New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for new car soon

Old 09-23-2003, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for new car soon

Hey everyone, I am really new to this forum and I am currently not an owner of an Ls1 car. My last F-body was an 86 T/A with TPI 305 H.O. for an engine. I loved that car, but too many probs with it. My uncle has it now. Anyway, make a long story short, I am currently deployed in the Air Force and I am looking for a car when I get home. Trouble is whether to go for a 97ish 'vette or a 2000 or newer T/A WS6. Any input on mods and stuff, advantages/ disadvantages would be greatly appreciated. I want the M6 of course and I am 22 years old. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:34 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Looking for new car soon

i'd go for the vette if possible, im not up to speed on problems or issues with the 97 c5's but a vette is a vette

for either ls1, a good place to start is an air induction system; lid, filter, cai on the fbod. and a good cat back for both too.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the advice jrp, and I really do want the vette. Depending on insurance costs, I will take it over the T/A.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A newer F-body with minimal money will eat a stock Corvette. But then a vette is hard to pass up. Speed with looks or expensive speed with looks
that is the question?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Just my opinion, but I am a believer in not buying the first year of any new platform like the '97 vette. Let the other guy be the guinea pig Not knocking the 97's, but there were some problems as I recall - plus some improvements have been made since then. I would suggest checking recalls, etc., and make sure that any 97 vette that you look at has had the recall work done.
If it were me and I was given the choice of a 97 vette or a 2001+ F-body, I'd definitely take the F-body (note that with the 2001 you get the better clutch/hydraulics, LS6 intake, etc., that's why I say 2001+ instead of 2000+).
Old 09-28-2003, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must agree, too many things have been tweeked since the debut of the new Vette. To be honest when you buy a Corvette, you are getting a piece of american history. That in it's self is an awsome feeling, but when you buy an F-BODY, you are buying the heart and soul of the Amercan dream, think about it, with the exeption of a Ford
Mustang, the F-bodies are the last of the PONY CARS(a dieing breed) . It was the pony cars that invoked the drag racing scene, the pissing contests on the road,the whole GM vs.Ford& Mopar. If I remember correctly, all through the 70's the big thing was Camaro's and Trans Ams and again all through the 80's it was the same thing. The only difference is different trim. It was, people were after the Iroc Z's and GTA's. And as much as I hate to admit it, Mustangs were booming then too. They are American heritage. Corvette is an awesome car and I'm not taking anything away from it. As much as it gets a lot of respect from me, it doesn't harness the American aura that the pony cars did due to the fact that the limited clientele of the Corvette was for people with a bigger wallet. The pony cars on the other hand was something everyone could afford and take a little piece of the American dream with them. Just my thoughts. As long as Corvette lives, we'll always have a true sports car but with the F-bodies gone, now you have a very difficult part of American heritage to obtain. Get one while you still can. You'll wish you had.

Search this Thread