Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: old camaro

ehh, im kinda goin for the show look on my new camaro and prolly power on the old one which the expenses will be split since it will be a father-son project. as for money now i am makin over $11/hr wit about 25-35hrs a week and college is paid for in my grandfathers will for either computer programming or aviation as he saw those were my 2 ambitions growing up so he wanted me doin wut i really wanted w/o worrin bout money...
Old 09-19-2003, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

That's cool, man. Nothing wrong with getting a little help from the folks. Like Darren said, I think the kids that have everything handed to them are just hurting themselves. I know people like that and they treat their property with no respect..cause they know that if they lose that diamond earring(for example), Mommy and Daddy will just buy a new pair.

But I think Cowboy's case is a little different. As long as he knows what it's like to work hard and save money...and knows that if anything happens(outside of an insurance claim), it won't be easily replaced, I think he's OK. Also, he said insurance CAN'T be under his own name for now...so insurance won't be as high. But even if the folks help with that, big deal. It's not like he rollin in a BMW M3 that mom and dad gave to him as a 17th B-Day present....

And go for the '72. I think it's great that you want to build a car with your dad. I wish i had done something like that w/ my dad growing up. Can't ever go back and do that stuff again, so take advantage now.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

its good to spen your own money the way you see fit cuz only you can really appreciate what you earned
Old 09-19-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

so tru, i drive up to school and i see a kid with an escalade and another with a navigator and then some have the high end wrx sti and one kid has porsche carrera, not a boxster. and its sad cuz they openly admit to havin their parents buyy their cars, they think its cool when other kids in school just think they r fools, i am glad i have learned how to appreciate money, but i DO regret gettin a high end comp and MAYBE even getting the camaro a lil early in life, but u learn things when ur young so you DONT screw up when ur on ur own!
Old 09-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Teching In

I agree with darrensformula i am 22 still living with my folks and have a 98 ta 440 a month for the car 644 month for insurance. These ls1 car are expensive to own I did it all by my self it took two years to build up enough credit to get a 22,000 dollar loan . No way in hell a kid still in high school did that with out help you dont have enough time on your hands yet. I can believe you got a 3rg gen or even an early 4th gen but a ls1.98 ta a4 slp lm & whisper lid,ls6 intake,3.42 1985 ta zz4 crate tpi 410gears
Old 09-21-2003, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

how the hell do you pay 644 a month for insurance, I think you need to change companies fast! BTW Im 24 and pay about $1,300 a year on my 00 TA
Old 09-21-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

i pay under a grand right now since im under parents in insurance and car but i looked for wut it was when i went off by myself it is 6g a year
Old 09-23-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

i am 17, and ot my chevelle as a graduation present. it was 5k. i paid 1500. now i gotta dump a shitload more into it, as it needs a whole new engine. beware of what u r getting urself into here, its easy as **** to get in waaaaaaaaay over ur head. then the car ends up sitting forever, or being sold to finance another project. i personally would not go for more than 1 car at a time. yes, i have more than one car, but my truck is a strict daily driver, and i will soon downgrade to a beater so i can save gas money. enjoy the camaro, but like i said, watch out, cause old cars are nothin but moneypits. thats the price to be kool.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

man some of you guys need to lay off the hateorade. geesh.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-24-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

im 16 i paid for my car it only has 15000 miles on it and i work my *** off. i think many of todays teenagers are placed under a bad sterotype just because they are defaced by the bad ones.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

im 16 i paid for my car it only has 15000 miles on it and i work my *** off. i think many of todays teenagers are placed under a bad sterotype just because they are defaced by the bad ones.
I don't think it's a matter of bad ones defacing good ones. I tried to hold this back but here goes nothing.

At 16 years old you should have one year driving experience and probably didn't drive every day. As a teenager you feel immortal. Teenagers also tend to feel a need to prove themselves so the temptation to race on the street when another fast car pulls up may be too difficult for most to resist. Factor all that with a 300+ HP car and you have a dangerous combonation.

