyone above hit the nail on the head. USCG isn't a bad life, before 9-11 you guys were getting more action than most of the other services (counter-drug).
Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
coast guard is no longer the military...they are homeland security now.
We've estabilished this. Another thing, recruiters DON'T GET MONTHLY BONUSES. They get their asses chewed if they don't make their 'goals' or 'quotas' or 'numbers', but no extra pay for each person they sign up.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you are wanting to go active i don't think they offer Fire Fighter to active duty soldiers any more i could be wrong but when i came in they were only offering it as a reserve job. I love the army as a whole I am in a combat mos so we get to do all the cool **** over, kicking in doors raids all that ****. From what i have seen and heard the Army is pretty much the easiest to make rank in but the Airforce seems like the most layed back group.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:13 AM

More info on this combat mos please. One of the reasons I'm joining is to help out in Iraq, so I wanted to make sure I served there.

I've thoroughly looked through the jobs and I can't seem to find 1 specific job that I really want to do. Is there anything you can recommend to me that 1)guarantees I go to Iraq, 2)I would look forward to doing everyday, 3)has me in for <6 yrs, 4)is very fun/exciting.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Navy still offers firefighter (Damage Control), but you're talking direct combat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to serve your country. Are you FULLY aware of what goes on over there? Have you taken the ASVAB? Are you a high-school graduate or will you be graduating soon? Have you had any involvements with the police at all? What is your drug usage history? Are you missing any body parts or do you have extras? What kind of surgeries or allergies do you have? These are a FEW of the questions you should be asked by ANY of the services recruiter.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 AM

I have a good idea of what goes on over there, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes so I'm sure it's not the same. I took the ASVAB a few months ago and scored a 94, graduated highschool last year, no police record, I'm pretty much normal with nothing stopping me from joining the military. I started training a few weeks ago to get better prepared for boot camp. So I'm basically ready to go, I just can't figure out what I should do in the Army.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Alright, this is in no way saying the Army is dumb, but you're wasting your potential there! with a 94, you could be a nuclear engineer, a cryptological tech, or even interpreter. To serve your country is an admirable ideal, yet it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be on the front-lines. I understand we have a need for people to do just that and respect what each one accomplishes. You've got ALOT of options.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Please help me- new guy interested in the military