Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Reserves

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reserves

Can some of you give me the lowdown on what the reserves in each branch of the military is like?

I am dead set on being in the reserves of one branch. I really want to serve but I want to be stationed close to home. I understand I can and will be deployed. But I just want to be stationed close to home.

It seems like this is going really fast. I turned 17 august 8th and I have had Info from all the branches sent to me snail mail and 3 phone calls from army and the marines and My local recruiter has been to my house and talked to my mom and is coming back tomorrow.

What are some good things I should ask the recruiter when I talk to him tomorrow?

Matt
Old 08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Launching!

well it depends what recruiter? because if it's the army you should tell him "get the hell out of my house" lol, seriously, but it all depends on what you want your carreer to be and how many tours you want under your belt because i guarantee with the reserves unless you get a pogg (office) job you will likely have 2-3 tours if not more... but that's just from what i've heard from a couple buddies... but in all honesty it depends on what you want to acheive and what your goals are... i joined the air force reserves after being in the army and seeing it defenitely wasn't for me but that's how some branches are either you like it or you don't
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I either want to be a cop or a teacher. How long is a tour?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Launching!

a tour can vary from 6-12 months usually talk for 15 months but i think that's only if your lucky enough to be extended... but by then you'll be making bank with the extra pay that comes along with that... as far as your carreers go cop is the only one that i could think of being able to be offered by the military ie military police... but those guys are on patrol over there 24/7 working with iraqi police... as far as cop goes just having the discipline to be in any branch of service will look good on a resume... tell you the truth if your not the kind that wants action look for a nice office job with any branch if you are the kind that wants adventure then talk and see what you have available to you did you take the asvap test yet? (it's an aptitude test) and what branch is the recruiter coming to talk to you tomorrow with? if all else fails just see what he has to offer and come back and let us know we can guide you but if you don't have asvap scores it's all up in the air right now just being interested will get them to work with you but becareful as most recruiters use unorthadox (spelling?) tactics to try to get you to joind ie lie
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Launching!

The recruiter is for the marines. Other things I'm interested in are firefighting and a transport operator. I have no problem with action I will be the first to admit that I don't think I will be a very good infantry. But I do believe I would make a good firefighter or transport operator. I think I just wanted a mos of MP because It would be good experience If I did decide to be a cop after the service.

My main concern is just being close to home when I'm not deployed. I would go active in a heart beat If I knew I would be stationed in NJ. I understand that I would be deployed between 6-15 months, but after that I would be right back in NJ right?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Launching!

correct after your deployment you will jump back into drill... by the way most branches mp/infantry are the same... just girls get to be mp's but other than that they are both patrolling which is pretty much what everyone does that's not a fobbit (person that doens't leave the base)...
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I was you I would look into aviation... Best decision that I have ever made... You will not enjoy life as an MP or as a Motor t guy. Both jobs have a lot of shitty things that go with them from my experiences. There is a reserve base in New Paltz NY (70 mi north of nyc) where there are marines. Ask your recruiter about c 130 air crew, I love my job... And I get paid extra to fly. You could be either active or reserve there if you wanted. What is your asvab score?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure the Army reserves has a Military Police unit at fort dix, I really don't know how far that is from edison, been out of jersey for quite a few years now. I'm in the Army Reserves, and I like it. As a MP, you will be deployed a bit though, but that's regardless of the branch....
Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Launching!

so I talked to the recruiter and In all honesty I don't think I am limited to just reserves.

On the practice test I got a 41 with out using the scratch paper, I'm sure If I tried I could have gotten a way higher score.

I'm gonna go talk to the army recruiters sometime next week..
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WayFast84
so I talked to the recruiter and In all honesty I don't think I am limited to just reserves.

