Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Beware Travose21

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Beware Travose21

I purchased a used shortblock from Travose21 and he told me it was in perfect running condition. After receipt, I carried it to the Rage motorsports and James pulled the front and rear covers and pulled the cam out of it. At this point he noticed the cam bearings. The rear one was worn down to the copper and two others looked like someone had took a hammer and chisel to them. At this time I attempted to contact him. He told me that he was in the mountains somewhere. So after not hearing from him for a few days, I said to myself that I would just suck it up and pay for it. I decided to have all new bearings and rings put in the motor. The motor is at the machine shop now and they just called and said that 2 of the head bolt holes were cracked on the motor. I called and asked him to just kick me some money back to pay for the parts and he refused, said that the motor was perfect.

Motor was supposedly in perfect shape with 36K on it. He maintains it was running in his car. I bought several things from him so I guess you could say I gave ~$900 for the motor. The machine shop said it looked like a Franken-Motor. Looks like they took several motors and put together to make one...

Now he is saying I am a liar..
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not care if you like the word, don't like the word, or want to argue about it's origin or meaning or even its recommended usage, it is completely unnecessary on this site and will not be tolerated whatsoever.

If you wish to use it or discuss it further, do it somewhere else. That is not open for debate.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

XtinctZ28...Sorry for not being PC about this whole deal...was just callin' it like I see it. I get tired of seeing people get ripped off and nothing is said or done about it...

Keith this truly sucks having to go through this sh**...!! I can't believe what this dishonest ***-clown told you (and me) when we picked up the motor and other parts. You definately didn't get what you paid for and what he said he had, thats for damn sure. You take someone for their word, get flat out lied to to your face and end up getting f**ked from this POS. That my friend is the true definition of a ******...

IMHO...I say we get a little local possie together, take a trip to LA and find this *******. I'm dead serious Keith.

I've been around long enough to be wary of fast, smooth talkin' people that can't look you in the eye when talking to you. I sure got that feeling from this ***-clown when I went down with you to pick up the motor. But what do you do. You try to give people the benefit of the doubt and talk yourself out of what your gut is tellin' you.

I honestly hope this ***-clown gets his very soon, as it ALWAYS does. Carma's a bitch...!! You need anything let me know...
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Teching In

True. The engine was in poor shape. Cam bearings were wasted, nicked baldy and wore. This engine appeared to have had several cam swaps, maybe even the use of a hammer on one swap. The crank snout looked like it was chewed on by a pipe wrench. The block is cracked on two lower head bolt holes, probably due to compressed fluid. Grinding on internals of block for some unknown reason. With 16+ yrs experience, this was NOT a "drop in and drive engine". Its a shame when you need to find parts in a pinch, to save you time/money and it ends up costing you both. My opinion and the Machine shops opinion are the same, "the engine appears to have been thrown together for a sell, or put together poorly prior to the sale". On the bright side of things, Keith, your "FRESH" engine should be ready mid week. Oh, and we kept the cost down to help with the beating you took on this deal.

Last edited by Rage Z06; 09-14-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

I know I am not going to get any satisfaction out of this other than dealing with some good people on my end now.

Just don't want anyone else getting ripped by this guy..
Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rage Z06
True. The engine was in poor shape. Cam bearings were wasted, nicked baldy and wore. This engine appeared to have had several cam swaps, maybe even the use of a hammer on one swap. The crank snout looked like it was chewed on by a pipe wrench. The block is cracked on two lower head bolt holes, probably due to compressed fluid. Grinding on internals of block for some unknown reason. With 16+ yrs experience, this was NOT a "drop in and drive engine". Its a shame when you need to find parts in a pinch, to save you time/money and it ends up costing you both. My opinion and the Machine shops opinion are the same, "the engine appears to have been thrown together for a sell, or put together poorly prior to the sale". On the bright side of things, Keith, your "FRESH" engine should be ready mid week. Oh, and we kept the cost down to help with the beating you took on this deal.
Come on James..."nicked baldy"...?? I resemble that remark Gotta give you and your shop props for helping out Keith on this deal. You didn't have to but that shows your character and how you treat your customers.

I know it's snowballed for him pretty badly. If it wasn't for you being the person you are and your shops growing reputation of being an honest, top quality shop I don't know where he'd be right now. I'm sure holding another tube of K-y...

Hope to see the SS back out on the streets soon for some fun runs...I know Keith is ready.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

I completely agree DJ. If it wasn't for James I would be in a RAGE. He sure has helped me out more than anyone else would have. I have full faith he will have me motoring ASAP...

What are you talking about another tube of KY???, I have taken so many times on this car, I think I am liking the dry way better.....LOL
Old 09-15-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

I had a chance to take a look at this motor before it went to the machine shop as well, and it was not good. James pretty much hit the nail on the head with his description. Glad to see a shop taking care of local racers and all it's customers, like it should be done.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

UPdate on this. The motor ran for all of about 15 seconds and one of the pistons exploded, taking out the block and one of my brand new ls6 heads. All in all, thanks to my man Travis here, I flushed over $2500 down the toilet. thanks man, I appreciate it
Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
UPdate on this. The motor ran for all of about 15 seconds and one of the pistons exploded, taking out the block and one of my brand new ls6 heads. All in all, thanks to my man Travis here, I flushed over $2500 down the toilet. thanks man, I appreciate it
I hate to see a man get beat up like that, but after all the above info I would not have ran the engine with out a rebuild. Did you not do so?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dude! why would u go ahead and run the motor that was diagnosed as junk????
if anything was worth anything. its gone now along with your new head.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

The motor went to the machine shop where all new rings and bearing were put in it. Everything was looked at. Nothing appeared to be damaged. Only after that did we install and run the motor. (or at least try to).

Nobody I have ever talked to has seen carnage like this. The piston literally exploded like it was made of glass. I don't know what it was exposed to before, but whatever it was, it was nasty.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The motor went to the machine shop where all new rings and bearing were put in it. Everything was looked at. Nothing appeared to be damaged. Only after that did we install and run the motor. (or at least try to).

Nobody I have ever talked to has seen carnage like this. The piston literally exploded like it was made of glass. I don't know what it was exposed to before, but whatever it was, it was nasty.
Well I could have showed you one on the 346 that another shop built, it did the same thing started it up watched the oil presure come up and went to top off the coolant and herd two deistinct knocks so shut it down to look at a few things and well it never ran again lol piston came off the rod went down into the crank case and bent amost every rod and the rest of the wrist pin pounded the cylinder almost completely away. Sorry to hear about this I've been in on some shitty things before and I know it suck. I have a stock motor with 24K on it out of Carbon's car Jason the guy that came with me the day to check out your SS boat on Center street. Hit me up if I can help you out.
Jeff
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

We are up and running now with another motor that James had at his shop.

I appreciate the offer Jeff.

Damn, the boating episode was 3 years ago.....
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good Keith.

Quick Reply: Beware Travose21