Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 TA lowering kit and Raptor hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 TA lowering kit and Raptor hood

I have a 99 trans am (non ram air) and I would like to get ride of a little fender well space. With out reinventing the wheel, what are the best products to lower the car about an 1" to an 1 1/2" and still be able to pull into parking spaces without hitting the curb. Also, I'm considering a Suncoast Raptor hood and air box, any positive and negative feedback on this product would be helpful.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

strano springs are great but you should get shocks too. also, i dont think you can lower our cars at all without hitting the curb.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
strano springs are great but you should get shocks too. also, i dont think you can lower our cars at all without hitting the curb.
^^^^^^Ditto

Strano + Koni

Eibach makes good springs for Mustangs but they SUCK for F-bodys. They really screwed up for our cars so stay away from them. Look around in the suspension section.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

If you want to lower the back only, remove the rubber spring spacer in the rear, and replace it with a approx 13mm or 1/2" goodyear hose, this a cheap ($10-15.00 USD) and effective way to lower the rear of the car without losing the ride quality, it takes it down 3/4 - 1" depending on the spacer that was in it. It makes the car level and a good place to start to see if you have any roads you drive that may not be real freindly to a lowered car, and to see if you want to go lower. Also you will need LCA relocation brackets (Bolt in $75.00+) before you do anything more. Otherwise your geometry will be way off and the car will ride and handle bad, it also can have a very negative impact on your u joints. Also before going with a Hotchkis, Strano or Eibach lowering spring kit, I would get Adj LCAs, Adj PB, and ADJ Torque Arm, that way you make the adjustments needed to keep everything inline.

Also check your bumpstops in the rear if your car has some miles on it, now would be a good time to replace worn out ones. If you go lower than an inch you may need new shocks with a car with 60,000+ miles, so you see this can get expensive quick if done right, but it will feel like its on rails compared to before.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No LCA relocation brackets here and am fine. Stock LCA's too. Dead hook my MT DR's with low 1.7 60's no prob. Adjustable PHB is needed though to center the rear. 30k+ no u joint issues.

T/A relocation is good just to pull the stress off the tranny tailshaft.

Depending on your power and individual car you may or may not need all this...
Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

As for the hood if you want the oem style ram air hood check out Trufiber.com, they have good prices and depending if you live anywhere near anaheim you can go pick it up and pay cash i did that and got it for about 300.00
Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just an fyi, a good shock will do more for traction then any suspension piece you put in your car.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the feedback. I was really was hoping the strano springs would still keep the nose about a 1 1/2'' of the curb since it's about 3 inches off right now. Sounds like there is no quick kit that will get me where I want to be. I've gotta keep it driveable for when my wife must drive it without tearing it up . I love my TA and can't let that happen. Once again, Thanks