Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

What yall think about JAGS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What yall think about JAGS?

Hey fellas. Was thinking about becoming a JAG officer after i graduate law school in december. Always wanted to be in the marines. My buddy who is in the army says that most members of the armed forces don't have a lot of respect for jag officers, and feel that they aren't "real" solders. Is this true?
Thanks.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I despise military lawyers because they falsely have charged soldiers due to political pressure alone.

My advice is dont do it, stay a civilian lawyer.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Hey if thats what you want to do, the armed forces would love to have you. We need good lawyers just as much as civilians. I assure you, if you are interested in being a jag officer for the Marines, you WILL become a Marine, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I don't think brad8266 understands the difference between a lawyer and a prosecutor.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GIJosh
Hey if thats what you want to do, the armed forces would love to have you. We need good lawyers just as much as civilians. I assure you, if you are interested in being a jag officer for the Marines, you WILL become a Marine, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I don't think brad8266 understands the difference between a lawyer and a prosecutor.
So there is not a stigma amoung the armed forces concerning this?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GIJosh
I don't think brad8266 understands the difference between a lawyer and a prosecutor.
No I dont know the difference at all.

Prosecutors are lawyers. You can be assigned as either a prosecutor or a defense lawyer or a variety of other duties.

Last edited by brad8266; 07-06-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by landonew
So there is not a stigma amoung the armed forces concerning this?
If you wear the uniform then you are a serviceman period. There are so many stigmas in every job in the military so its nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited by brad8266; 07-06-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

I would stay civilian if I were you... but im not you, so if you want to be a military lawyer, there isnt really a bigger stigma than if you were a civilian lawyer. I would just imagine you could make a lot more money and be happier in the civilian world. No worries about going places you don't want to go or anything like that
Old 07-06-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good experiences with JAG's, like everything, there are good & bad ones.

If you are looking for a chance to serve your country and possibly pay off your school loan, a couple years in the military is a good way to get on your feet before hitting the "real world".

Just for general reference, JAG's are usually an instrument/adviser to the chain of command. If you've had trouble with a JAG, you first had trouble with your chain of command.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:15 PM
FOG
Teching In

Land,

The Marine JAGs are the only ones that are unrestricted line officers. The other services have a lot of restricted officers above the WO/CWO level.

You can go through OCS/OCC and decide if you want to accept the commission if you make it through. TBS and IOC (if you want to attend) are tougher still. None of which is like the FMF.

One of the down sides to being a JAG even in the Marine Corps is there are few opportunities for leadership. A few have had detachments suited to any officer as Maj.s but were actually suited to 1stLt.s and Capt.s. The only “command time” I am aware of is staff HQs that are listed as Bn.s and Sqdns but are actually more the size of a Plt. (+).

One thing I am certain of is that quite a few people change once they get into training and/or into the FMF. Officers who have air contracts give them up to be grunts, guys who thought it would be great to be a grunt want to get out as soon as possible and shoot adjutant or admin, etc.

Talk to your local OSO (Officer Selection Officer) about OCS/OCC. If you qualify and are accepted to attend give it a shot.

S/F, FOG
Old 07-11-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FOG
Land,

The Marine JAGs are the only ones that are unrestricted line officers. The other services have a lot of restricted officers above the WO/CWO level.

You can go through OCS/OCC and decide if you want to accept the commission if you make it through. TBS and IOC (if you want to attend) are tougher still. None of which is like the FMF.

One of the down sides to being a JAG even in the Marine Corps is there are few opportunities for leadership. A few have had detachments suited to any officer as Maj.s but were actually suited to 1stLt.s and Capt.s. The only “command time” I am aware of is staff HQs that are listed as Bn.s and Sqdns but are actually more the size of a Plt. (+).

One thing I am certain of is that quite a few people change once they get into training and/or into the FMF. Officers who have air contracts give them up to be grunts, guys who thought it would be great to be a grunt want to get out as soon as possible and shoot adjutant or admin, etc.

Talk to your local OSO (Officer Selection Officer) about OCS/OCC. If you qualify and are accepted to attend give it a shot.

S/F, FOG
Thanks for the advice. I may consider it after I assess my other opportunities.

Quick Reply: What yall think about JAGS?