Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Who is from Davis-Monthan? seen a few nice cars rollin round base

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Who is from Davis-Monthan? seen a few nice cars rollin round base

Hey yall ive seen some nice rides rollin around base and except for the passing wave havent had any interaction so id like to introduce myself.
Name: James Hess
Hometown: Quinlan, Texas
Ride: in sig

how many others are here?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Launching!

I'm from that area, but I don't live there now. Wish I did though!! How long you been there?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

my boy Paul is stationed there, think his screen name is 99WS7

He's got a really clean red 99 TA with WS6 hood and FM5s

he's a firefighter on the base but doesn't drive the car that much
Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

I'm at DM. I work at the AGE shop
Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have been at D-M for a little over a year. im AMMO i drive the blue Z/28 thats fairly loud but its outa commission for a while till i can get some new gaskets and put on my head and cam package. right now i am driving my truck which is a white chevy 3500 4dr 4x4 long bed dually, it has a white DmaxCentral.com sticker on the back window.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

DM is my follow-on after Korea. I drove through DM in late April and saw a couple LSX cars. I can't wait to drive my '78 Z28 and truck again. Are there any local car forums online? What about local tracks?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

there is sonoranmusclecars.com but there not limited to camaros or ls1 cars, and also arizonacamaros.net im still waiting on both to approve my registration with them ha ha. how long does it take lol. as for track SIR dragstrip a short drive down I-10 towards vail, id say no more than 20 min. i go there as often as i can but havnt raced much.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im trying to get a follow on there, that is if i get the orders to Korea that im hoping for this month.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

well good luck with your orders bud. Tucson aint bad but id like more GRASS lol im tired of all the dirt and rocks. i thought it was funny cause they sell lawnmowers here and there aint much grass but im sure poeple have it. on another note though back home in Texas i couldnt sit on my back porch and look at palm trees with mountains in the close background.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

whats up bro, Im here at DM. Got here in Jan from Dyess. So far its not to bad, I know what you mean about the grass...lol. I miss my big back yard with a **** load of grass I had in TX.

I drive a 99 red TA (mods in sig) like my boy Dave mentioned above Im a firefighter here. Im at station 1 right by the flt line. I park across from base ops so and Im the only TA out there that I have seen.

What head/cam package you going with. You have a tuner picked out yet. Ive been hearing good things from a guy named Nic D in Phoenix that has tuned a lot of lsx cars. Im gonna try to go out there in Sep for a retune, if you have your **** done by then you should try to roll...maybe we can get a deal or something. I have another buddie with a modded TA thats wants to get retuned too...be nice to roll with some peeps. Whos doing your work or are you. Let me know if you need a hand, helped on two cam installs and heads aren't really that hard.

hit me up...always looking to meet fellow f body owners. Only met a few here on base since I got here.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey man for damn sure ill hit you up for help with the install. i have seen your ride settin over in the lot across from the terminal, i have to say its nice i always have liked the look of the TA's that will be my next project if it aint somethin like a 2000 vette or somethin. i am doing the install myself but i havent done it yet cause i am buying a house on valincia and I-10 so till i get my garage i dont think i am going to do it cause i dont like the fact of leaving the car at the hobby shop(heard things walk away). im AMMO so im way out in the boondocks of D-M down uma.

i have LS1 edit on my laptop(ancient POS might as well be chipping on a slab with a hammer and chisel) and i am still trying to figure it out. i think i might get EFI live cause that is what i am going to use to tune my truck. for now i will definatly let the guy take a crack at it though but dont think i will drive it there might haul it. if you know of anyone with a trailer long enough to fit 2 cars i have the truck to pull it lol, that is if you dont want to drive(save in gas costs). what bike you ride? as of now i have a 93 CBR 900 RR with 97 fairings and tail(not riding it cause idiot brother in law nasty "i know how to ride" spill) so its getting fixed enough to sell and i have another bike i am trying to get posession of that i am going to fix(03 GSXR 1000). been tellin the guy to get it out of my yard for almost a year and he hasnt so im taking it<---kinda cold but i aint A Atlas storage lol.

