Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Getting the shaft on a camshaft!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the shaft on a camshaft!!!!!

I am in the process of building a LS1 RX7 , I bought a motor from Lynn Hopkins in SC (member here) an 02 with 37k ish miles on it. My friend Sabre002 (member here ,also building an LS1 rx7) is putting a cam in his motor 236/236 589 589 112 lsa (custom comp cams grind) so I have been searching the used cams for a while with somewhere close to the same specs and found this one https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/611831-fs-off-road-y-pipe-ls6-intake-mti-z1-cam-vinci-programmer.html

I pmed him , he still had the cam , he described it as mint , he shipped it and when I recieved it , opened the box and found a worn out camshaft , the first lobe so worn you can feel the pitting in it. I immediately contacted him and told him i wasnt happy . Here are the series of PM's from bottom to top................!!!!!

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Hey, just got a chance to get on here, been slammed at work. Anyways, waitin back on word from MTI to see if there is any way we can trace if that is the same cam, cuz it sure as hell does not look like the cam I sent you. I am also waiting on word back from the administrators of the board to see what I should do about the situation before I give any kind of refund. I will let you know more as soon as I find out. I do not want my buddy getting screwed here, and that's what this is looking like to me, so I will keep you informed when we hear back from MTI and the administrators of the board, I am not refunding anything till I hear back from them.
Originally Posted by Vette454
Heya

Have you looked at the cam yet??

Thanks
Paul

I had it sent to my grandmothers house cuz someone is always home to sign for ****, she called earlier and said something came in, so i'm assuming it was the cam, i'll go check it out tomorrow morn.
Heya

Just checking if you got the cam yet and what you thought about it

Thanks
Paul H.
Hey, sorry I didn't get you the address yesterday, I had one hell of a ******* day after I got off the phone with you! My alternator on my work van died, so I called my fiancee and asked her to dip out of work early to come get me cuz I was stranded, and we went home to get my trailer, load it up on the F150 and I get down the block and the truck beeps at me and is saying transmission malfunction on the dash and I got no overdrive and no reverse, and after that, it was a long day and I don't even feel like typing the rest, but yeah, yesterday sucks, I didn't get home and get to relax till like 11:30! Damn F150 is an '04 and only 46,000 miles can't ****** believe the tranny took a ****, i'm so pissed!!!!

But anyways, here's the address:

Devon X
ADDRESS
FL 33442
If you want higher res pics send me your email addy

Later
Paul
http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450018529/10.JPG

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450018529/9.JPG

The first one is the bad wear , u can see 2 pit marks that you can feel with your finger

(843) XXX-XXXX is my number if you want to call me.

Later
Paul

Okay, send me some pics when you can, I just don't want my buddy gettin screwed.
Whats your phone number so I can call you , Im not happy with the condition , There is no way you can describe this cam as mint! I will take pics and send them to you , Im not trying to pull a fast one because the cam has a serial number stamped in on the back so you can see its the same cam you sent me . Im not pulling a fast one on anyone , im really not happy with the condition of this cam. most of the lobes are fine but there are 2 with wear that i dont like. Ill get you some pics asap.

Thanks
Paul
Ok, first off, it sounds like ur tryin to pull a fast one on me, so slow down there! I sold this cam for my buddy, it was in his car for like 3000 miles tops, it's basically brand new! I just called up the other 4 guys that seen the cam when pulled out and they all confirmed that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Is it possible to send me pictures of exactly what the problems are, cuz if I give you money back and you send me back a cam that isn't the basically brand new cam I sent you, i'm not gonna be happy! I know all the numbers on that cam and will have it checked again when it is returned if you return it.
Heya

I received the cam and Im really not happy with the condition , there are 2 lobes that are badly worn , you can actually feel the pitting with your finger , that cam will eat my lifters up. I am going to return the cam to you for a refund , it is far from mint condition. Ill eat the shipping back to you. What is the adress you want me to return it to?

Thanks
Paul H.
Just came on to send ya a message and found urs, didn't get a chance to send it out yesterday, got stuck working on my day off, *******!!! But I packed it up and shipped it out this mornin, here's the tracking # - 1ZV911AZZZZZZZZZZ

They're estimated arrival time is Wed, but not guaranteed since it's the holiday.
Heya

Just checking for a progress report

Thanks
Paul
[QUOTE=Loudmouth LS1]
Ill pay with paypal If thats ok with you

Thanks
Paul
[QUOTE=Loudmouth LS1]
Do it for 250 shipped?

