Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

RULES for using the Classifieds Forums - How to keep from getting ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation RULES for using the Classifieds Forums - How to keep from getting ripped off

I bring this to you as a federal investigator, that has been ripped off, and wasn't able to do anything about it. Imagine being in law enforcement and not being able to do anything!

If your the seller: Use paypal! Yes paypal is not a perfect system, but if you ship to confirmed address and use delivery confirmation, and do not charge a paypal surcharge you stand a good chance of getting your money back if someone claims they didn't recieve a package. I just had a 1696 dollar refund. It took 74 days but I got my money back! Also when using paypal don't accept credit card payments through paypal, Credit Card companies have built in fraud systems in place that make it hard to dispute their cardholders claims. Discover card is the worst. ( I am not knocking Discover, I am just stating that they have good fraud protection, as a cardholder this is great. As a merchant trying to get your scammed money back it is aweful! They take care of their cardholders, even the dishonest ones. In this situation it dosent hurt to call the loss and prevention team and give them your side of the story. They will most of the time record this conversation and use it to help factor their refund, and or reversal. Paypal is a middleman for money, but if a customer uses a credit card, paypal is bound by the credit card companies policies, which means they have to instantly refund the money if their is a dispute and the credit card company has 74 days to make a judgement for you or their scammer!If you receive money orders, give many days until they clear before you ship! Postal money orders are showing up counterfeit more and more. If you ship before it clears you can and will eat it if it is counterfeit.

If you are the buyer: Purchase postal money orders if you don't have paypal. Make copies of the money order stub, and the shipping label, itemize what is in the envelope as payment for goods and list the goods. Also keep all records of coraspondance albeit it mail or telephone, dates times etc.. Use overnight or second day, or at least some type of registered mail. If a postal money order is cashed and goods are not recieved, you can file a claim with the post office. The post office has federal agents that carry guns that will bust thiefs, and have full arrest authority, and they will even do stakeouts and pose as mailmen when delivering packages once someone is under investigation!

Here are the procedures for filing complaints. First and foremost file a complaint with your local PD, that has juristiction in your area you live. Take copies of the above mentioned items. Second call the PD where the package was sent to, and file a police report. Also you can go to the Website for the FBI internet fraud investigations. I beleive it is called ice, but i'm not sure. I had varying effects when doing all these things, but it has helped sometimes. Alot of it has to do with the PD"S and policies dealing with internet and fraud.

My 1696 dollars scam, started when I took a paypal payment for a shipment. I shipped to a confirmed address and didn't charge a surcharge, I also used delivery confirmation, but the shipper didn;t get a signiture. (YOu must request signiture!!!!, the buyer laughed in my face on the phone, stating he recieved my package, but since it wasnt signed for, he was going to get his money back. I Kept all records of phone conversations. I transcribed not recorded! (This work in some states, but in some you can get in trouble for recording conversations!) I called the cardholders company (discover) and explained what the customer had said. I called the shippers loss and prevention and it was cleared through the driver that the package had been in fact delivered. It was his first stop of the day, and he took the loss and prevention team back to the house, without directions! I know all of this is alot, but it is hard to lose your mechandise, especially 1696 dollars worth. I hope some of this helps. I can't promise that it will work for you, but it definatly got me my money back, and might help some of you.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Good post, I'll make it stick.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Exclamation RULES for using the Classifieds Forums

Failure to follow these rules may result in your threads being locked, deleted, or moved. Depending on the severity of your actions, or frequency of your actions, your user account could be suspended or banned.

FRAUD & RISK. Buy and Sell at your own risk. LS1TECH and its staff are not responsible if someone rips you off or doesn't send parts out in a timely manner. This classifieds section is a free service for the community, and it is YOUR responsibility to handle all transactions in a low-risk method. DO NOT contact us if there is a dispute between you and someone else, we are NOT INVOLVED. You can help minimize fraud risk by doing these suggestions:

Last edited by GEARHED; 04-10-2007 at 04:42 AM.
              Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
              TECH Veteran

Additon to a great post:
              When buying a part have the seller send pictures with serial or model numbers clearly visible or any marker of any kind ensures what you received/purchase is what was advertised for sale by the seller.
              It can let you know if the item was damaged in shipping or sent in damaged condition.

Quantify "slightly used/1,000 miles" with the seller. Everyone has their own version of what "used" means so make that clear before buying an item for sale.

Use additonal packing on all items. Use double walled cardboard boxes that are new and not from the back of the liquor store bin. If you are going to sell something then protect yourself by packing it properly especially with the holiday shipping season.
              Place an additional sheet of paper taped to the item with the delivery address in case the box is torn up in shipping. Labels DO come off.

Insure all packages letting the buyer know if that is an additional fee. If using USPS send it Certified, Register Return Recipt or Express. All other methods of shipping through USPS are untraceable!!!

Have a clear understanding if the item can be returned and for what reasons. Seller may not tell you "as is" until after you receive the item but you may have thought differently.
              Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM
              FormerVendor

if you want help go to this web site!!

http://www.ic3.gov/

MODERATOR EDIT:
              That site is for reporting "internet fraud". If you have all documentation and a valid case, it may be checked into. Considering the volume of reports they get where specifics are left out and only ranting is left in, it may take a very long time before there is anything they may do.

-Be specific
              -Have all relative documents in hand
              -Verbal agreements are not given consideration
              -Have all contact information of the person you dealt with (no, they will not look up "John Doe in Big City, USA" for you)
              -Use that site wisely and with all due discretion
              -Be prepared to send all documentation to an address if you are contacted to investigate a claim

It is a very different method of reporting internet fraud so use it wisely.
              GEARHED EDIT

Last edited by GEARHED; 01-28-2007 at 05:54 PM.
              Old 03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
              TECH Veteran

UPDATE 3/12/09

It seems http://www.ic3.gov/ has been referring more of the "smaller" complaints to your local police department most likely from abuse by many people. Sad to say but unless you have a claim against a licensed business or numerous sales in succession they do not have the manpower to handle all incoming complaints.

Exhaust all other options before filing with them. It may take time to do that on your end but once you have done all you can, the complaint may be taken more seriously by ic3.

MODERATOR EDIT:
              That site is for reporting "internet fraud". If you have all documentation and a valid case, it may be checked into. Considering the volume of reports they get where specifics are left out and only ranting is left in, it may take a very long time before there is anything they may do.

-Be specific
              -Have all relative documents in hand
              -Verbal agreements are not given consideration
              -Have all contact information of the person you dealt with (no, they will not look up "John Doe in Big City, USA" for you)
              -Use that site wisely and with all due discretion
              -Be prepared to send all documentation to an address if you are contacted to investigate a claim

It is a very different method of reporting internet fraud so use it wisely.
              GEARHED EDIT[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: RULES for using the Classifieds Forums - How to keep from getting ripped off