the head and cam package is from Texas-Speed that trevor cooked up in his own time as he said anyway and it will be pretty good so the guys at Texas-Speed tell me anyway. specs are: Cam- 224/228 Dur., 595 Lift intake and exhaust, 114 LSA
Heads- STG 1.5, 64CC chamber, 228CC runners, dual spring rated .650
flow i think right at 300 CFM.
nothing too special for now. think i might spray later after i throw on a larger throttle body.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

sweet, Yeah I have some buddies that live out there. Im not to far, Im in the Rita Ranch area off Valencia and Nexus. I give you a hand for sure. Sounds like a pretty healthy set up. Most of my goods came from tsp and I got tuned out there. I need a new tune now though with the higher elevation and only 91 octane out here. Wish I could tune it my self but haven't messes with that **** before and I dont have any of the programs either.Dont know anyone with a long trailer like that but maybe one could be rented or find someone that does cause yeah Id be down to trailer mine too.

I ride a 06 ZX10. Actually about to take to a shop today to get a estimate done on it. Last week a clown on base did a roll stop and pulled right infront of me, I nearly missed his front bumber as I skidded by. Bike still layed down on the right side, not to bad. But hes paying to get it all fixed. Had some yoshi carbone fiber cans sitting in my garage for like 6 weeks now so Im finally getting those put on along with some frame sliders. Its on his dime so Im cool with it. Im also gonna have the POS front calipers replaced with some 1000rr calipers, its a easy mod that only requires a 5mm spacer...the 06/07 zx10's have SHITTY front breaks. The bike will be better then it was so Im happy about that. If you get your bike we need to go ride. Only know a few that ride here since I havent been here to long.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good man ill tow it for ya when we go if we can find a trailer long enough and low enough to get the cars on(rental or somethin and split the cost) it would have to be a a hitch mount cause i do not have a gooseneck or fith wheel hook up yet. i have a buddy that works with me he drives a 2002 SOM SS and he told me of a place that sells 100 octane but i cant remember the name of it, ill for sure find out though cause i want to run it when i go to the track.

well about the bike im trying to fix mine and sell it and the 1000 i am trying to get possession over it with an abandoned title but the fellow on base at the DMV told me i cant cause i am renting my house, i figure if they tell me no ill wait till i move into my new home then file again. hell yeah i own.

teusday was when i drove my car and went to the DMV and after i got out it wouldnt stay running but i waited a bit and it started fine. i really need to get the **** fixed and as i said if im in there why not do the package as well. i will be replacing everything gasket and seal wise i think so it will be some work.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, Im down if it doesnt cost a fortune to rent the trailer, cant see it being that much.

Thats cool about the bike, good luck with that, could work out to be a pretty good deal.

So whats up with your ride not running good? mine runs so so right now, on start up I have to hold it at 1200rpm until it warms up some, I usually wait until the seatbelt sign goes out. Its running to lean here as well, thats why I need the retune. I also need to change my fuel pump. Ive overheated it several times and its on its last leg...If its hot as **** out I get freaked out cause it may go out, I have a cut out too...I keep that bitch closed now cause of the heat it puts on my tank.

