New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 gurus....mileage questions......????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 gurus....mileage questions......????

I have the opportunity to pick up a mint condition 98 T/A decently cheap, the catch is the mileage on the frame. That number sits right above 125k. Yes, its quite a bit. Especially for a '98. The body is in perfect condition, no sign of repairs, the interior is perfect. The engine and tranny have 48k miles on them(were replaced outright). SPEC clutch with little wear on it. My question is, considering I am planning on replacing the rear end completely(eventually) and will rebuild just about everything else, what kind of effect will the mileage have on the frame? I know these cars can run for many miles but I haven't heard of too many 100K plus 4th Gens out there. Any Input would be appreciated!! TIA.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:14 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS1 gurus....mileage questions......????

Wow my car is a 99 and only has 40 thousand miles on it ... that is a lot of miles for a 5 year old car.

Personally, I would say it is fine, and you should go for it (depending on how cheap "cheap" is, comparitively). I would definately put some money into new suspension, rear end, and other wearables, however. I am sure the frame will last basically indefinately (compared to how long the parts will) ... as long as it is kept up correctly ... ie, no rust or corrosion on it.

Old 09-28-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Tell you what, i have a 2000 Z28, driven daily just rolled over 110K.
I can guarentee that to look @ it,drive it, ride in it, you could not tell!
Then again, i am a little **** with it. I maintain it constantly.
This car has virtually no rattles & it is lowered. I bought the car new in Dec of 99 & have driven it every day ever since. I say if you like the car, it's a good price, don't let that mileage scare you. these are great cars!!
My .02....
Old 09-28-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yea I would go of the engine mileage and 48k isn't bad so what if the frame has 125k
Old 09-28-2003, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

I look at it this way: If a newer car has really high mileage, the only way for the mileage to get so high is to drive it on the highway A LOT. That's a good thing. Most of those 128K miles are probably on smooth, straight roads.
And 40K + on the engine isn't too bad either. I would just run a carfax or something and make sure the car was never wrecked. Otherwise, I would think that the only things that need to be changed are the things you already mentioned.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:03 AM

I look at it this way: If a newer car has really high mileage, the only way for the mileage to get so high is to drive it on the highway A LOT. That's a good thing. Most of those 128K miles are probably on smooth, straight roads.
And 40K + on the engine isn't too bad either. I would just run a carfax or something and make sure the car was never wrecked. Otherwise, I would think that the only things that need to be changed are the things you already mentioned.
Yep ... most likely the guy before you had a real long commute to work.

As I said before, I would go for it, especially with the relatively new engine and tranny. I would definately toss some money into the wearables, and check the frame for any rust or damage, as I had said before.

Old 09-29-2003, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys, you're confirming what i originally thought. the suspension has been completely rebuilt in the past 15k miles, as has the rear-end(i talked to the previous owner today). apparently he bought the car w/119k on it, started to totally build the car up, got about halfway through(stock engine, most everything else is rebuilt or replaced), and something happened to him that required him to sell his car. the lady before it drove it to louisiana apparently constantly(from the dallas fort worth area) and hence the insane miles. i feel much better knowing your car is up there too, Pewter....and looks so damn good lol. LG does some amazing work, no? anyhow i think thats who i'll end up going with for my engine work regardless of the car i buy. and decently cheap is 13k, including a copy of ls1 tied to the vin, the nos setup on it, and all the upgrades. also has a brand new set of kuhmo ecsta supra's on it, wrapping LG rims(G2 style). am kinda hesitant at that price for those miles......but the price is inflexible. any last thoughts fellas? sorry for the length. tia!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:03 AM

I think you might be able to get one with less miles for less then that.
There is a black/black M6 TA with like 65,000 miles at one of the dealers close by me. The window price was $12,995. After hearing everything you have said, however, the car you're looking at might be great for that price, due to the fact most of it has been rebuilt. Like I said, just go there and check out the frame, if that looks okay, and it runs good, I would say go for it. Definately don't settle on it because of the price, however, as you can find 98's with lower milage for around that same price.

Good luck either way.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd try and get the price lower, the mods dont greatly increase the value of the car and its a buyers market when it comes to fbodies. i bought my 98 z28 in july w/93k for 10k and spent a few grand onmods
Old 09-30-2003, 07:59 PM

Yeah it is definately a buyers market ... if your planning on getting one, do it in the fall or winter, since prices are lower then they are during the spring / summer.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys....i've already pretty much decided against that car. i've found a few others that are in much lower mileage brackets for a couple thousand more. i appreciate all the input, never thought it was run this far lol. i've already started lookin at upgrades.....lids/catback/shifter to start with. this will be my second f-body, first stick. i have a pretty good idea which route i'd like to go...just can't decide whether i want to do super or turbo.....turbo looks pretty damn expensive. anyhow i appreciate the input....time to continue looking.