Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Beware of Paypal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beware of Paypal!!!

Sellers beware paypal will not protect you from lying buyers on these forums. Let me be clear this thread is not to bash paypal but to make those of you whom sell items on these forums aware that paypal will side with the buyer a long as the seller does what paypal ask regardless of the the source. ( will explain in detail ).

In my case I posted a thread for a supercharger and supercharger parts for a 05 and up corvette. Everything and I do mean everything down to the last nut bolt and detail of what items where new and used that was included in the sale was listed in the thread and nothing more.

The add listed at about 9-10am on here and other forums, of just a list of what was included and a statement that I will post pics as soon as i get a chance to download them. I then left for the day to go to work. When i returned around 5am the add had recieved a few hits in the thread from some potential buyers.
One buyer ( the guy who eventually bought it) never posted in the actual sell add but he had emailed and pm 'ed me twice that "I seen the add I want it, just send me pics and I will send money to your paypal."

Well I did just that. I sent the buyer 6 pics showing all the parts listed in the add. We also communicated on the phone where we talked more than 4 diffrent ocassions in which the buyer asked questions.

By 8pm I had the money in my paypal account. No sooner than 8:30-8:45 the buyer called me and at that point the buyer told me that he didnt notice the plumbing was missing and asked if i could refund to him a little to make up the for plumbing. My answer was no in a courjal way because, I had already threw in a set of 60lb injectors that where not included in the add. He stated ,he understood "and the supercharger head unit alone is worth what your asking".

After the item was recived by the buyer, he called me to let me know he wanted his money back because he intercooler look to big and that he didnt think it will fit his car. ( the intercooler is a new Procharger unit as stated in the add for a 05 and up vette)

I knew a problem had developed.
I told him that we could talk to procharger over the phone together , but he never agreed to that action.

Eventually he filed a claim, and paypal told him that he had to get mechanic to say that the item dosnt fit.
Well thats what he did and they awarded his money back to him as long as he paid to ship the item back.

I couldnt use my paypal account to send or recieve money for over a month. I lost out on money and items that i wanted to buy but couldnt.
All because a guy was in such of a hurry to jump on a good deal that he over looked a few things such as cost to finish the build. Now i have to try to resale the item and wait another few days to get my item back.

I called paypal to verify why they sided with the seller and they told me "because their policy was to get the buyer to prove that the item was not as claimed by a approved mechanic or body shop. The buyer did that in the allowed time (about 14days).

The problem with that is, that Procharger makes the intercooler and they said that it will fit. But he goes and get a friend or realitive ( I am assuming, becasuse if it was procharger they would have told him it fits) who is a mechanic to say the item doesn't fit and he wins because he did exactly what he ask.

I asked what i can do to protect myself in the future and they told me that there is nothing that i could have done in this situation (i.e. forums) to protect myself from a buyer that says there is something wrong with the item.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Reminds me of the thread about the guy selling the cam and getting a stock cam in return... You got hosed I bet
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

if it makes ya feel any better- you are not alone. paypal is an ebay business and if you are using it outside an ebay listing i don't think they give a rip about you.

listed several 4th gen Z parts, and sold a smog pump to a guy. he had seen the photos, including a detailed one of the stamped part number. i had told him to make sure of the part number before purchasing to assure it was the correct part for his application. once he got it, he started sending me nasty emails cussing and saying a sold him the wrong part and it didn't fit his car. didn't even try to talk to me about it, although he clearly ignored the ad and photos. he filed a claim immediately, lied in his claim and even told paypal it was an ebay purchase- which it was not, listed on a forum board. i sent a detailed email and included all email correspondence from beginning to end as well as a link to the thread listing the items. they rewarded his money after he sent the part back, although i did not sign for it. i called and spoke to a person at paypal- it was about what you would expect- they refused to even look at my response to his claim and tell me how anybody could have truly 'investigated' or reviewed this info and not see discrepancies. if there were a better way to transfer money, i would use it, but they have us over a barrel to some extent.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree 100%
Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they pissed me off pretty bad last month,i had my checking acct linked to my paypal last couple of years,i had my feebay fees due and i believe they were about $4 over what i had in PP at the time,so they attempted to take the remaining amt out of my checking acct,well i had closed that a few months earlier due to the local crooks known as COMPASS BANK screwing me repeatedly,i forgot to unlink the two accts,i ended up getting pd on some auctions few days later and had to manually go in and pay these dumbasses cause they couldnt figure out how to retry my PP acct? i think all is ok again until i win an auction on ebay and go to pay the guy,its like $65,i get a message stating ive reached my spending limit($5,000)i know ive got around $220 in my acct after getting pd on a bunch of my auctions,so why the hell am i not able to pay this guy?apparently im now unverified after 4 years of selling on ebay,100% feedback,over $10,000 spent with paypal with no significant problems,now im a scammer risk?? i sent them a nasty email and they called me rt away,basically i was told i need to link a checking/savings acct. in the future,or get one of their stupid credit cards,they did lift the limit but only after i raised alot of hell,i really dont see how its legal to hold someone back from sending another person money owed,when you have well over that amt in your balance,i think its about time ebay/paypal get some class action lawsuits as a wakeup call...
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same exact thing just happened to me with paypal due to a idiot on here who purchased a item from me and then decided he had buyers remorse
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