Thanks
Paul
[QUOTE=Loudmouth LS1]
Heya

How many miles on the cam? What condition is it in? thanks
Paul
About 3500 miles and in mint condition, my buddy is thinkin about goin solid roller, so that's why he pulled it out.
Yeah, that's fine, how do you wanna pay?
Yeah dude, that's fine, paypal address is:

name@aol.com

Just send me a full mailing address with the payment and i'll ship it out tomorrow since i'm off work for the day and have nothing better to do, hehehe!!!
I feel Im getting screwed , He says it doesnt look like the cam he sent me after telling me on the phone that he didnt get a good look at it before he shipped it. Not sure what to do next. The cam has MTi Z1 stamped on it and a serial number , its the same damn cam he sent me for petes sake!!!!

Geez!

Last edited by GEARHED; 12-30-2006 at 11:18 PM. Reason: delete personal information - read the rules of posting in member feedback
Old 12-30-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

You obviously don't listen very well, b/c on the phone I said I took a quick look over the cam before I sent it and everything looked good! This is very noticeable and I would have seen it. Also, the guys that pulled that cam out of the car said as well that there was nothing wrong with it and they thoroughly inspected it. Two of those guys are the guys that built my motor, so they are no dummies! We can not contact MTI till they reopen to see if they have any record of the number stamped on the side to see if it's the one my buddy bought, but that cam had only 3000 or so miles on it and was mint! I feel that we are the ones getting screwed here, that you or ur buddy had an MTI Z1 cam in a motor that had some issues and are tryin to get a freebie and screw us and that is the cam you sent me! I have pm'd PSJ about the situation and am waiting back on advice from him. I have not broken contact with you and am just trying to cover all the bases to try and keep my buddy from gettin screwed out of money and a cam! If we can not get any proof from MTI that that is not the cam we sent you (our fault for not taking pictures and writing down numbers or marking it in some way), then my buddy will probably agree to refund the money. Till then you are just going to have to be patient.

[QUOTE=Vette454]I am in the process of building a LS1 RX7 , I bought a motor from Lynn Hopkins in SC (member here) an 02 with 37k ish miles on it. My friend Sabre002 (member here ,also building an LS1 rx7) is putting a cam in his motor 236/236 589 589 112 lsa (custom comp cams grind) so I have been searching the used cams for a while with somewhere close to the same specs and found this one https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611831

I pmed him , he still had the cam , he described it as mint , he shipped it and when I recieved it , opened the box and found a worn out camshaft , the first lobe so worn you can feel the pitting in it. I immediately contacted him and told him i wasnt happy . Here are the series of PM's from bottom to top................!!!!!

Hey, just got a chance to get on here, been slammed at work. Anyways, waitin back on word from MTI to see if there is any way we can trace if that is the same cam, cuz it sure as hell does not look like the cam I sent you. I am also waiting on word back from the administrators of the board to see what I should do about the situation before I give any kind of refund. I will let you know more as soon as I find out. I do not want my buddy getting screwed here, and that's what this is looking like to me, so I will keep you informed when we hear back from MTI and the administrators of the board, I am not refunding anything till I hear back from them.

I feel Im getting screwed , He says it doesnt look like the cam he sent me after telling me on the phone that he didnt get a good look at it before he shipped it. Not sure what to do next. The cam has MTi Z1 stamped on it and a serial number , its the same damn cam he sent me for petes sake!!!!

Geez!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to invade your post, but can i get lynn hopkins name on here, i believe it was him i got soem parts from a while back on ebay and i was VERY satisfied with everything
Old 12-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thats fine , I will be patient till you hear from MTI , I sure hope they can tack that serial number and youll see Im telling the truth!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i pulled that cam out. it was basically brand new! the guys car i worked on had it in there no more then 6000 miles and i was the one who put it in originally.i think he didn't even make it to an oil change before we pulled it out! he saw how much difference a cam made on his 382 and wanted to go bigger right after we put it in. this cam was seen buy the owner, me and Brianc. it had no wear pattern on it at all. it can be a mti cam and the same type of cam but maybe not be the one Loudmouth sent. so he is going to call MTI and get the info he needs to make a determination on the cam. he said he got the cam back and it looked like it was in a car for awhile and it was covered with lint. that sort of wierd considering it went from the motor straight to the box.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Covered with lint?? I opened it , inspected it and repackaged it in the exact same packaging he sent it to me in. If it had lint on it then it cam from Devon that way. I took those pictures in my post that I sent to devon before I taped it all back up , thats exactly how it looked . I sure hope they can trace it.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Obvious pitting... Without numbers how are you guys going to prove its not the right one? I feel you guys are trying to hide something by doing this. Why did you feel the need to tell the guy your life story? I am sure he only cares about his cam. I'd say you should make this right. I don't see someone having a cam like that just looking for someone to sell them one so they could refund a worse condition one.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Obvious pitting... Without numbers how are you guys going to prove its not the right one? I feel you guys are trying to hide something by doing this. Why did you feel the need to tell the guy your life story? I am sure he only cares about his cam. I'd say you should make this right. I don't see someone having a cam like that just looking for someone to sell them one so they could refund a worse condition one.
it has a serial number on the cam from MTI... people have been known to swap cams out. i am sure you heard about that before.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION WAS REMOVED. DO NOT RESTORE THAT INFORMATION. DATES OF PM'S WOULD HELP.

