New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my Ls1...mind if i join ya fellas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found my Ls1...mind if i join ya fellas?

I was in search for a 98 camaro, when i found one, and was ready to take her home, Hurricane Isabel decided she wante dto throw a sheet of plywood into the back hatch...But i stuck with it, and kept searching and I found another great deal, a 1998 Camaro Z28 with only 38415 miles on it. 6 speed manual, black exterior, grey interior.

I drop off my car tomorrow and pick up the Camaro tomorrow evening after she gets a bath. now its mod list time.
Im on a college budget so i gotta stay within my boundries but this is the list i've crafted so far....
SLP loud mouth catback, SLP lid, B&M ripper shifter, NR Aeromotive white gauges, Eibach lowering springs, slp skip shift eliminator, and finally "hopefully" a set of zo6 wheels.

I do however need a list of mods that will get me to 330-345 rwhp. I would love to do this wihtout changing the headers if at all possible. Help me do this, so i can hand some mustangs their asses.
Thanks fellas
T
Old 09-30-2003, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Found my Ls1...mind if i join ya fellas?

I personally do not understand why you would want to rule out headers. I think that has been my best mod to date. Get rid of the B&M ripper shifter, NR white gauges, and lowering springs. None of those will help you to hand a mustang its *** even though it is not needed. Z06 wheels maybe but again that will not add any power. Get the TB bypass, a CAI kit, high flow air filter, fernco, pulleys and some free mods as well as your list and you should see some results. I think trying to go the LOOKS/PERFORMANCE route at the same time sux. I would do one, then the other.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

I've got your loud mouth. I am going true duals. Got the 3" 40 series flow basterds in my room. I don't know where your located but if around NC SC GA I've a deal for you!
Old 09-30-2003, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

oh and for the list AHHH: free mods,lid, filter, any ram air kit, SLP 85mm MAF<---------(not recomended for later, due to tuning issues), Ported TB, LS6 intake, Off road Y pipe, cat back, (got your SLP loud mouth right here!)and a lead right foot. That should make what your want or more.
Pearsonally I would just buy a TNT or NX nitrous kit and a cat back (good sound)for when you wanted to whip some 03 cobra ***. All the bolt on mods above will cost alot and will not make even close HP/TQ to a cheap nitrous sys. and cat back.
BUT, Lid and filter are good bang for buck.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome!You might want to look into another lid other than SLP, I have heard that it doesnt flow as well as others. And dont wast money on the !CAGS from SLP you can buy a resistor for .50 cent and get rid of the skip shift your self.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

personally I think loudmouth's sound like crap. Yeah they flow great, but if you want a great combination of sound and performance then I would suggest going for the gmmg chambered. It is roughly the same price, and (in my opinion) is a much better system than slp's.

Fry
Old 09-30-2003, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Roughly the same price? The GMMG is $700 and the loudmouth are $350, which is TWICE as much.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loudmouth exhaust is the best bang for the buck. for $325 you get the best flowing cat back and a nice musclure tone. By the the way with a loudmouth,intake lid &amp; filter and a SLP MAF sensor you should be @330 rear wheel HP
Old 09-30-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Hell yeah!! I weant a GMMG for $300.00.. Hell i'll give you my Borla &amp; $300.00 for the GMMG!!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Don't forget that with those headers, you should get some QTECs, that mustang driver would **** his pants when you line up and your car sounds like a nascar. Besides, some users have posted 25+rwhp gains from them babies.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Forget lowering your car - Sure the stock camaro has one hell of a wheel well gap, but the ride after lowering the car isn't so hot - reminds me of my '92 that turned into a rattle trap after 40K.

I like the Pro 5.0 shifter myself, but that is up to you. If you get the K&amp;N FIPK II air filter system you also get smooth bellows with it - AND - it works best with yout STOCK mass air flow.

I have a loudmouth and I LOVE IT! Sounds awesome! I am going with SLP headers and off road Y, so I might need to go with a different exhaust (one with a muffler) otherwise I will be WAY TO LOUD!

Anyway, have fun! And take your time - I bought some simple bolt ons and went to the track only to find out that when I put some stock stuff back on - my car was faster... DO THE RESEARCH!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Sub frames: Get the subs. Won't add hp but you might flex less/hook up better and definitely good to prevent rattles.