Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deep and throaty, LM2 vs. magnaflow + cutout

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deep and throaty, LM2 vs. magnaflow + cutout

first of all, the previous owner THINKS the previous-previous owner installed a magnaflow catback, but he lost the paperwork or forgot or somehow otherwise flaked out.

so i have hooker supercomps 1-7/8" lt headers, pacesetter ORY, and what i think is a magnaflow cat back at something less than 3". it's cutout is right before it enters the muffler.

right now it sounds (to me) like ***. mind you, it has a cold (burning oil, ring problem) but it sounds really thin and metallic, raspy, drones etc. with the cutout capped it isn't as bad but it still sounds thin and weak.

of course this is compared to my buddy's procharged/ground cam/LM2 setup. his car sounds SO deep and SO clean it's amazing. at WOT it just roars. some of this sound owes itself to the procharger right? does the rest of it owe itself to the LM2?

my question is, say i ditch the unidentified catback i have now and set it up with a LM2. is the LM2 bullet and larger pipe diameter going to deepen and clean up the exhaust note? or is it just my ORY?

i've read a lot about what causes rasp and droniness, but his car still has rasp, it's just moved down in the rpm range and it's muffled. it sounds fine. i don't get it. both have LTs and ORYs.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

The Magnaflow muffler will have there name stamped into it if it is there catback. I personally think Magnaflow is one of the best sounding setups out there. I would get rid of the cutout unless your going for sound. The Magnaflow wont hurt your performance IMO. It's more of a sound preference. I love the sound of my car with magnaflow catted y-pipe and Catback.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want rasp get a LM2 with your headers. Sounds great with stock mannys but LM2 + headers sucks IMO.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

the lm2 is not that bad...far better than the lm1
Old 11-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Teching In

i think i am going to get a TD setup dumped before the axle. i've heard dynomax bullets are good, and slp's bullets? i want what everyone else wants, a balance between good flow and good sound... TDs flow the best, they eliminate MOST rasp, and with some decent bullets and good craftsmanship i should get exactly what i'm looking for.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I have pacesetters, ORY, and LM2. Anything above 2500 rpm's is rasp, and I absolutely love it. haha. As for Magnaflow i've heard nothing but good reviews about their sound. Most of the rasp comes from the Pacesetter ORY anyway not the catback.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

td are the only way to go. i have no rasp at all and sounds great with magnaflow 15in bullets
Old 11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Default Prove it!

Originally Posted by 2000nbmZ
td are the only way to go. i have no rasp at all and sounds great with magnaflow 15in bullets
Do you have any sound clips of this setup?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

lm should only be on cars with just a catback anything else and it is just freaking loud annoying and raspy as hell. at least thats what mine sounds like.lol