On the practice test I got a 41 with out using the scratch paper, I'm sure If I tried I could have gotten a way higher score.

dude seriously don't waste your time with the army if you are go in there with the attitude that you might get cond... they fill in slots the army needs so they will try to sell you on jobs they are hurting on ie infantry, and other useless grunt ****... i know other branches do it to but they also take in what you want... not from my experience go "yeah uhuh i see well that's sounds fun but this is funner,"... if i'm insulting anyone hey i'm just putting it like it is and i apologize but in all honesty think of another branch unless you can get a bad *** job YOU would actually want
Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I could not have said that better ^^ I have to tell you, I travel the world and drink beer for a job, so I think that is a good way to go. Also if you went reserves and went with my job, you would not deploy. Trust me it sounds like fun, but once you are actually living 100 ft from a **** pond for 8 months it is not that much fun.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

What branch and job you are going to pick will depend a lot on ASVAB score. The higher it is the better the jobs you can get.

I love being in the Army Reserve. I dont know what all the hate on the Army is all about in here because theres nothing wrong with it, sounds like a bunch of interservice jabs instead of giving you a fair assesment of your options.

As for being stationed in Jersey, if you are active you will not be in jersey for most if not all of your career. In the reserves and guard there are a lot of units in Jersey.

Explore your options with each branch and weigh the benefits of each. I can tell you from experience that the Army Reserve and Guard have a lot to offer in terms of benefits and is very flexible with your civilian career and goals. My wifes Air Guard unit on the other hand is a major PITA.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

^^^ no hate hear just would have liked somebody to have been open with me about what the army was actually like... sure it was fun at times but if it wasn't for a make it what you want it to be attitude i had i would have been in hell... when we came back from iraq i couldn't stop thinking about getting out and hoping not to get stop lossed... or how bout now with the back door draft
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Here is the real question, you want to stay close to home, so the first thing you need to do is find out what MOS's (jobs) are even available for you at your local reserve centers and then you can narrow what branch down and MOS you want to choose from there. Don't settle for something you don't want you'll regret it in the long run
Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WayFast84

I'm an Army recruiter and have yet to lie to anyone. I don't care if someone joins or not... if I have to lie to someone to get them to join than they don't deserve to be in. With your practice test score you're looking at above a 50 on the actual test which pretty much makes it up to you as far as jobs go. Do what you want, not what the guidance counselor tells you to do. If you want to be an MP, join as an MP. They'll get it for you if you let them know that it's what you want. It might take some time but you'll get it as long as you're qualified. The Army Reserves commitment is normally 6 years long. Everyone's getting a 20K bonus which is paid out in increments over the 6 years, NOT in a lump sum. Bottom line is just stand your ground and get what you want, don't settle for what they'll give you.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Launching!

^^^ you forgot to mention the 8 year commitment you have to fullfill with any military branch... hense all the back door drafts going on... and your right though not all recruiters are the same but more than a few are the ones that lie
Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only advice to you as a 17 year old young man who has yet to really experience life, forget the notion of wanting to stay close to home. Go get out and see the world, it is really the only time you'll get to experience the world and other cultures. There is a lot more to life than New Jersey and I think you shouldn't limit yourself to such a small corner of the world. I can't count how many different countries i've been to with the Navy, and I took away something from all of them. I originally enlisted for 4 years with the intention of going to college and not doing a day over 4 years. Here I am over 7 years and still enjoy it, but am getting out at the end of this enlistment.

Whatever you so choose I would expand your options and try and go active.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by beezer1519
^^^ you forgot to mention the 8 year commitment you have to fullfill with any military branch... hense all the back door drafts going on... and your right though not all recruiters are the same but more than a few are the ones that lie

Back door drafts? It's right on the first page of the enlistment contract.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dantastic01SS
Back door drafts? It's right on the first page of the enlistment contract.

Yeah no ****, I guess people consider it backdoor because they fail to read the contract. Nobodys fault but their own.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Well I'm really thinking about going in the marines. I'm kind of torn. I want to do this. I want to get in the Delayed entry program asap. But I don't think I will have the permission from my Dad as I am only 17, and my mom only has partial custody.

Ive been thinking, and I actually don't think infantry is a bad Idea anymore. Just by talking to the recruiter it seems like if I did sign up, and made it past bootcamp, I will be able to do anything.

Quick Reply: Reserves