Inital post edited so it wouldn't hurt my brain trying to scroll side to side to read it. Please try using "Preview Post" before submitting with quotes.

and you all were doing just fine in pm........
Old 12-31-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GEARHED
and you all were doing just fine in pm........
Exactly, there was no need for this thread.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Well let's see, cuz I told the guy I was going to get on the comp that day and send him my mailing address (which I don't understand why he couldn't just look at the return address, but whatever) and I didn't get a chance too cuz of a really bad set of events that happened throughout the day and I always do what I say i'm gonna do, so I let him know what happened as to why I didn't send it, don't see what's wrong their or even the relevance. As for the cam, people have done it before, there are a lot of scumbags in this world, i'm tryin to cover all the bases to make sure my buddy don't get screwed!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

First of all I fail to see how it is Paul’s fault that you did not cover your own ***, by at least looking at the cam yourself that you were posting up for sale. Then you neglected to take pictures of it or even write down the serial number. Second you describe a used cam as being mint I’m sorry but a new cam is mint not a used one. Next your story keeps changing on the miles with the cam. It went from 3500 to 3000 then to 6000. Quit dragging this out longer then it needs to be and accusing Paul and I of switching out a cam on you I have been in the FL keys and just caught wind of this yesterday. I still have my Comp cam in fact it is in my motor right now so I assure you it was not switched for my cam. My cam is not even a MTI can so it would be blatantly noticeable that it was not the same. Just stop making it seem like you are avoiding having the cam number checked and getting the refund in order.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sabre002
First of all I fail to see how it is Paul’s fault that you did not cover your own ***, by at least looking at the cam yourself that you were posting up for sale. Then you neglected to take pictures of it or even write down the serial number. Second you describe a used cam as being mint I’m sorry but a new cam is mint not a used one. Next your story keeps changing on the miles with the cam. It went from 3500 to 3000 then to 6000. Quit dragging this out longer then it needs to be and accusing Paul and I of switching out a cam on you I have been in the FL keys and just caught wind of this yesterday. I still have my Comp cam in fact it is in my motor right now so I assure you it was not switched for my cam. My cam is not even a MTI can so it would be blatantly noticeable that it was not the same. Just stop making it seem like you are avoiding having the cam number checked and getting the refund in order.
did someone say they switched it with your cam?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

If you switched out the lifters when you changed the cam , if you still have them around please check them - with that much pitting on the cam there should be noticable wear on at least 2 of the lifters too.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Launching!

I have a .595/.595 236/236 115 cam if you need something close. $200 Low miles

I ran 10.9@131mph in my rx7 with it.

Mike
Old 12-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mas280
I have a .595/.595 236/236 115 cam if you need something close. $200 Low miles

I ran 10.9@131mph in my rx7 with it.

Mike
Thanks for the offer bro , Im ordering a new custom grind from comp cams.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sabre002
First off, why don't you all quit with the ******* drama, i'm getting sick of it, shut up already! I said 3000ish, I don't know the exact #, it was around 3000, I never said 6000, don't know where ur gettin that ****, but regardless, it had very low miles on it! And I did look at the cam before I sent it out, and it looked perfect, I took a quick look over it, I didn't inspect it for 5 hours, but took a quick look and it was immaculate, I didn't think I would have to cover my *** on anything cuz there was nothing wrong with the cam and I guess since i'm not a ******* scumbag I don't think like one and worry about having to cover my *** from people like that! This is obviously getting nowhere, so please just shut up and wait till we can get in touch with MTI, i'm getting tired of you guys and ur drama!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

The last two posts can be in pm. Please edit them out.

Yes, I know you want to help but this is not the section for posting for sale items.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLUEBALLS ZZ
did someone say they switched it with your cam?
yes it was implyed that paul had a friend switch cams with him and I have been referenced and a friend I was covering my ***.

i pulled that cam out. it was basically brand new! the guys car i worked on had it in there no more then 6000 miles and i was the one who put it in originally.
this was posted by the guy who actualy pulled the cam.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

np.

we will wait for the outcome until tuesday.

mti closed tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Getting the shaft on a camshaft!!!!!