southside I agree with you. I just experienced that whole thing with them limiting my account and have me call to verify who i am with a bank account and a few other things.

that is exactly what is was NBM "buyers remorse".
He rushed to buy the item because he knew it was a good deal, and without research to see how much i would cost complete the setup he bought it before someone else could beat him too it.
He didnt see anything wrong with the item until after sent the money. Then after he got the item he came up with somthing else to try and justify him getting his money back.

There is know argument here. The item fits his car as per Procharger website/ techline etc... i called all and provided all to paypal.

Time to start looking for other options
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i quit using that rip off bs!they can keep there fees!!i'll use certified money order or check!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Paypal must have changed their policy because for the longest time if the buyer received the item a complaint went in the sellers favor. Which makes sense because paypal can't verify the condition of the item off ebay since the seller could have stated it was in need of repair.

But over the years I've seen a lot of buyers burned because the seller claimed the item was in good condition and it wasn't, which is also something paypal can't verify off ebay. Evidently the was lots of problems with that system so now they protecting buyers since they don't want any scams going on.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea i can understand the "condition" type secnario, but when the item is sold from the manufactor for a specific vehicle and the buyer says that it dosnt fit and they use his friend who is mechanic to verify that ( which most of us have)........well that is a bunch of bull.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quit using that rip off bs!they can keep there fees!!i'll use certified money order or check!
this is what i do most of the time, but yet there is issues with doing it this way as well, i hate paypal , op sorry to hear about this, but honest they should not of gave that guy any money back and told him to bad so sad, i could get a mechanic to say what ever i want ,
Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

my point exactly , there is a flaw in there system.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Paypal just plain SUCKS. They take fees from you to use the service, under the assumption that it's a convenience/safety/security thing. But, they provide none of the above. It's inconvenient due to account freezes, their BS claim procedures, and the like. It's still safe and secure in the way that people don't hack your credit card information...but your money itself is not safe and secure. As we all know...they'll still rip you off due to a convincing scammer.
I'm wondering....if you used your credit card through paypal, and you ended up getting money taken from you due to a claim, could you call your credit card company and say that the charge was not authorized?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

I had paypal for 4 years. Yea they suck.. I got bit 3 times by scammers. Ill never use them again.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never had any problems with using PayPal when buying something in fact they have come to my rescue twice with my purschases using PayPal.I have never sold anything thur them so I guess they are only good for the buyer?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

lots of people gettin bit by the paypal dog. Seems like only buyers are safe.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sell the custom car parts I make thru paypal and I only had a couple problems out of thousands of transactions, but they were resolved quickly. I think paypal is good for ebay and business transactions, but for selling to a private party it's hit & miss.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes sir!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing happen with these rods.

Gilbert Luckel of Petal MS. (TinSecondRice) Bought these rods from me. Once he got the rods he said that they are damaged. And threaten to use paypal to get his money back. I called paypal to see if i could file a claim aginst him and they basically said no! Eventhough now I have the rods in my possesion and I can go too a machinest to verify the condition of the rods.

Sellers Beware! Use another method of payment.
There is nothing wrong with the rods.....
look at the pics

was shipped like this
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

idk if you are looking at the same rods i am but those things are junk.

just kidding, paypal sucks. i have been screwed over from them and also got screwed over by a postal money order