Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another stupid question

Ok guys. Would i gain more horsepower by running straight headers so there isnt any restriction in air flow? I know it might be stupid question, but im debating going that direction. Im not really worried about cops pulling me over. Considering the town i live in has... maybe half a cop? lol
Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't recomend it. There isn't much to gain if at all. I moved my car around with open headers when I was doing my exhaust and it is insanely loud. Also the car felt like it was going to vibrate apart. If any thing get a X pipe and some turn downs and get some gains from the scavenging effects of the X pipe.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

so would it be better to turn down an xpipe than to run a full exhaust system?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all about money really, more pipe=more money. there wont really be any difference between a dumped x other than sound maybe.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With running open headers you have no backpressure.... which will result in a horrible take off... without backpressure, you have no scavenging in the exhaust.... at least run an x pip with true duals and turndowns...
Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll quickly F up the front o2's.

You might as well sell your stereo too cause you won't need it anymore
Old 12-16-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SweetSolace
so would it be better to turn down an xpipe than to run a full exhaust system?
I just suggested that because I thought you wanted it to be very loud, and the x with turn downs would be very loud and make you a little extra hp. If it were me I would run it all the way to the back, but like said above more $$. I also like the look of the 2 pipes under the bumber.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
You might as well sell your stereo too cause you won't need it anymore
Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Staging Lane

im not selling my system, it cost me more than the car did :O
Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetSolace
im not selling my system, it cost me more than the car did :O
as others said.. you wont need no bumpity bump man..

if you dont have a cam it isnt that bad.. if you have a cam.... hahahahaha, "WHAT DID YOU SAY I CANT HEAR YOU" "HOLD ON LET ME TURN MY CAR OFF" "WHAT" "WHAT" "WHAT" "WHAT" "WHAT" "WHAT".. hahahaha..

but back on topic... you will fry your o2s.. and that will get expensive REAL fast... i drove mine with open headers for about a 4 days and my o2s were gone..
not to mention i had to wear cotton ***** in my ears it was so insanely loud, and still if i drove for more than 10 minutes i had a headache and my ears rang for an hour after i got out.. and EVERYTHING rattled, rear view mirror fell off countless times..

no reason to run open headers.. its stupid, and sounds like ****..

i have LT's into X-pipe with 1 chamber race flowmasters.. its half as loud as open headers on the inside, but just as loud on the outside..
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531115.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531024.flv

if you want loud.. then go with an xpipe and a set of bullets.. you can get a used setup like that for 200-250..

it cost me 400 for my complete exhaust setup.. 200 for the xpipe and 200 for the mufflers.. all brand new..
Old 12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

I bet open headers was fun with an ms4 cam...lol.

You want equalization in the pipes too, or my understanding. No back pressure, but scavenging. Run some extensions off the collectors, run an X or H pipe, and dump it there if you want. If you want it quiter in the cabin, run exhaust all the way back.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure you understand just how loud it's going to be running open headers or an x-pipe with turndowns. If you really feel the need to do this, at least go with e-cutouts and a full (normal) exhaust.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I bet open headers was fun with an ms4 cam...lol.
i think me and you may have different meanings of fun.. hahahahha...

man, it was TERRIBLE... it was the only thing i had to drive so i had no choice...
with no exaggeration, i literally had a heachache for those 4 days.. i had the cops called on me 3 times (normal driving).. i had friends tell me that lived in random parts of my town that their parents would be screaming at a wall and asking why someone would have a car like that and then ask them if they knew who it was.. haha..

not to mention it sounded like *** at idle.. sounded 100 times better with exhaust... but when i threw revs at people, ... hahahhaa.. scared the **** out of countless people.. haha

IT SUCKED!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

hahahaa, sorry for long response...

just when i think about it, it almost pisses me off.. hahahaa..

it sucked so bad..
Old 12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

you do not want to do that...I have cutouts a couple feet behind the collectors and I went for a little drive the other day open, after about an hour I was getting a headache and ears were kinda tingling...could barely hear the stereo system and it sounded like **** because the exhaust had messed up which frequencies I could hear
Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
hahahaa, sorry for long response...

just when i think about it, it almost pisses me off.. hahahaa..

it sucked so bad..
I was being sarcastic lol. I know that **** would suck. I ran a guy once that had open headers with a STOCK cam, and JESUS! My ears were like bleading after that race. I could do it maybe a day or two, until I got it to the shop and have my exhaust made. I will be doing this in a month or so though lol.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha drove mine today open headers to the exhaust shop, and yea... everything rattled, it was loud, and it scared the **** out of people when i blipped the throttle. Tons of fun, but I couldnt DD it like that. Wish i could make it that loud again with the flip of a switch to put the fear of God in people... and dont tell me cutout, cause i got one and its still not half as loud as open headers LOL.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I was being sarcastic lol. I know that **** would suck. I ran a guy once that had open headers with a STOCK cam, and JESUS! My ears were like bleading after that race. I could do it maybe a day or two, until I got it to the shop and have my exhaust made. I will be doing this in a month or so though lol.
haha, yea.. ive heard a stock cam with open headers and its NOTHING like one with a good sized cam..
i had to do it for like 3-4 days until the exhaust shop opened back up.. we finished the swap on a friday.. exhaust shop opened monday... it sucked.

Originally Posted by 406malibu
haha drove mine today open headers to the exhaust shop, and yea... everything rattled, it was loud, and it scared the **** out of people when i blipped the throttle. Tons of fun, but I couldnt DD it like that. Wish i could make it that loud again with the flip of a switch to put the fear of God in people... and dont tell me cutout, cause i got one and its still not half as loud as open headers LOL.
yea it is fun... and i wish i could do it every once in a while.. for about 10 minutes, just for the hell of it.. but you cant DD a car like that, its just stupid..

and no i agree with you.. a cutout is NOT the same as straight open dumped headers.. no where near the same!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Open headers sound cool for the first day, then they get annoying IMO...
Also you might lose low end torque because lack of back pressure & your o2s won't like it.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Open headers sound cool for the first day, then they get annoying IMO...
Also you might lose low end torque because lack of back pressure & your o2s won't like it.
are cool for about 5 minutes you mean.. haha