Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Sleeper Electric 72 Datsun

Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeper Electric 72 Datsun

I think this car was in Motor Trend or Car & Driver a year or so ago. Peep it.

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/vide...ic-Drag-Racing
Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Pretty cool. I honestly think that is where we might be heading long down the road. But I won't consider one unless it gets in the 8's. Does take off like a bat out of hell. Wonder what the 60' times are lol
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

The 'Vette in that video can't launch for ****, wow.

Anyways on the subject of the car, it is a cool build and props for the guy for doing it, but I think they're over rating it.

12-14 minute recharge been track passes, awesome! Also they never mention the range of the vehicle. Looking at the video I kind of get the impression he has to recharge every couple of passes. Like he runs the 'Vette twice and then recharges.

Also that car is only fast because its stripped. If wander around our forum and see who has stripped out their LS1s to the point of having a seat, a cage and nothing else, they're doing a lot better than high 11s / low 12s.

I give the guy props, but to me this car shows more how electric is kind of niche in a sense. His car kicks ***, but you toss a real interior, air bags, etc into that Datsun and it porks up, gets slow and starts losing to that M3 by an 1/8 of a mile.

Electric offers a lot of potential with that instant torque production etc, but the fact that even with a state of the art battery the only way he sees 11s is by weighing 2,600 pounds shows that electric doesn't have the endurance to give us what we need in a car. It can give us a good sprint, but it can't handle the marathon of daily use.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
The 'Vette in that video can't launch for ****, wow.

Anyways on the subject of the car, it is a cool build and props for the guy for doing it, but I think they're over rating it.

12-14 minute recharge been track passes, awesome! Also they never mention the range of the vehicle. Looking at the video I kind of get the impression he has to recharge every couple of passes. Like he runs the 'Vette twice and then recharges.

Also that car is only fast because its stripped. If wander around our forum and see who has stripped out their LS1s to the point of having a seat, a cage and nothing else, they're doing a lot better than high 11s / low 12s.

I give the guy props, but to me this car shows more how electric is kind of niche in a sense. His car kicks ***, but you toss a real interior, air bags, etc into that Datsun and it porks up, gets slow and starts losing to that M3 by an 1/8 of a mile.

Electric offers a lot of potential with that instant torque production etc, but the fact that even with a state of the art battery the only way he sees 11s is by weighing 2,600 pounds shows that electric doesn't have the endurance to give us what we need in a car. It can give us a good sprint, but it can't handle the marathon of daily use.
It would be a super cheap way to build a tiny drag car though!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Was that one of those rental car vetts? LOL
Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I know that car. It's white Zombie. He runs at PIR, I've tech'd him in several times. I remember when they were doing all that filming for electric vehicles. That electric drag bike is also the quickest electric bike in the world. Running low low 8's. Just to let you know, that bike is too loud to normally run at PIR before 10pm. it runs in the mid 90's for it's dB level simply because of the air it displaces as it runs by you. there used to be another electric vehicle, I think it was a Geo metro, that ran at PIR. hasn't been back since it hit the wall though. it was chain drive and the chain snapped and locked up the rear wheels around the 330'. One things for sure, those electric vehicles move off the line like no other.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any info on 60'?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool stuff...although he should at least wear a seat belt down the dragstrip. And probably should install a roll cage.

Last edited by NOBR8KSS; 12-11-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Banned

pretty cool . The only and real bad part about an electric car is 60 batterys would cost a fortune even for the autozone specials. I dont think i would like to hve to sit and wait 15 or so min to charge before every run. Def a cool little car though
Old 12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Mmmm.... Battery powered S10 down here at firebird raceway runs flat 11s.

Does that count?
Old 12-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Launching!

My uncle is in charge of the electric race car program at BGSU. Every time I go up to visit him he has some new electric vehicle "toy" right now he has converted his riding mower to electric and he also has a little 6 wheel gator type vehicle that is hinged in the middle (like a front loader) Gotta love max tq at 0 RPM's.

Search this Thread