Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

First real attempt....Sony H2 and GIMP. Criticism welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First real attempt....Sony H2 and GIMP. Criticism welcome!

This is the first time I went out and took pics that I intended to post-process. I gave it a good effort, but I think I overdid some things. Once I saw them, I realized these two originals were a bit dark to begin with, but I liked them the best due to their composition and positioning. Let me know what can make these better!

Raw

Edited

Raw

Edited

Last edited by Rowdy94; 07-17-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

nice lookin shots man, IMHO i think you waited a little to late sun wise to take them-or maybe get some shots under street lights? angles on the car look real good though...keep it up you'll find it!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Way too much of a blue cast and way too much post processing. Too much quality was lost with no effort to hide the loss. Here is a little 10 minute photoshop I did just to show you. I removed the blue color cast (a white balance problem), adjusted the curves and shadows/highlights to brighten the picture up some, dodged the car and burned the sky to keep the dark look it seemed you were going for while still showing detail on the car, and did some minor sharpening.

It's a decent capture with a little work but you still need to work on the rule of thirds (I could have cropped it for better composition but wanted to leave it just as yours was so you could have a direct comparison).

Cropped version (the focus is more on the car but you still get the feel from the whole scene, but the car doesn't get so lost in it)
Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I'm bumping this again just to show you guys what a difference post processing can make. Do you mind if I use your two pictures as an example in my write-up on how to take and process better pictures?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey it took a week, but I finally got some replies. You can certainly use the pics in your write-up under one condition. That condition is that you PM me or post in here and go into more detail about what exactly you edited where, because your after-edit picture is perfect.