As far as the 100 octane goes, they sale it at the gas station (gas city) on Valencia and Houghton. I put like 6 gallons in once and OMG my car was like a rocket ship, ran AWESOME, but then I let the car sit for a few days and it ran like ****. My A/F was all over the place and it would barley run, it was weird. Since then I just put two gallons in when I went to the track and it seems to be ok, I was just tying to keep the detention down and make it run a little richer which it seemed to help. Once I get tuned for the octane here (91) and higher altitude the car should run better.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

well as of right now i have a bad head gasket(about 80% sure, its either that or blow by but i have steam coming from the oil fill when i take the cap out) that is drowning one or more of my cylindars when i drive alot of stop and go at low RPM's and it will eventually not want to start. about every gasket on the damn thing is leaking so i am replacing every one i can get to. not sure if i am going to pull the motor but i dont want to if i dont have to.

i want to try and find something to mount to my strut mounts in the engine bay to hold the weight of the motor and lift the car after i unbolt the K-member so i can replace the motor mounts and drop the pan to look everything over when i am replacing the front and rear seals and the pan gasket. if i can do that i might get the light weight K-member from spohn and there motor mounts and swap it out at the same time cause i dont want to do it twice, but again right now i am trying to scavenge every penny for the house costs. i figure if i am dropping the K-member i am going to go ahead and build the bottom end or refresh it so i have some work ahead of me either way. right now just the head and cam package though so i guess i am going to have to do everything twice, just allow me to save for what i actually want to do.

i guess we will have to see just how much my build is going to run me and see what i can do and when. im sure my rear end is taking a dive and it seems quite odd to me cause i only have 116K on the clock but who knows. i know the wheel bearings need replacing along with the bearings on the sides of the diff. where the shafts enter if there are any(i dont mess with rear ends that often) and and the one on the front of the diff.(<---aint the the carrier bearing) i can hear a humming when i am turning and on the gas with regular driving or any for that matter. i need a new seal for the tail shaft on the tranny and that could use a nice refresher as well(torque converter, rebuild/shift kit, aux. cooler and all that) just seems to be limited funds for now with the house and trying to fix the bike to sell and all. sorry for this to be so long.

Last edited by usaf_hess; 08-07-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99WS7
Yeah, Im down if it doesnt cost a fortune to rent the trailer, cant see it being that much.

Thats cool about the bike, good luck with that, could work out to be a pretty good deal.

So whats up with your ride not running good? mine runs so so right now, on start up I have to hold it at 1200rpm until it warms up some, I usually wait until the seatbelt sign goes out. Its running to lean here as well, thats why I need the retune. I also need to change my fuel pump. Ive overheated it several times and its on its last leg...If its hot as **** out I get freaked out cause it may go out, I have a cut out too...I keep that bitch closed now cause of the heat it puts on my tank.

As far as the 100 octane goes, they sale it at the gas station (gas city) on Valencia and Houghton. I put like 6 gallons in once and OMG my car was like a rocket ship, ran AWESOME, but then I let the car sit for a few days and it ran like ****. My A/F was all over the place and it would barley run, it was weird. Since then I just put two gallons in when I went to the track and it seems to be ok, I was just tying to keep the detention down and make it run a little richer which it seemed to help. Once I get tuned for the octane here (91) and higher altitude the car should run better.
was it leaded 100 octane or uleaded. If it had lead thats what caused the af to go all over the place, it messed with the o2 sensors
Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Teching In

visited this site alot so i figured might as well register so here i am...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bringing it back from the dead. I'm a USAF civilian at Whiteman and I just got a promotion to DM and start on Aug 2nd. I'll be a Security Manager out at the 309 AMARG out in the 'boneyard'. Can anybody tell me where are some good affordable apartments or rental homes that are in low crime areas? I havent been to Tucson since I had AIT out at Huachuca back in 99.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

check out harrison park on broadway and harrison, nice area and decent prices. If your looking for real cheap look at posada del rio on speedway and kolb, low price rent is around 450 and no real trouble there just a bunch of handicap people. Im currently at williams centre condominiums right outside craycroft gate. Its full of border patrol and military so I dont have to worry about crime too much and I have a garage.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, the wife and I finally settled here. So far, her Jeep got stolen and my clutch took a dump. Nice start for a new place to live. My ride is sitting at the auto hobby shop until I get my clutch stuff in to install it.

Quick Reply: Who is from Davis-Monthan? seen a few nice cars rollin round base