Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Car Dealers ripping off young Marines

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Dealers ripping off young Marines

Went to the camp pendleton Auto Skills Center to tinker with some stuff, and met a couple devil dogs with F-bodys who had got into some bad situations with cars they bought. The first, a guy but a 01 WS6 for 11k with a salvage title from some dealer. The worst part is he said it pulled to the left and he didnt have a frame shop inspect it or anything, just bought it a few days ago. His loan is probably going to get denied when they find out its a salvage title. The other guy had bought a third gen z28 from a dealer in OCEANSIDE with no vins on it. None. The registration paperwork said it was a 73 camaro. Obviously when he went to get it inspected they denied him. So now he has a car that is probably stolen with bad plates and registration, and a blown motor. Just remember to talk to your young troops about the dangers of dealing with these small dealers, and make sure they run any stupid ideas they get about buying **** through you or their NCO's. I was pissed that someone had let them do that stupid ****.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lesson learned. Some of these young jarheads are jumping too early or having a"stupid attack" to what seems to be a good deal from these mf's. I've been there before and done that. It's best they get it squared away asap.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that the car dealers are innocent, but these kids should look before they leap. Anyone with half a brain can see these things coming a mile away and avoid them.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Being one of the few officers that likes fast american cars, I'll definatley help out any young Marines in my squadron who want to get a used car.

Too bad it'll be over a year until I get to a fleet squadron.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate it when crap like that happens. When I was active duty, I told all of my young Marines (married or single) that when ever they were getting ready to make a purchase more than $500, to come see me or one of my other SNCOs or NCOs first. We'd make sure they were getting a straight deal or at least had a legal way out.

What ever happened to making sure they attended Personal Financial Management Classes? I know for a fact that MCCS sponsors them (I'm a Budget Officer for HQMC, MCCS). Making major purchases is covered in the classes.

I hope it works out for them.

Marc
GySgt
USMC (ret.)
Old 07-19-2008, 09:59 PM
NKAWTG...N

I really don't think this is just a military problem. I think a car dealer will try to screw over any buyer that doesn't really know what is going on. Marine or not, military or not, young or not, anyone can jacked over by these people.

and +2 on what Lt Malice said. Not sure how much interaction we will have with junior enlisted though.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

I just wish that these guys were mine so I could have prevented this bullshit. Really pisses me off to see these kids get taken advantage of.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

This isnt a military problem, its a problem everywhere.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad8266
This isnt a military problem, its a problem everywhere.
yea thats true that it is a problem everywhere. just makes it worse when it happens to junior enlisted members that dont make very much money.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Young kids don't realize what they are doing now or ever... You can tell them they need to see a NCO or SNCO all you want but when it comes down to it they don't have to. It's just sad that young people do this mainly because they are stuck in substandard living conditions and want a way out to go do stuff. If "Junior Marines" were just treated like people and had interaction with there higher ranking counter parts they are more likely to ask or seek help or guidance. You would always ask a friend over a "NCO or SNCO" when it comes to anything personal or not.

They may be in the military 24 hrs. a day technically, but you are a person first.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Young kids don't realize what they are doing now or ever... You can tell them they need to see a NCO or SNCO all you want but when it comes down to it they don't have to. It's just sad that young people do this mainly because they are stuck in substandard living conditions and want a way out to go do stuff. If "Junior Marines" were just treated like people and had interaction with there higher ranking counter parts they are more likely to ask or seek help or guidance. You would always ask a friend over a "NCO or SNCO" when it comes to anything personal or not.

They may be in the military 24 hrs. a day technically, but you are a person first.
Any NCO worth a **** counsels his Marines, and should catch stuff like this. And non-NCO's should be treated like men. But because you are a man doesnt mean you have experience. The majority of them are young and not stupid, just dont know any better.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by primer84z
Any NCO worth a **** counsels his Marines, and should catch stuff like this. And non-NCO's should be treated like men. But because you are a man doesnt mean you have experience. The majority of them are young and not stupid, just dont know any better.
You can counsel them everyday of the week. If they are going to buy it then what are you going to do. I have helped out alot of junior guys by just inviting them to hang out and being friends, gets them out and away and will go better than any useless counseling. They will still ask a friend before any "NCO".
Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

you can have that bro, I aint hanging out with them. Hard to keep a professional relationship with them when your slamming beers on the weekend with them.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Not true, You get your one guy who can't every so often but its worked for me for 8 years so.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont know where youve been but cities with military posts near or apart of them have been notorious for this....i dont know if the marines have a black list of car dealers. should have them talk to legal about it they may be able to help.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Launching!

im with him alot of little dealers will cater to young military members because they know once they sign on the line they are getting their money. Its sad but you cant force them to spend their money the way it should. However it will teach them a harsh lesson that they wont (hopefully) make again.

Quick Reply: Car Dealers ripping off young Marines