I don't blame any 16 year old with a fast car for driving it. I blame thier parents for letting them have it. You can not expect most teens with a LS1 not to race it. Racing that fast of a car with such little driving experience is flirting with disaster. I have a 15 year old daughter in drivers ED right now. I have made it painfully clear to her that she will not be driving the Formula. We have a V6 Eagle Vision ESI that she can use to learn with. When the time comes we'll help her buy a cavalier or something economical and safe.

Now we might consider helping her get a used V6 camaro/firebird if she can afford it. That way she can have the looks of the f-body. She would still have enough power to have fun but not enough to be dangerous. As a responsible parent I can not allow my child access to a car that can go from 0-105 in 13.5 seconds. I love my daughter too much to give her a gun to shoot herself with.

Most 16 or 17 year olds with a 20K + sportscar has it because thier parents were nieve and believed thier child would never race it, drive like a moron or let a friend race it/drive like a moron in it. Now once and a while one will be correct. The other 99 will be conned and hopefully never receive the dreaded phone call from a police station or hospital.

And I don't care what job you have or how long you saved your lawn mowing money. If the car is purchased on someone elses credit and in thier name then it's not your car. Maybe some day it'll become your car but not today. If you do something real stupid and get your parents so angry they want to punish you real bad they can take your keys and sell the car. It does not matter how much of the downpayment was your money because if it's in thier name they can do it.

Believe me I know because I lost my first car that way. They used it as a trade in for my sisters new car. I was a teen once and I have a teenage daughter so I see that not much has changed other then clothes and music. 90% of teens that are working work at a mall, fast food, stock rooms, ect. Most are part timers and under $10 an hour. So most that are claiming they own a car worth $15-100,000 either got is as a gift, have a very rare and hard to get high paying teenager qualified job or are a teen idol of some sort.

The rest of them have a father, mother or sibling with a fast expensive car who allow them to drive it sometimes. This then turns into them claiming it's thiers. I'm not accusing any one here of that but you'd be surprised how many kids at my daughters HS think she has a 99 Formula that is hers when she turns 16.

My point is don't believe everything you read and it's not a personal attack to anyone here but at 16 & 17 your just too young and inexperienced for such a powerful car. You may never have tradgedy strike and I hope to god you don't but your chances of it are much higher with a Z28 then with a chevy blazer or cavalier.

Ok flame away.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

And I don't care what job you have or how long you saved your lawn mowing money. If the car is purchased on someone elses credit and in thier name then it's not your car. Maybe some day it'll become your car but not today. If you do something real stupid and get your parents so angry they want to punish you real bad they can take your keys and sell the car. It does not matter how much of the downpayment was your money because if it's in thier name they can do it.
i know u said it wasnt a personal attack, but i am just pointing out that in apost i had earlier i didmention that my parents signed a legally binding contract with me for the car with certain rules outlined in it as to wut they can and cant do
Old 09-26-2003, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

[/quote]

i know u said it wasnt a personal attack, but i am just pointing out that in apost i had earlier i didmention that my parents signed a legally binding contract with me for the car with certain rules outlined in it as to wut they can and cant do

[/quote]

Odds are you have nothing to worry about. Most parents will stand by thier word and not do anything that drastic butt this is still possible:

1). if that contract was just something typed up and signed by you and your parents in your house then it may or may not be considered a legal document. It would depend on the county and judge I suppose.

2). If the document was created by a lawyer and noterized (Probably misspelled that word but I'm too lazy to dig out the dictionary) then it is definately legal butt....

Even if it is 100% legal and binding there is still a possible scenario that could happen. Lets say you get accused of selling drugs in school. You don't even have to be guilty, lets say it was someone else and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now lets say your folks would not believe your innocense and in the heat of anger took your keys.

They can take the car (it's in thier name) and trade it in or sell it to carmax outright. They can do it even if thier is a legal contract because that means nothing to the dealership. Now after they sell it you can get a lawer, sue your parents for a $$$ amount and with a legal contract you should win a settlement.

But your car is still gone. Point is stay on thier good side and please be careful out there on the roads.

Good luck with the project car. I too wish I could have done something like that with my dad who passed on 5 years ago.